SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Postby Drew » Wed 22 Jun, 2022 11:44 am

My partner and I are contemplating a visit to south-east Queensland in early August, maybe for 10-14 days total, and I'm looking at options for a multi-day hike, maybe 3-5 days. I'd love your recommendations!

Preferences:
- Something not too tricky to plan would be good.
- Can be easy/moderate/difficult but prefer to avoid scrub-bashing. We're experienced and fit hikers.
- Accessible by public transport would be a bonus. We might hire a car, in which case a circuit would be best. We could potentially fly into Brisbane, Gold Coast or Maroochydore.
- Not too fussed about what type of landscapes. I'm a mountain lover but my cold-sensitive partner might not see the value in escaping Melbourne winter to walk in the colder, higher altitude parts of SE QLD, so I think lower altitude, warmer places would be best.

If there are any must-do day walks in the area then I'd love to know about them too.

Thanks in advance.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:16 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Postby sandym » Wed 22 Jun, 2022 2:11 pm

Cooloola Great Walk. Both ends have bus service (have to walk onto a ferry and walk a little bit of gravel road at the south end). Very well set up walk with good walkers camps, well maintained and signed. As a mountain lover you will want to get up Mount Barney but it is a day walk,
sandym
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed 19 Sep, 2012 7:34 pm
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Female

Re: SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Postby CBee » Wed 22 Jun, 2022 2:35 pm

Girraween loop. Look no further.
CBee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri 21 Dec, 2018 7:18 am
Region: Queensland

Re: SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Postby Drew » Wed 22 Jun, 2022 3:38 pm

sandym wrote:Cooloola Great Walk. Both ends have bus service (have to walk onto a ferry and walk a little bit of gravel road at the south end). Very well set up walk with good walkers camps, well maintained and signed. As a mountain lover you will want to get up Mount Barney but it is a day walk,


Thanks Sandym. A friend actually did the Cooloola and loved it. Good to know it has public transport, so we'll definitely consider it!
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:16 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Postby Drew » Wed 22 Jun, 2022 3:40 pm

CBee wrote:Girraween loop. Look no further.


Thanks CBee. Is there a recommended/designated route for the loop? How many days? My quick googling reveals mostly day walks in Girraween.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:16 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Postby CBee » Wed 22 Jun, 2022 6:08 pm

You can design your own route and choose as many days to suit you.
I did a loop like this: rangers station, underground creek, bold rock (NSW), south bold rock (amazing), middle rock, stone gate, round house, mt. norman (amazing), sphinx, turtle rock, castle rock, pyramids, ranger station. Some manicured tracks, some fire trails, some faint pads, some off-track. You can climb (scramble) all the peaks (different difficulty). Camp where you want or use designated areas but on top of rocks is quite spectacular if there's not too much wind. Water is not too difficult to find. A bit cold in winter for QLD standards but nothing to be worried about. Scenery is quite different.
CBee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri 21 Dec, 2018 7:18 am
Region: Queensland

Re: SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Postby gbagua » Wed 22 Jun, 2022 8:49 pm

If you like the ocean Moreton Island circumnav. plus a quick detour to go up Mt. Tempest.

Otherwise I second Girra's loop.
User avatar
gbagua
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat 20 Oct, 2012 9:04 pm
Region: Queensland

Re: SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Postby Drew » Fri 24 Jun, 2022 10:10 am

CBee wrote:You can design your own route and choose as many days to suit you.
I did a loop like this: rangers station, underground creek, bold rock (NSW), south bold rock (amazing), middle rock, stone gate, round house, mt. norman (amazing), sphinx, turtle rock, castle rock, pyramids, ranger station. Some manicured tracks, some fire trails, some faint pads, some off-track. You can climb (scramble) all the peaks (different difficulty). Camp where you want or use designated areas but on top of rocks is quite spectacular if there's not too much wind. Water is not too difficult to find. A bit cold in winter for QLD standards but nothing to be worried about. Scenery is quite different.


Thanks CBee, looks like a good one!
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:16 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Postby Drew » Fri 24 Jun, 2022 10:14 am

gbagua wrote:If you like the ocean Moreton Island circumnav. plus a quick detour to go up Mt. Tempest.

Otherwise I second Girra's loop.


Thanks gbagua. Moreton Island certainly wasn't on the radar but looks worth investigating.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:16 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Postby CBee » Fri 24 Jun, 2022 8:06 pm

Drew, you liked the Western Arthurs so I'm confident you'll love Girraween. If you need more details, just shoot me a PM.
CBee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri 21 Dec, 2018 7:18 am
Region: Queensland

Re: SE QLD - recommend me a 4-5 day hike

Postby Drew » Sun 26 Jun, 2022 11:14 am

CBee wrote:Drew, you liked the Western Arthurs so I'm confident you'll love Girraween. If you need more details, just shoot me a PM.


Thanks! I'll see how I go selling it to my partner but will PM you if I need info.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:16 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male


Return to Queensland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron