Nutritious food with no cooking

Food topics, including recipes.

Nutritious food with no cooking

Postby mountnman » Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could suggest some yummy, nutritious food (for dinner), that doesn't require heating or cooking (ie. no stove).

My normal 2 minute noodles and dehydrated meals are out, and surely there is a better option than sandwiches......
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Nutritious food with no cooking

Postby juney » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Mountnman,
The only no heat/cook meal I enjoy taking is brie, olives, sopressa, pesto or houmus etc, sourdough and red wine. A couple of friends I walk with have a Vietnamese background and they have taken rice balls with beef strips they do in a 5 spice mix - it was really yummy - I must get the details from them.
Cheers,
Juney :D
juney
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby rowan » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 8:08 am

* Flatbread keeps better than white bread on trips and makes great roll-ups with meat and/or salads.
* Not what you had in mind I think - but I love canned rice straight out of the can
* Muesli bars
* There are a number of things that keep well without refrigeration in cooler weather that can be used as/in a meal like cheese, smoked meats and sausage (not the BBQ type, lol).
rowan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Le-Loup » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 8:09 pm

A really interesting topic, interesting forum al together. Interesting because of personal choices and expectations. I mean I lust after a nice hard cheese and some crusty fresh bread, or some pre-cooked salt beef. Dried peas are good but need cooking. I usually carry oats and saltanas, they can be eaten dry or cooked. Popcorn is a good trail food, light but bulky, and of course jerky.
Regards.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life.” Henry David Thoreau.
Le-Loup
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Bush Tucker