Another cheap tent rebuild for winter. 2022 this time

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Another cheap tent rebuild for winter. 2022 this time

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 01 Sep, 2021 1:50 pm

Next doors just gifted me this old tent to use or recycle.
No fly with it just the inner and the poles.
Thinking a bigger group shelter for winter 2022 at Pretty Valley; assuming no lock-downs and I'm still capable.
Not remotely winter capable "As-Is" but I reckon I can make it work with minimum expenditure.
The way the poles are made it will be easy to thread some PVC conduit over them and I know that gluing sections together makes them stronger.
OK that is one small problem solved already.
My main worry is handling snow load over night when the shelter is not occupied [ as per all past seasons most of us sleep in our small tents because it's warmer and our mountain tents are stronger by design.
I have tubing here to make a decent centre pole [ hybrid CF and alloy ] to support the crossing poles in the apex and I can work that out
I'd like peoples ideas for supporting the rest of the tent. The external frame I made and which didn't get used this year is going to be too small as this one is wider by 400mm
Layout is crossing poles in the middle and then two sets of transverse poles at each end, grey poles only slightly short than the yellow ones.
A massive 6500 * 3000mm floor area, which means a huge sail area and correspondingly the wind load would be huge too.
Hit me with your ideas peeples
Attachments
IMG_2009.JPG
Laying flat on the driveway
IMG_2009.JPG (166.38 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
IMG_2012.JPG
Driveway concrete is 4500mm wide
IMG_2012.JPG (153.1 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
IMG_2017.JPG
IMG_2017.JPG (142.98 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
IMG_2021.JPG
Inside view
IMG_2021.JPG (138.57 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Another cheap tent rebuild for winter. 2022 this time

Postby +dj_hansen+ » Thu 02 Sep, 2021 10:02 pm

I love a good Moondog tent modification thread. With those poles, could you add some additional poles/struts at the corner 'bends' to brace the tent longitudinally? Add additonal storm guy ropes and voila.
+dj_hansen+
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 03 Sep, 2021 8:40 am

The photo makes it look like the end poles are tilted but when tensioned at the floor they should be vertical. So I'm hoping that when reinforced and with a ridge pole the tent will be OK
I am having trouble finding 26mm C-clips tho, so it might be lengths of cord to do that job. The floor is degraded so the peg points are very weak so I'll need to do something about that.
All the zips popped open but squeezing the zipper pulls fixed that, probably I'll stitch the zippers shut and paint with silicon and keep a single entrance or have just the end entrances, one for normal use and the other "Justin Case"
I won't be able to do much sewing on this one due simply to its size.
Been thinking about simply using cheap double sided tape to close off all the mesh in the roof, using some of the cheap breathable fabric taken for other old, cheap tents.
Near enough being good enough for a single seasons use as this tent was going to landfill anyway
Except for the section where the flue from the wood stove goes, that will use an old fibreglass fire blanket siliconed in place and with a hole cut out. ALDI sell fire blankets for $5- each and I have some spare.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 03 Sep, 2021 8:44 am

Tents like this are relatively strong with the fly on [ relative to mild summer weather] and properly guyed out.
Guying this monster to survive an Alpine gale might be hard to achieve as there is only the one set of crossing poles. It might come down to how long it lasts in the first big wind rather than the first heavy snow fall.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 11 Sep, 2021 8:31 pm

Might not be doing much on this tent for a while if ever.
Cecile kindly gave me permission to buy a brand new winter basecamp tent.
Toms Outdoors had a Varanger lavvu for sale in the 14P version Skin and pole only.

https://www.helsport.com/en/tents/basec ... 9981044486

Thanks to Zip-Pay and $56- a month I bought it.
Should be here in a week.
I've had one before but sold it as it was simply too small for what I needed, this one is double the size but more importantly much taller.
Already having the Helsport tent stove was one reason Cecile said OK, the other was that it would have cost me at least $200- to fix the cheapie.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby telemarktim » Thu 30 Sep, 2021 6:36 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Might not be doing much on this tent for a while if ever.
Cecile kindly gave me permission to buy a brand new winter basecamp tent.
Toms Outdoors had a Varanger lavvu for sale in the 14P version Skin and pole only.

https://www.helsport.com/en/tents/basec ... 9981044486

Thanks to Zip-Pay and $56- a month I bought it.
Should be here in a week.
I've had one before but sold it as it was simply too small for what I needed, this one is double the size but more importantly much taller.
Already having the Helsport tent stove was one reason Cecile said OK, the other was that it would have cost me at least $200- to fix the cheapie.

Hi Moondog, I think you are going a bit soft to give up so quickly. That is a massive tent (more than twice the diameter of mine! Do you think the pole will be strong enough?
Did you get back to ski at PV? I got in one BHP ski week via Trapyard Gap in between the lockdowns.
Tim
telemarktim
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 30 Sep, 2021 8:18 pm

Not so much soft as growing old fast and not so much time left to do stuff in.
I do have some doubts about 32 mm aluminium being strong enough myself but I happen to have a 40mm carbon fibre and aluminium section that will slide over the pole as reinforcing if needed.
It may be one of the stronger alloys like 6061 tho.
Only a few days skiing as I fell and broke a bone in my spine that was so painful I needed to go home and see a doctor, snapped a transverse spinal process..
I may still do something with that old tent. I'll investigate the poles alloy further
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby telemarktim » Thu 30 Sep, 2021 8:30 pm

Sorry to hear about that. Sound serious.
telemarktim
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 01 Oct, 2021 8:43 am

Apparently not considered serious by the doctors but painful enough to need a lot of codeine
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 01 Oct, 2021 8:46 am

I'm wondering if that =cheap hybrid tent could be modified to use as an entry portal to the lavvu. Cut out the floor almost completely and use it as a place to disrobe and hang all the saturated wet weather gear?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby telemarktim » Fri 01 Oct, 2021 9:26 am

Moondog55 wrote:I'm wondering if that =cheap hybrid tent could be modified to use as an entry portal to the lavvu. Cut out the floor almost completely and use it as a place to disrobe and hang all the saturated wet weather gear?

Hi Moondog, Sounds like a great idea. You have nothing to lose especially as weight is not an issue for this tent. A funny thing was that I was thinking exactly the same thing about my experimental polyester tent after spending a rainy night in it last night. Interchanging between the wet outside and dry inside is still an issue in rain or snow with 'walk-in pyramid tents (But often worse with crawl-in type tents). I allocate the doorway area to this interchange, but an extension overhead would make it so much nicer to use. It also may provide an opportunity to massively improve ventilation under wet conditions I will be interested to see what you come up with.

Tim
telemarktim
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby telemarktim » Fri 01 Oct, 2021 11:09 pm

Moondog55 wrote:I'm wondering if that =cheap hybrid tent could be modified to use as an entry portal to the lavvu. Cut out the floor almost completely and use it as a place to disrobe and hang all the saturated wet weather gear?

Hi Moondog, I thought that you had ordered the biggest lavvu tent in the series and thought that the extra entry portal space was a bit over the top. But I see it is the 4 person one. That makes more sense. It would be good to be able to keep the wind and snow loading down by having the portal collapsible while you were not in attendance. shouldn't be hard to do.

Good to hear that your injury was not so serious to the doctor. Could you ski out? It is always a bit of a worry when you are 'out there'.
Tim
telemarktim
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 02 Oct, 2021 11:45 am

The more I think about things the better I like the idea of cutting the floor from that old tent, or most of it, and using it as an entry to the heated lavvu.
But no matter how close to each other they get pitched there will be a large bag between them due to the angles of the walls.
One solution would be a tarp or HD fly pitched as a diamond between them or one of the shaped tarps like my old Moss tent extender fly.
Where I'll be setting up next winter is dead flat by bush standards and there is plenty of room for two big tents.
I think if I was going to do that and I was cashed up I'd be getting the full liner and the lavvu floor but that money is being put aside for a couple of new subwoofer drivers for the home theatre
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear