Packing list OLT October so far

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Packing list OLT October so far

Postby Montiemoo_123 » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 9:38 am

Tent
One planet goondie nylon
Sleeping mat S2S ultralight R4
Sleeping bag S2S flame -10C comfort

Clothing
Patagonia torrential rain pants
Macpac traverse rain jacket
Arc’teryx atom lt jacket
Merino 260 base layers
Gloves
Buff
Beanie
Merino socks
North face Hiking tights

MSR whisperlight stove
S2S Xset pot and cup

Light weight down jacket for camp- macpac Uber light. For camp.

This is it so far obviously I haven’t included a lot of things yet. My main concerns are do I have enough warmth- clothing? Should I take more? Sleeping system is it enough?
Montiemoo_123
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Packing list OLT October so far

Postby Nuts » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 1:13 pm

Looks fine. If your sleeping bag is rated to be 'comfortable' @ -10 a cold spell wont get critical as at the coldest time of a day you can use that, rather than try to hang around outside it in extra clothes.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joynz » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 2:07 pm

Do you already own the gear in your list or are you intending to buy it?
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Montiemoo_123 » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 3:57 pm

I already have the tent and mat. But not the sleeping bag yet
Montiemoo_123
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Warin » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 4:34 pm

Sleeping system should include a separate set of thermals - only used at night. Some include a separate set of socks and a hat. These need to be kept dry the same as the sleeping bag, for use to sleep in. The sleeping bag ratings are done with thermals, you leave them out and the bag will not get the rated warmth.

You can hire a sleeping bag for the OT. And at least some of the other gear.

-----
BRS 3000T stove is cheaper and lighter.

No shirt? Ok .. your not there yet.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Montiemoo_123 » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 4:56 pm

This was just the start of a list I think I was really just trying to gauge if I had enough warm things. I would have sleep thermals, spare socks and was thinking a shirt might be a good idea
I haven’t got a stove yet so will look into the one mentioned.
Is it worth taking my bulkier down jacket too?
Montiemoo_123
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 5:01 pm

Montiemoo_123 wrote:I already have the tent and mat. But not the sleeping bag yet

So if you are buying a bag for this walk, the average October minimum is around +2 to +3c at the hut sites.
At the other extreme, If weight or bulk isn't such a concern, as it is for many, the -10c bag and even some insulated pants probably wont be too hot :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 5:28 pm

I normally walk in shoes but was glad I wore boots and gaiters for my trip. Daily distances are easy if you follow the itinerary and keeping your feet dry makes the trip more enjoyable. If you haven't got nice waterproof boots, I wouldn't rush out and buy a pair but if you do, this would be the time to use them.

BTW boots that haven't been worn for a long time do have the habit of parting company with their soles. Somewhere on the first day would be my guess.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 5:37 pm

I've recently purchased the Macpac uberlight down jacket. For me it would be too cold around camp, I'd take the heavier one. If you are staying in huts it might be ok.

Assuming you're taking more than one pair of socks - a pair of synthetic or wool/synthetic mix as merino could be difficult to get dry. Save the merino ones for night time. Not bamboo, that's even more difficult to get dry.

I'd definitely go for the -10C bag, women seem to feel the cold more. And you're more likely to have a cold snap than a hot spell !
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 5:57 pm

Will you be cooking or just boiling water?
I found the BRS3000 stove poor but even the better quality FireMaple Wasp is not so good for cooking on. A remote stove is a better option of you need to actually cook because you can use a full size windscreen around the burner and they are much more stable. It is a weight penalty of 90 / 120 grams tho
Just weighed the FireMaple titanium with the preheat tube 147g in its sack, the wasp is 37g. A windscreen another 50 g or so.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Montiemoo_123 » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 6:27 pm

I was planning on bringing some home cooked dehydrated meals for the most part so mainly heating up
Montiemoo_123
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joynz » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 8:24 pm

I have the BRS 3000 and it is great in calm weather (and only 25g) but takes ages to boil water in any wind.

Whatever you get, test it well before you go. When I did the OT one family group had a remote fuel stove (Msr I think) and found it really hard to keep a steady flame - or any flame - on their new stove.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 9:29 pm

Joynz wrote:I have the BRS 3000 and it is great in calm weather (and only 25g) but takes ages to boil water in any wind.

If you use the stove inside an OT hut ... wind should not be too much of a problem.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tino B » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 12:10 pm

I have a Soto Windmaster stove - not as light as BRS and much more expensive, but more fuel efficient, not bothered by moderate wind, better simmer control and more stable.

A mate has that down jacket - not warm enough to be safe. I’d recommend Dexshell WP socks because that time of year many parts of the track will be flowing like a creek. Dexshells get wet on the outside but liner socks and feet will stay dry.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zaeed » Fri 10 Jul, 2020 10:16 am

I used a jetboil zip to boil water for food rehydration and coffee, worked a treat.

I second the waterproof socks, I wore mine on the OT in Feb and had no issues with wet feet despite walking through a fair bit of water. Never trust your shoes to be waterproof. Dexshell also make waterproof gloves which are really good, saves on having to carry bulky ones.

Have socks for walking and socks for sleeping. Essentially have an entirely separate set of clothes to sleep in.

If you don't mind carrying it, take the warmer puffer, it can get pretty cold at camp, even in the huts, and the heaters aren't very good.

If you haven't got a bag yet, take a look at TierGear quilts, they're up in Deloraine, they're great.
Zaeed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby commando » Sat 01 Aug, 2020 9:30 pm

No shorts?
Wet legs dry faster than wet pants and leeches are easier to spot and remove.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby carpus » Thu 06 Aug, 2020 12:13 am

Atom LT is great for cold walking eg Mt Field West last year about -2, toasty in Macpac Prophet/ LT with hood up/ Icebreaker 200. Plus beanie/Buff/gloves.

I recently got the Uber light hoodie on a sale too good to resist, not sure if it's any warmer than the Atom. More for strolling around Salamanca or a summer campsite jacket.

Hit an October blizzard on the OLT in about 2000, needed a warmer jacket for postholing through knee-deep snow. Gaiters are essential for all Tassie except a few groomed tracks like 3 Capes, Freycinet, Mt Wellington.
carpus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Tortoise » Thu 06 Aug, 2020 9:34 am

commando wrote:No shorts?
Wet legs dry faster than wet pants and leeches are easier to spot and remove.

Some people get away with shorts, but I didn't. My first brush with hypothermia was on my first OLT trip. It was one January, in the freezing torrential rain that preceded the snow. Even if they get wet on the inside, overpants keep the wind out.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Thu 06 Aug, 2020 10:48 am

I walked the OT this week last year. I wore shorts the whole time, usually with some Macpac prothermal tights underneath. Occasionally with overpants. Seemed to work well.
Petew

Return to Equipment