Inreach upgrade?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Inreach upgrade?

Postby mtrain » Sun 28 Nov, 2021 11:57 am

Any rumours around about updates to the inreach mini? The messaging functionality is becoming dated and there is some good competition around now. I like the standalone gps functions but messaging on the zoleon seems much better so ive been holding off buying to see if garmin have anything new coming. Has anyone heard about an updated mini?
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Inreach upgrade?

Postby ribuck » Mon 29 Nov, 2021 2:45 am

Hmm, the Zoleon is 150g vs 99g for the InReach Mini. That's a hard sell.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Tazz81 » Mon 29 Nov, 2021 6:33 am

I’ve got the Zoleo - picked it up last week on special at Anaconda for $299. It’s a great little unit and the messaging is very fast. Also if you both have the app you can send 900 words per message. To be honest I was actually after an in-reach mini initially, but none were on special and at the end of the day they are all pretty much the same anyway. Sure the Zoleo weighs 60gm more and to some people that may be a deal breaker (weight has never bothered me - I even take some beers hiking!), but Zoleo is an Aus company and the subscriptions are in $AUD.
Last edited by Tazz81 on Thu 02 Dec, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 29 Nov, 2021 9:22 am

On first look it seems the zoleo is a capable unit.

Monthly plan is more expensive than the basic inreach safety plan though and there is no three free preconfigured messages. (that can be sent unlimited times). You do get more included messages with the zoleon but I only rarely go over my 10 on the inreach safety plan. Most of the time im using the 3 message unlimitted feature.

Agree the inreach software/UI could use an upgrade/update.. as could most Garmin products!
wildwanderer
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: New South Wales

Postby Dexter » Mon 29 Nov, 2021 10:11 am

If there was an option that was pay as you go, without a reconnection fee, I'd be all over one. At least last time I looked that wasn't an option.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Mon 29 Nov, 2021 6:04 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Agree the inreach software/UI could use an upgrade/update.. as could most Garmin products!

Agreed. Garmin makes fantastic hardware, but they don't seem to be able to get their software act together.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby mtrain » Mon 29 Nov, 2021 7:21 pm

Out and back podcast had an interview with the ceo of the company that makes zoleo. It was basically just a big add but interesting all the same. The weight difference is negligible and the messaging system sounds much better on the zoleo but I like the idea of being able to get gps locations etc off the inreach without a phone.surely Garmin will upgrade the capabilities of their unit soon.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Techno-Babble