Tasmanian Parks Closed

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Tasmanian Parks Closed

Postby north-north-west » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 7:05 am

People! :roll:

How hard is it to accept that you aren't the centre of the universe, that what you personally want is not necessarily the best thing for everyone, and that sometimes your preferences should take a back seat "for the greater good"?

Yes, it sucks. Yes, one person or household group on a remote walk are likely to be less of an issue than everyone gathering on the local beach and/or shopping centre while not following appropriate protocols. But no, you, personally, aren't more important than the overall health of our population.
Suck. It. Up. And stop whingeing.

Mechanic-AL wrote:...but the idea that some places out there wont be getting trampled on by humans, and for even a brief moment in time can go back to being the wild places they should be is one of the few things that is putting a smile on my dial at the moment.

There's a big environmental plus with what's currently occurring. If we could just stop FT from burning the island down as well, I'd be rapt.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby lefroy » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 7:24 am

Agree, mother nature is having the holiday of a lifetime.
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 7:30 am

Maybe reset the tourism vision. More likely double down on the sell-out.

.. I'd just put up with the personal limitations for now. Whatever takes focus away from the immediate remedy, all the fuss over freedoms, could seem very petty. Thanks can help, if you've not lost your job, home or a family member yet. Even some of those sending the message seem to think (or demonstrate) the cleanliness and social distancing are examples, for the exercise. Bunnings should close. This could get far worse. Stay home.. make like bears!
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rexyviney36 » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 2:48 pm

Some extremely worrying and selfish attitudes being posted here. If you have done the research on reputable sites, and can't see why you are being told not to go bush walking among things, then I'm afraid I can't offer anything meaningful to get you to see reason...I fear I would be wasting my time.

Good to read some sensible posts as well.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby myrtlegirl » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 3:46 pm

Yes, the Bunnings thing is stupid. It doesn't justify other stupid.

Risk assessment.
Activity: bushwalking in remote areas
Hazard: encountering Covid19 carrier or Covid19 contaminated surface
Risk rating: very low
Consequence: getting Covid19, and carrying it back to my household and infecting them as well
Overall risk rating: VERY HIGH
Mitigation: don't walk in remote areas

Or:

Hazard: injury/illness requiring medical attention
Risk rating: very low
Consequence: having to visit GP or hospital at a time when they are already stretched
Overall risk rating: VERY HIGH

Or:

Hazard: other corons* noticing and deciding they can break other rules too
Risk rating: very high
Consequence: community transmission of Covid19, with cases doubling every 3 days, which means 1 person is responsible for over 1,000 infections in 1 mth
Overall risk rating: CATA -F#NG-STROPHIC

(*morons who don't get the threat of coronavirus)
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tazz81 » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 4:28 pm

If you wake up in your tent with a fever/cough - how are you going to hike out? You’ll have to be rescued which means an entire MEDICAC crew is now infected...

Never underestimate the self entitled d$&kheads that are out there though. Drove past the Mt Anne car park last week to see 2 cars parked out the front. It’s the actions of the selfish that mean we all have to suffer.
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 5:28 pm

Maybe they left before Thursday?

It's all desperate and early days but I like the NZ model. Rather than the sacrificial lambs model.
It's being said we're too late for a lockdown in Australia but that doesn't stack up for Tassie?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Thornbill » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 6:10 pm

An update from Senator Wish-wilson

“Update on Tasmanian Parks and Reserves closure.

This afternoon after significant community feedback I have written to the Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein seeking an urgent meeting to discuss aspects of his policy to temporarily close our parks, beaches and reserves. I want to better understand the basis for such closures and see if there is any way forward to assist safe and healthy access for local communities in and around some parks and reserves. I understand this is a very sensitive issue for many and we are in uncharted waters, and it can’t be an easy job being the Premier of a State at such a time. I’m hopeful it will be a productive discussion.”
How would a cubist paint a flounder?
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 6:21 pm

Nuts wrote:Maybe they left before Thursday?

It's all desperate and early days but I like the NZ model. Rather than the sacrificial lambs model.
It's being said we're too late for a lockdown in Australia but that doesn't stack up for Tassie?

Anne tracks are still closed from fire damage. Unless they were track workers they have no business being there, virus or no virus.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rexyviney36 » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 6:49 pm

I hope it's a productive meeting too..."Sorry Pete. They're closed!"
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 7:44 pm

It will be a short meeting ..... Sorry Peter - stay home!
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Nuts » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 9:32 am

north-north-west wrote:Anne tracks are still closed from fire damage. Unless they were track workers they have no business being there, virus or no virus.

Ah, of course. The track is still closed.
Maybe they were trackworkers
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tazz81 » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 10:05 am

One of the cars had the name of a popular Franklin eatery stenciled on the side. So definitely not trackworkers! The car park was actually taped shut so they were parked on the road.
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ghosta » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 8:01 pm

Thornbill wrote:An update from Senator Wish-wilson

“Update on Tasmanian Parks and Reserves closure.

This afternoon after significant community feedback I have written to the Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein seeking an urgent meeting to discuss aspects of his policy to temporarily close our parks, beaches and reserves. I want to better understand the basis for such closures and see if there is any way forward to assist safe and healthy access for local communities in and around some parks and reserves. I understand this is a very sensitive issue for many and we are in uncharted waters, and it can’t be an easy job being the Premier of a State at such a time. I’m hopeful it will be a productive discussion.”

I hope some junior staffer has been able to explain what has been going on in the world lately in a manner this hapless senator can understand...unbelievable ignorance.

Not everyone is listening.
ghosta
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby stepbystep » Wed 01 Apr, 2020 11:05 am

Interesting to note Mt Gutwein yesterday stated going hunting and fishing is fine, going for a walk is not.
Never underestimate how powerful the hunting and fishing lobby groups are..... he's a politician from his toes to his nose. Also, gun shops were very busy the last few weeks :twisted:

There are many advantages to nature from this event, apparently bird song can be heard in London again, smog is lifting, stars can be seen. People are learning to go without and to 'make-do' with what they have. The attitudinal shift humanity needs in order to respect nature rather than always exploit it may actually begin .... unfortunately nature-haters like Gutwein will be falling over themselves to smash it all up in the name of economic recovery....

Missing a fagus fix this year will be really sad for me personally, the fagus won't be missing me/us that's for sure!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rexyviney36 » Wed 01 Apr, 2020 12:24 pm

I walk and I fish, both salt and freshwater, and I am shocked that "recreational fishing as long as it deemed essential" is ok. All freshwater fishing is off limits mind you. But the recreational, instantly means it is not essential. I thought they were clear on what were the acceptable reasons for leaving the house: essential services work travel, medical appointments etc, essential food shopping, and exercise in family groups.
Walking - yep 100% agree with blanket bans across the board from reserves to NP's, but Fishing? Nup....not even close, no way!

Some of the mixed messaging has caused more unnecessary stress than it needed to.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thornbill » Wed 01 Apr, 2020 12:41 pm

To illustrate your point Rexy, I don't think all freshwater fishing is off limits? This is the most recent advice on the IFS website https://www.ifs.tas.gov.au/news/2020/mar/27/closure-tasmanian-parks-and-wildlife-service-managed-land. My family owns a shack at the Lakes. If we decided to stay up there for the next 4 weeks as our chosen place of isolation, I think we would still be allowed to fish? Same goes for PWS land vs local council reserves and trails which, at least where I live, are still open. No wonder people are confused. The messaging at the moment is a bit messy. I understand this is all a bit unprecedented and that people may respond with "it's pretty simple, just stay home". Which I think most of us seem to be doing finally, but you can't blame people for wanting be informed of exactly what they can and can't do. And at the moment, it's not very easy to find that out.
How would a cubist paint a flounder?
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 01 Apr, 2020 12:51 pm

Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 7:46 am

stepbystep wrote:Never underestimate how powerful the hunting and fishing lobby groups are...

Well, the hunters can enforce their demands...
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stuie88 » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 10:48 am

north-north-west wrote:People! :roll:

But no, you, personally, aren't more important than the overall health of our population.
Suck. It. Up. And stop whingeing.

Tazz81 wrote:
Never underestimate the self entitled d$&kheads that are out there though. Drove past the Mt Anne car park last week to see 2 cars parked out the front. It’s the actions of the selfish that mean we all have to suffer.

You have successfully joined hoards of keyboard commandos who can feel important by shouting down the mass of people who are confused by mixed messaging. Congratulations.

In a country where our freedoms have been inalienable for generations it surprising to me that people who project themselves as intelligent, feel like it is obvious that we could all untangle the closures and new legislation, much of which pops up overnight with no cohesive messaging, is different state to state and even region to region, and does not always follow the health experts advice.

North north west, there are rules in every developed country for isolating prisoners because the impact is so high. Penal systems endeavor not to inflict it on people who have already been segregated from society because of the known impact to people's mental health and rehabilitation prospects. Can you really be surprised that people are having a hard time coming to terms with being forced to remain in their home, say in the example of my mother in law, on their own?

Tazz81, you cannot possibly know what people were there for on your drive past. It is highly possible that people were breaking rules. Maybe they volunteer for a landcare group. Show me some data before you spout off.

And for anyone suggesting people are entitled and stupid, justify to me the difference in risk between taking my 6 yr old son from the same household rabbit shooting on a family members private property 10 minutes from here, compared to say, going 10 minutes to a shopping centre to buy him some Lego to stay in the house. I've been encouraged in a statement by the prime minister that the latter is fine, but I'm receiving notifications from Victoria police and the GMA making it clear the former is not and will be heavily fined. And before you get smart about it, I already own everything I need to go hunting and my work car is already getting regular fuel anyway.
And because some people seem to struggle to read between the lines, I have not taken my boy out hunting despite his burning desire.

A lot of people are forgetting compassion and realism in their online discussions, happening on a very broad scale. Things are not black and white, as a nation we are navigating grey areas that we have never contemplated before, and unfortunately a lot of people are too caught up in being a good guy to pay attention to that. Even now in the early days people are reporting people to police who are just walking their dog.

I thought this site would be a great resource but it seems like its always the same people talking over others and making assertions that carry knowledge but lack wisdom. To everyone, everywhere I would say before you post something, reply to someone or call someone an expletive or question their intelligence or intent, consider if you would choose those words to make your point face to face.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
stuie88
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 1:47 pm

stuie88 wrote:...consider if you would choose those words to make your point face to face.

1. We can't actually do that right now. It's called "social distancing".
2. As anyone who knows me even slightly will tell you, tact is not exactly my strong point. Yes, I would use the same words - or far stronger - to someone's face if the occasion demanded it. And in the current circumstances, the occasion demands. That's why my post was worded that way.

North north west, there are rules in every developed country for isolating prisoners because the impact is so high. Penal systems endeavor not to inflict it on people who have already been segregated from society because of the known impact to people's mental health and rehabilitation prospects. Can you really be surprised that people are having a hard time coming to terms with being forced to remain in their home, say in the example of my mother in law, on their own?

I have serious mental health issues (actually serious enough to get me on DSP, and if you have any idea how hard that is, you'd have some grasp of their gravity). My preferred management technique is bushwalking; mostly multi-day off-track solo trips. Apart from two trips for supplies, a not-really-justifiable visit to a friend's house and one medical appointment, I've been stuck at home since getting back from the last trip just over a fortnight back. Given the situation, it's unlikely I'll be able to have a decent walk for another couple of months at least, and by that time I am not going to be in a good state. Being here alone I can easily deal with; alone is my preferred state. Not being able to get out bush may kill me (no, I am not being melodramatic here). So, yes, I think I do have a reasonable grasp of how hard the current restrictions are on many people.

But I'm no more important than the anonymous whoevers to whom I addressed my last-but-two post. I, too, have to suck it up and stop whingeing.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tazz81 » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 2:42 pm

Stuie88,

Mt Anne has nothing to do with the current restrictions - it’s been closed for over a year since the bushfires. It’s shut because the fires destroyed most of the track infrastructure. It’s also shut because the sensitive alpine environment needs time to recover before its trampled on again.

People are still thinking these restrictions don’t apply to them and are regularly walking it. A hiker had to be rescued because they were lost up there (no infrastructure means no track to follow). The two cars I saw were not parks, not landcare and not track workers. They were parked outside the taped off car park.

My point was essentially whatever rules that are put in place, the selfish few will flout them. This means more draconian lockdowns for the rest of us. I spent 10 years in the Navy where we had a term “one in all in” - this meant that if someone broke the rules we are all punished, funnily enough it used to work.
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby taswegian » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 3:27 pm

These are testing times indeed.
Testing for those who abide and for those who don't.
There's a responsibility, accountability matter at stake plus what sort of leading or example are each one of us to those around us, those in our household, our own family, our kids?

We can chose either route.

I've just come back from a grocery pickup at our smallish IGA shop. I asked the young girl (16?) serving me if people were being kind to her. Her response was disappointing.
Here's someone willing to put herself out to help others and suffer the abuse from more than a few.
My heart went out to her as we are so quick to condemn the youth of today for their "everything bad about them".

For any not being 'priveleged' to infectious diseases then I'd suggest some light reading would soon uncover stories that are both sad plus encouraging as people pulled together and battled on in the height of all the restrictions placed on them.

Keep safe and enjoy life.

NNW, I trust you will be able to bring up the many pleasant memories of your past encounters with the great wild and wide outdoors you cherish, know so well and for now live off them and for better times ahead.
That beauty will faithfully wait your return.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stuie88 » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 6:32 pm

north-north-west wrote: As anyone who knows me even slightly will tell you, tact is not exactly my strong point.

That's exactly my point, and I think it escaped you. Now more than ever we should be trying to walk a mile in someone's shoes before they cop a judgement. Sympathy doesn't mean not getting your point across, it's in the delivery

Tazz81 wrote:A hiker had to be rescued because they were lost up there (no infrastructure means no track to follow). The two cars I saw were not parks, not landcare and not track workers. They were parked outside the taped off car park.

That hiker broke the rules and I don't condone it. The other two may have had different intentions, maybe they aren't as you judged them. Maybe they are. Would you prefer to be afforded the presumption of innocence in your day to day interactions?

It's a shame that people can be so quick to leap to condemning, how quickly we forget our own experiences and how they differ from the next person.
I remember my dad stopping on a road and hoppong over into a paddock at a farm near home to snap a picture of a small lake that had nice light on it. Had to jump a fence and everything. Was on the paddock out of site of the road for about 5 minutes. Trespassing by the letter of the law. There's deer around there too.

Too many people assume the worst and it's miserable to listen to.
In this era, where have recently become divorced from our normal social supports without any real experiential framework to understand it, everyone should seriously consider how they interact with the people around them, and whether they are having a positive impact or perpetuating a mentality of judgement and competition. Especially from the perceived safety and anonymity of the internet

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
stuie88
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 7:01 pm

taswegian wrote:NNW, I trust you will be able to bring up the many pleasant memories of your past encounters with the great wild and wide outdoors you cherish, know so well and for now live off them and for better times ahead.
That beauty will faithfully wait your return.

Even a grumpy old curmudgeon like me can't help but be touched by that comment. Thank you. I can only hope we all get through this more or less safe and sane.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 9:35 pm

I’m sure there are others here who were also emotionally affected by those kind words from taswegian. I too hope for your sake that his optimistic prophecy is fulfilled.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Azza » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 10:39 am

I live in spot bordering on a popular park. Its literally a few metres from my front door and I'm not allowed to go there. It's for the greater good of the community.
Unfortunately the rules must be much stricter and penalise the majority because you can't trust the minority.
So far I've observed numerous mountain biker coming past, they get to the gate of the park.. quick look around to make sure no one can see them and they dart up the track.
I also saw a group of bushwalking sneaking through the scrub obviously trying to avoid being seen from the road.
Are they doing any harm - probably not? Clearly their behaviour to conceal their actions means they know they're doing the wrong thing.
And why can't I go for a walk since its in my backyard and I'm not coming from outside the local area.
But I have to do the right thing for my family and community.
Azza

Postby Rexyviney36 » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 3:29 pm

I am with both sides of this last little discussion - the mixed messages make some of the restrictions hard to comprehend. BUT, I conform as a role model to my students, my kids, and the community, and also because if someone like my mum gets Covid-19, she's cooked and that scares me. Especially now there have been 3 cases at Burnie hospital.
Plenty of people have summed it well, and better than I can no doubt, but Azza's post above also applies directly to me and where I live. I would have no problem giving a mountain bike a bit of a friendly serve if I saw one entering Trevallyn reserve. To everyone's credit thus far, I haven't seen any in my street since it has been shut. I sincerely hope it stays that way until restrictions are lifted - the major point being, the more we adhere to the guidelines the quicker we can all get back to whatever normal looks like after this.

F#*@ing BATS!
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 4:24 pm

Rexyviney36 wrote:F#*@ing BATS!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Is that how it crossed over?
north-north-west