Location of these images

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Location of these images

Postby guyburns » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 2:55 am

I'm scanning the Dave Pinkard image collection as part of an AV about Lake Pedder and the South West. Four of his images have me bamboozled. They were taken in the early 1950s, probably during trips to the Prince of Wales Range and the Spires. Dave's first trip to the area was in January 1951 with Chris Binks. The went down the old Jane River track to the goldfield, then across the northern end of the POW Range, down to the Denison River, and out by the Vale of Rasselas where they met Ernie Bond. Later trips he came in from the Vale or from the King Williams.

If anyone knows the location of these images and what the mountains are, please reply.

PD59: My guess is looking east from a scrubby part of the Denison Valley to the Spires; or maybe from the Jane River goldfield area to the POW.
PD059.jpg

PD79: Chris is pretty sure this one wasn't taken on their 1951 trip because of the formed track. Might not even be in the POW area. Port Davey Track?
PD079.jpg

PD129: Dave took panoramas which stitch together surprisingly well. From the southern end of the POW or Spires looking south? Doesn't look like anything I know at the northern end.
PD129 Pan.jpg

PD143: Somewhere in The Spires. Where?
PD143.jpg
guyburns
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Location of these images

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 5:30 am

No.2 looks like mt wedge from the old port Davey. The last image is the flame just above the font.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 11:12 am

Number 3 is fascinating.
Clearly a view south with Anne, Wedge & Sprent in view.
The sloping rock on the RHS of photo appears to be 400m due east of Mt Humboldt.
But lining up Wedge with the Eliza Plateau with a line through Sprent, the lines cross at the spine of the range about 1020m high about a km north.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby guyburns » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 4:40 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Re The Flame: Photo taken from The Flame or looking to The Flame and in which direction? If looking to The Flame, is The Font in the depression in the centre?

Re PD129, I have labelled the peaks (see below). Are they correct? I take Mt Wedge to be behind its label.
PD129 Pan.jpg
guyburns
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby eggs » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 4:46 pm

You have labelled correctly
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 8:04 am

guyburns wrote:Re The Flame: Photo taken from The Flame or looking to The Flame and in which direction? If looking to The Flame, is The Font in the depression in the centre?

I think it's from the side of Flame Peak. Looking roughly south, I think. Fairly sure the rocks on the top right here are some of those visible in the gap between the nearer big pointy bits:
Attachments
Sp148 copy.jpg
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby guyburns » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 1:04 am

Thanks for the comments. With the help of ILUVSWTAS's suggestion of Mt Wedge from the Port Davey track, and Google Earth, I located the exact position the photo was taken from –- on the side of Celtic Hill (Wedge 46.326, 46.530):
PD079 GE View.jpg

Just one more to go -- the first image. Any ideas anyone?

And here's a photo I've just scanned from negative, probably taken the same day that the PD129 pan was taken in January 1954. It shows Dave Pinkard (left), Max Burgess and Chris Binks on a POW high point. Dave will soon have a ridge on the northern end of the POW named after him, the ridge he and Chris went down on their first trip to the POW in 1951. Search for Pinkard Ridge here: https://www.placenames.tas.gov.au/#p0
BC030.jpg
guyburns
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 10:18 am

The 4th photo is certainly taken at the top of the gully where you climb up from The Font up onto the main Spires Ridge. So The Font is down, between the pinnacle and the bluff on the right. It matches quite close to my photo from 1977 -

[img]
BG25.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
BG25.jpg
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby guyburns » Tue 31 Mar, 2020 3:20 am

Thanks, Dave, for the extra info re Flame Peak.

One more photo, another pan, this time by Chris Binks. I'm fairly certain it was taken on the 1951 trip, so it must be somewhere along their route: down the old Jane River track, climbed Warnes Lookout, climbed what I refer to as Binks Peak in the POW (Nive 22.6, 0.80), out to High Rocky, then over the northern part of the Denison Range to Gordonvale. I've identified dozens of locations of photos from that trip, but this one's got me beat.
BC206 Pan.jpg
guyburns
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Azza » Tue 31 Mar, 2020 2:07 pm

P1040976-2.JPG

Looking West (maybe SW) from our campsite just below Diamond Peak.
Seems to match most of the features on the horizon?
Last edited by Azza on Tue 31 Mar, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Azza » Tue 31 Mar, 2020 2:08 pm

In fact that knoll on the far left could match what is in my photo.
Azza

Postby eggs » Tue 31 Mar, 2020 2:22 pm

Nice Photo Azza, but the foreground line up does not match the background.
It looks to be some distance north of Diamond Peak - but definitely in the right area.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 31 Mar, 2020 2:25 pm

Nice one.

Feature on the right skyline looks right.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Tue 31 Mar, 2020 3:01 pm

Pretty sure the sharper peak just right of centre in Azza's photo is the highest of the Cracroft Hills.
Chris Binks photo can also see Lancelot Hill on the far left - which suggests it might be near the 1043 high point about 2.5km north of Diamond Peak.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 31 Mar, 2020 3:10 pm

Which would be what they call Prince of Wales north peak? That makes sense eggs. Top job following up on Azzas instincts there.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby guyburns » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 10:57 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. Using Google Earth, Chris's diary, and the suggestions above, I've been able to locate the photo position exactly, and determine the date. Here's my index entry for BC206:

Wednesday 17 January, 1951: Panorama view SW from Binks Peak (Nive 225, 006) over Maxwell River valley to: Lancelot Hill (left valley), Mt Lewis (left skyline), Elliot Range (centre), Cracroft Range (right centre), Frenchmans Cap (off photo, right). See BC206 GE View.kmz for Google Earth location, and BC028 for a selfie of Dave and Chris taken at the same place.

And here are the two lads themselves, from where Chris (right) took the photo. He was 19. He's 89 this year. As soon as this virus thing has passed, I'll be taking my recording gear to Evandale to capture his narration for the Pedder AV. When I first met Chris last October, I had suggested his sequence might be 5-10 minutes in length, talking about his several Pedder trips. But turned out he and Dave have such a rich repository of early 1950s SW bushwalking images, that it'll more likely be 30-40 minutes, expanding to introduce the SW to the audience, with Pedder as its centrepiece.
BC028
BC028.jpg

This is the Google Earth mimic. If any of the mountains are incorrectly named, please comment.
BC206 (GE).jpg

Just one photo remains unidentified: the first one in this thread.
guyburns
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby stepbystep » Fri 03 Apr, 2020 6:06 am

guyburns wrote:He was 19. He's 89 this year. As soon as this virus thing has passed, I'll be taking my recording gear to Evandale to capture his narration for the Pedder AV. When I first met Chris last October, I had suggested his sequence might be 5-10 minutes in length, talking about his several Pedder trips. But turned out he and Dave have such a rich repository of early 1950s SW bushwalking images, that it'll more likely be 30-40 minutes, expanding to introduce the SW to the audience, with Pedder as its centrepiece.

Hi Guy, I do some work with the 'Restore Pedder' group led by Christine Milne - in fact we had a zoom planning meeting last night - when you make those recordings would it be possible to play them to the committee or more widely? Thanks, Dan.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Fri 03 Apr, 2020 11:05 am

guyburns wrote:Just one photo remains unidentified: the first one in this thread.

I can't find anything in my photos that matches the cliffs and ridge line.
It doesn't match the Northern end of the POW's.
And it doesn't really match anything I can identify in photos I have look at the Spires from the POW's.
Doesn't match Innes High Rocky or the Spires themselves as far as I can tell. Hard to tell with the low angle.

If I had to take a random guess, southern end of the King Williams?
Don't think it's the Gonk.
Azza

Postby eggs » Fri 03 Apr, 2020 2:59 pm

Don't ask me how they got there, but I think the first photo is on a spur up from Thirkells Creek looking to Agamemnon

Potentially.jpg

Edit - Google earth gives no view from there - but looks pretty good about 1.5km along that line - on a saddle at the head of Royle Creek
Last edited by eggs on Fri 03 Apr, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Fri 03 Apr, 2020 3:11 pm

It does have a bit of a frenchmans look about it. I did think that it might have been looking up towards Philips. But couldn't really remember anywhere along the Jane River Track where you could have gotten a view like that.
Azza

Postby eggs » Fri 03 Apr, 2020 3:36 pm

Almost positive this is Agamemnon based on the cliff patterns.
But the angle is difficult - maybe a little further north than my line?
Close enough in that Philps & Frenchman remain hidden, but far enough out that Agamemnon is clear of the nearby hills.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Fri 03 Apr, 2020 3:58 pm

I think the small knoll [small 430m contour ring] about 400m south-west of Counsel Pass is pretty much the right view in Google Earth.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby guyburns » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 1:58 pm

The first photo has now been nailed as well, thanks to all the recent input. I'd never heard of Agamemnon, but my index now reads:

Sunday 14 January 1951: View NW from the high point of Counsel Pass to Agamemnon. Photo taken around 12:15 from Vera (12.25, 14.1) about 200m NW of Spot Height 536. See PD59.kmz (https://www.mediafire.com/file/cb0607gp ... w.kmz/file) for Google Earth location.

Let me know if that link works on other computers.

Chris's diary for that day reads, moving south from Loddon area:

Sun 14th
    Up 0500. Weather fine, cloudy, broken. Wind westerly. Broke camp 0730.

0920 Stopped in small patch of trees after having come abt 3-4 miles. Mt Emmer bearing East; west peak 800 yards SSE, Frenchman Rg prominent head [Agamemnon] bearing little north of west.

10:15 Two miles from last entry. Keeping to bottom of valley we found a small well-built hut right below the pass, evidently a stage of the old Jane River track. Hut in good condition. All names dated about or before 1936 (except David Fleay). Cooking the billy.

11.20 Left Hut for Calder [Counsel] Pass.

12.15 Top of Calder [Counsel] Pass. Missed track a few hundred yards from hut. Hopelessly overgrown. We hit up towards the saddle, but struck some of the heaviest scrub I have ever seen, taking us about an hour to cover the quarter mile or so. From the pass the Frenchmans Rg bears NW, Wylds Craig E, Algonkian SE, and the Prince of Wales range about SSE.
    The country to the south, through which we intended to pass, looks impracticable, so we intend heading down along the track which is in a reasonable state here, until we strike some sort of lead through towards the range [POW]

Original photo (contrast corrected):
PD059.jpg

Google Earth mimic:
PD059 GE.jpg

And here's Dave outside the staging hut, north of Counsel Pass:
BC009.jpg
guyburns
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 2:10 pm

That's really cool stuff. Thanks for sharing mate!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 2:26 pm

So the Old Jane River Track came in over the Loddon Plains?
And the hut would be long gone?
I believe Agamemnon is only recently named.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby guyburns » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 2:38 pm

For anyone interested in the history of the Jane River goldfield and the associated tracks, here's a very interesting document: http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/mrtdoc/dominf ... 989_32.pdf
guyburns
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tastrax » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 4:42 pm

eggs wrote:I believe Agamemnon is only recently named.

Judging by the record in https://www.placenames.tas.gov.au/#p1 it may have been named as part of the Abels books. Bill Wilkinson is mentioned in the details of the naming (2007)
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Azza » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 10:15 am

Ah.. So the Old Jane River Track is not the current Jane River Track.
I seem to remember seeing maps with a track shown continuing south along with the Loddon Plains from where you would have turned right to head up to Lake Vera.

That makes a lot more sense with the view up towards Agamemnon.
Azza

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 10:23 am

I seem to remember an old map (I'll have a dig thru my old tramps) showing a big network or tracks in that area when the gold rush was on.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jmac » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 3:49 pm

Very interesting discussion, thanks, and great work with the archiving and recording of Dave Pinkard's and Chris Binks' memories! I did a number of bushwalks with David Pinkard in the 70s when I was just starting out. He led the first Launceston Walking Club trip I participated in, in 1978; a cold wet wintry trip to Mt. Ironstone.

Regarding the old Jane River Track:
As recently as 1937 the Jane River Track went from the West Coast Road through Counsel (Calder) Pass parallel to Thirkell Creek to meet the Jane near the junction of Thirkell Creek at Stannard Flats, where the Abels had built a substantial camp. Reg Morrison described typically walking from the camp to the road and back (both directions) for re-stocking in one day: "- the quickest we ever done it, and I could walk them days - was about five an' a half hours, and that's none-stop. A bloke used to come through from Hobart with fruit, axe handles, flannels, boots, socks - whatever you wanted. We had a depot at Stonehaven Creek, near the Frenchmans Cap Track - we used to pack to the Jane from there. The quickest we ever done it back out to the Jane was eleven hours, me an' Salsberger, with the eighty pound pack - you didn't want to waste any time either! We used to go long Calders Pass as they called it, and along Thirkells Creek - break out through the scrub to the button grass - there was a plain about a mile, or a mile an' a half long. That was a testing bit when you could see the camp across on the other side - you'd think Christ! I've got to get there. It would be near enough to dark. The camp was there when we went there - Abels had built the camp - huge log cabin." (ref: The Huon Pine Story, Garry Kerr and Harry McDermott, 2000)

I think I've located on Listmap approximately where Abel's log cabin was (on the west bank of the Jane), and intend to go and look for it some time, and also for Stannard's grave. Would be an interesting trip.

John
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Tasmania