Othrys from the lake

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Othrys from the lake

Postby LeftRightShoot » Sat 08 Feb, 2020 6:59 am

Gday,

Ive seen some older posts suggesting an Othrys ascent from Lake St Claire is quite a challenge however Im after some more recent experience if possible. I've had reports that Cuvier is a battle as well so I'd rather do a "short sharp" battle than a long drawn out one. Plan is to paddle to Echo and attack Othrys, Olympus and possibly Ida.

Screenshot_20200208_074522_menion.android.locus.pro.jpg

Any advice appreciated.
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Othrys from the lake

Postby Hot073 » Mon 10 Feb, 2020 7:08 pm

Have only climbed Othrys from Cuvier Valley and it’s a scrub bash but quite doable,not overly long.
When you say Cuvier I assume you mean Mt Cuvier?I climbed Mt Byron a few weeks back then went over the saddle to Cuvier Shelf to camp climbing Cuvier the next day.Its quite a battle through the scrub from Byron to Cuvier Shelf,some parts are ok on pads but the thick stuff is really slow going,also there are no water sources between Byron Gap and Cuvier Shelf.
Mt Cuvier itself is a short climb from camp at the shelf.
Hot073
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 11 Feb, 2020 6:05 am

Cuvier valley is at this time of year the best it gets. There's been track work recently so it's pretty good IMO. Depending on where you leave the track to climb Othrys will be how bad the scrub is. Its annoying scrub but certainly far from horrendous.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 7:27 am

Looking at The List imagry it looks like a wandery route from Cuvier to the saddle between The Apostles and Othrys has areas of scree & low shrubbery to link together to make an alternative scrub crunch route.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby bushwalker zane » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 9:46 am

Othrys from the lake is quite nice and fairly quick in my experience. Lots of beautiful open rainforest. There are several cliff lines, but are easy enough to negotiate by going around them. Very steep, but really nice. Once in the scrub beneath the peak it's relatively open, and then not long before the boulders are attained. Well worth it! And then you can go back via the Cuvier Valley; or vice versa.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LeftRightShoot » Tue 18 Feb, 2020 1:53 pm

Thanks Zane, yes I was very surprised how open it was. I effectively went up the gully heading for the saddle. I got to the "big" cliff line at around 1050m and ran out of time. I did have to fight a bit through there up higher but on further examination of the sat images I see there may be options to the north or the south. South looks like the better option but I'm worried about hitting cliffs further up. Can you offer any advice on where you entered and when you hit the top before heading for the summit?
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bushwalker zane » Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:31 am

LeftRightShoot wrote:Thanks Zane, yes I was very surprised how open it was. I effectively went up the gully heading for the saddle. I got to the "big" cliff line at around 1050m and ran out of time. I did have to fight a bit through there up higher but on further examination of the sat images I see there may be options to the north or the south. South looks like the better option but I'm worried about hitting cliffs further up. Can you offer any advice on where you entered and when you hit the top before heading for the summit?

I came out on that board shoulder before the ridge gets more defined to the north. Then scooted on the eastern side of the ridge, passing through the small saddle, before coming up to the summit from the west. So I came up to the south of the summit, but didn't run into much issue.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania