Enlightened Equipment Torrid Apex Pants?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Enlightened Equipment Torrid Apex Pants?

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 1:21 pm

Anyone own or used them?

How are they holding up?

Warmth to weight ratio in your own use?

I have a very old -holes in them where the stitching has pulled- pair of Mountain Designs fleece pants that I wear over my baselayer when it is really cold, have slept in them on multiple occasions, not just when I am out of my sleeping quilt, now bag.

Contemplating down pants, but the EE synthetic caught my eye due to weight and apparent warmth.
Ms_Mudd
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Enlightened Equipment Torrid Apex Pants?

Postby Petew » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 2:39 pm

Montbell also do some synth pants which are ok. Used them on the OT in winter a few years ago. Not super toasty but definitely warmer than 100 wt fleece.
Petew

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 12:51 pm

Will have a browse of Montbell, cheers. the EE look a bit like a Glad Garbage bag, so without real world Australian use, I would be hesitant to pull the trigger on them.
Ms_Mudd

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 3:40 pm

https://www.oncegj.com/index.php?main_p ... _id=410698
Postage might be a killer tho, it's $32-. Wind pants over the top and you get to 2Clo. the buttons mean easy to put on if wearing skis or snowshoes
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby slparker » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 4:01 pm

i have a pair of montane prism pants which are pertex insulated with primaloft of some sort.

They are my go to camp pants for snow and really cold weather. They scrunch up small and weigh about the same as my fleece pants. IMO they're a pretty good option.

I got them for a much lower price a few years ago but they're nearly $200AUD now:

https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/mon ... pants.html

The EE Apex pants should be better as apex recovers from compression much better (apparently) but I haven't noticed decrease in warmth in my prism pants. They also don't do women's sizes - I tried to find a pair for my wife some time ago.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment