Mt Inglis via Lake Will

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Inglis via Lake Will

Postby headwerkn » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 8:07 am

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone's done Mt Inglis via Lake Will recently? My partner and I are looking to do it this weekend, hoping the route across the plain might be a bit less scrub-bashy than the 'other' route around Barn Bluff. Apparently there's no lack of button grass, but otherwise it looks fairly open and easy to essentially bee-line up the eastern ridge of Inglis?

Cheers, Ben.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Inglis via Lake Will

Postby Tortoise » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 9:26 am

Sorry I can't answer your question.
But for what it's worth, I was talked out of the Lake Will route, twice, by those who had done it. The overgrown pad to Innes Falls may have been cleared now people are encouraged to visit the lake from the OLT, but after that there's still some unpleasant scrubbiness, apparently. I agree it looks ok on the aerial view. Either way, heading up the ridge to Inglis, we found it a lot more open when we stuck a bit closer to the southern side of the east ridge. (Rockmonkey's description of some other bits was helpful too.)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 9:42 am

The only scrub on the Barn Bluff route to Inglis is the ascent from the campsite on the low point of the divide, and it's pretty short. Old man buttongrass is a beast to travel over.

A circuit, going up the usual way and down via the spur west of Will is on my hit list. As is the country out to and beyond Pencil Pine Bluff, maybe trying to follow the line of the old Innes Track to the Murchison River.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby headwerkn » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 11:00 am

IMG_0143.jpg

Summit'd Inglis from Lake Will on Saturday - big day out (about 42km, left Dove Lake at 4:10am, back at car 7:40pm!).

Went the 'Abels' route from Lake Will, not too bad except for a ~1km section of denser scrub and scoparia on the way up to the Fury Divide, and another scoparia section just as you come up onto the eastern ridge of Inglis itself.

On the return trip we stayed a little further north on the ridge, then went further south inline with the large, low grassy patch you can see on aerial footage. Much easier picking a line through sparse buttongrass and coral fern. Will do a full trip report this week.
headwerkn

Postby weetbix456 » Thu 30 Jan, 2020 10:02 am

Nice big day out by the looks of things! Just a reminder about the websites sensitive area posting ethic when detailing off track walking destinations.
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Return to Tasmania