Tas layering system based on existing gear

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tas layering system based on existing gear

Postby coimon » Mon 13 Jan, 2020 11:21 am

If you already owned the items listed below (I do) what would use use / replace / acquire to make upper body layering system(s) for active and camp use on multi-day walks in Tasmania?

- Columbia Outdry Ex Featherweight jacket
- Mont Power Dry Silk Weight long sleeve crew
- Macpac Nitro Polartec Alpha pullover
- Patagonia Houdini
- Random fleece with neck zip and low collar (280g)
- Uniqlo 'Ultra Light Down Jacket'

I'm thinking tracks across the range of OLT, Three Capes (free), Freycinet Circuit. Other names ringing in my head for the future include South Coast track, stuff in WoJ and Frenchman's Cap. Will usually choose to walk outside full winter but either end of the season isn't out of the question.

Thanks!
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Tas layering system based on existing gear

Postby Joynz » Mon 13 Jan, 2020 5:46 pm

I’m not familiar with all these specific items. However, it can be helpful to divide them into categories like this and see which item fits where and if you have too many of the same thing:

1. Base layer (next to skin) e.g. polypropylene long sleeve shirt, merino tee shirt etc
(1.1 - Also, I always also wear a sunscreening long sleeved shirt over the first tee shirt layer if it’s warm & sunny - doesn’t really add warmth).
2. Mid layer e.g. light fleece. (might just be used when you stop for lunch or in camp or as an extra layer for sleeping.)
3. Warm layer (e.g. light puffy jacket) uses as per 2 . Might not be needed in summer - but I would always bring to alpine areas just in case.
4. Waterproof/wind proof layer (rain jacket)
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 13 Jan, 2020 6:19 pm

It's an interesting question really. As locals we have the advantage of seeing a weather forecast which influences what gear comes. In summer I generally have a long sleeve shirt, long and short sleeve thermal and a down jacket. With the goretex jacket I find this is more than enough.

If it's super cold you are probably tent bound anyway.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby coimon » Mon 13 Jan, 2020 8:03 pm

Joynz wrote:I’m not familiar with all these specific items. However, it can be helpful to divide them into categories...

Yep, I can address all those categories with what I have, just wanted to see if there was anything glaringly wrong / poor / inappropriate for Tasmania. Probably unhelpful that I mention a number of tracks and no specific time of year. Appreciate the reminder to make sure I have the layers covered though!

The way I think about it at the moment is:

1. Base layer: Mont Power Dry Silk Weight
2. Active layer: Macpac Nitro
3. Mid / warm layer(s): Fleece on the trail, puffy in the camp / sleep. Feels like overkill when I type it out like that. I have pondered getting a Patagonia R1 and using it for both.
4. Water/windproof: Columbia Outdry Ex Featherweight

ILUVSWTAS wrote:It's an interesting question really. As locals we have the advantage of seeing a weather forecast which influences what gear comes. In summer I generally have a long sleeve shirt, long and short sleeve thermal and a down jacket. With the goretex jacket I find this is more than enough.

If it's super cold you are probably tent bound anyway.

I'm lucky enough to have a base in Tasmania should I visit, so bringing 'everything' and then leaving some behind depending on the weather at the time is an option. As for tent bound, I have a warm sleep system and solid tent.
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby andrewa » Mon 13 Jan, 2020 10:18 pm

My system varies as to what I’m doing, weather forecast, and how long I’m away for.

As to brands, and specific items, that’s really up to you, and your weight limitations. I generally have a personal maximum weight if 300g per item, ideally less.

I weigh everything, as it’s surprising how much some stuff weighs, - eg fleece vs a lightweight down/synthetic insulated jacket, for the warmth provided. Even a relatively simple shirt can be >300g.

Eg

Lower
- some form of longjohns , which should dry quickly, and be able to be used throughout the trip , unless wearing shorts.
- ultralight shorts -? Light nylon running shorts
- waterproof overpants- can be worn at night, or even slept in, negating the need for long or zip off pants.

Note:
If the longjohns dry off quickly, there’s no need for spare dry stuff to sleep in.
Undies are another issue. I’m a commando type person.

Upper

- a thermal top, of whatever type suits...it should be able to dry quickly whilst wearing it.
- a shirt, if required. It’s another 300g, and doesn’t add much over whatever thermal top you’re wearing
- a warmer layer ? a ~300g jacket with hood ( mine are synthetic. Hood is important)
- perhaps another jacket that is similar if it’s really cold
- an outer rain jacket. Again, weigh it.

Remember that you can sleep in everything, includung your rain gear, to keep you warmer. If the design is right, it should wick moisture away from you, and dry with your body heat.

I’ve given up on taking spare dry clothing. One set of well designed stuff works well for me for 10 day trips. (Yep, I smell at the end!).

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby coimon » Sun 19 Jan, 2020 9:41 pm

andrewa wrote:I weigh everything, as it’s surprising how much some stuff weighs...

Remember that you can sleep in everything, includung your rain gear, to keep you warmer. If the design is right, it should wick moisture away from you, and dry with your body heat...

I’ve given up on taking spare dry clothing...

Yeah I weigh everything as well, certainly get some strange looks when you tell people you spent an evening weighing socks and sunglasses. :lol:

My sleep system is very warm already, and I'm not averse to makeshift layering as you outline and VBL'ing with space blankets etc, though I have never needed to.

Ditto for spare dry clothing, managed well I haven't found it necessary. I guess one day I'll find the exception to that :roll:
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby slparker » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 10:06 am

My clothing set is almost exactly the same as the OP and is what i generally take to Tas for 3 season walking, less the 'random fleece' as the Nitro fulfils this duty so the second fleece is redundant. For a coastal walk this looks like a good setup to me.

if colder/wetter/higher weather is likely (it is Tassy after all) i'd substitute the uniqlo down with something warmer or synthetic (if you intend to use it over your waterproof in short stops) and add waterproof pants as the columbia jacket is short.

I have walked in near freezing driving rain all day in a base layer, nitro and coumbia featherweight and it is a great combo, although the hood on both the nitro and featherweight is sub-optimal in my opinion.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby coimon » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 1:18 pm

slparker wrote:My clothing set is almost exactly the same as the OP and is what i generally take to Tas for 3 season walking, less the 'random fleece' as the Nitro fulfils this duty so the second fleece is redundant. For a coastal walk this looks like a good setup to me.

if colder/wetter/higher weather is likely (it is Tassy after all) i'd substitute the uniqlo down with something warmer or synthetic (if you intend to use it over your waterproof in short stops) and add waterproof pants as the columbia jacket is short.

I have walked in near freezing driving rain all day in a base layer, nitro and coumbia featherweight and it is a great combo, although the hood on both the nitro and featherweight is sub-optimal in my opinion.

This is very helpful, thanks. Helpful coincidence with the gear too.

I have waterproof pants and carry them down there. I've been thinking the same thing about the uniqlo down, never actually used it for walking and I'm likely to buy a Montbell Thermawrap or similar soon that would take its place.

I've heard that about the hoods, annoying but it's rare a piece of gear is perfect unfortunately!
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby slparker » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 2:24 pm

Someone versed at comparing CLO and insulation is better placed to comment than me but I would think that the thermawrap is probably no warmer than the uniqlo down. In saying that, I wouldn't use the down, or the Thermawrap, for walking in. That is what the nitro midlayer is for - it adds warmth and handles sweat/moisture well.

Adding another layer to a base+nitro+ windshirt +/- rain jacket when walking is overkill - are you really going to get that cold walking?

In that case the uniqlo down is probably sufficient for camp at sea level but you might need a warmer insulation layer or add your existing extra fleece to the uniqlo down for altitude.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 3:48 pm

- Columbia Outdry Ex Featherweight jacket
- Mont Power Dry Silk Weight long sleeve crew
- Macpac Nitro Polartec Alpha pullover
- Patagonia Houdini
- Random fleece with neck zip and low collar (280g)
- Uniqlo 'Ultra Light Down Jacket

If it were me and I was walking multiday in cold rain prone areas I'd drop the down puffy and houdini wind shirt. Keep the two fleeces and have another base layer.

You can rely on the outdry rain jacket, it's the only rain jacket I trust for multiday rain because it can't wet out. Used it in days of torrential NZ rain on several trips now. I like the hood coverage but the adjustment pull cords are terrible. Wish it was longer.

If the base layer becomes wet(due to sweat as can happen on a hard uphill hike in the rain) then it's good to have a spare. In theory they dry while you're walking but if your walking in wet, cold misty conditions then even the baselayer will struggle to dry quickly as the air is saturated. In the meantime without a spare your cold and damp. . Been there got the tshirt :?

I should mention my spare baselayer doubles as sleep wear plus final day returning to civilization on public transportation wear. It's nice when the bus driver and fellow passengers don't suspect your a hobo due to dirt and smell. :lol:

Rain pants are needed.(edit. Noted your bringing them).

Can wear the two fleeces together at camp in cold conditions. Can wear one fleece if needed in very cold conditions when walking or during early starts until you warm up.

I don't like down in wet conditions as if it becomes wet its useless and won't dry. Also if you buy a expensive ultra light puffy you tend to have to baby it to prevent it tearing, where as fleece is much more robust.

If it's cold and wet I like gore Tex lined shoes. Hotter weather I stick to faster drying and lighter trail runners.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby coimon » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 7:51 pm

slparker wrote:Someone versed at comparing CLO and insulation is better placed to comment than me but I would think that the thermawrap is probably no warmer than the uniqlo down. In saying that, I wouldn't use the down, or the Thermawrap, for walking in. That is what the nitro midlayer is for - it adds warmth and handles sweat/moisture well.

Adding another layer to a base+nitro+ windshirt +/- rain jacket when walking is overkill - are you really going to get that cold walking?

In that case the uniqlo down is probably sufficient for camp at sea level but you might need a warmer insulation layer or add your existing extra fleece to the uniqlo down for altitude.

I agree, I can't see me wearing more than base, nitro, and a wind or rain shell when walking. Any other layer I considered as camp-only, with the Thermawrap coming into my thoughts for the benefits of synthetic insulation.

It seems I have enough clothing already for the timing and kind of walks I'd likely do, so any other acquisition or alteration would just be for convenience / utility / other circumstances (winter, altitude) etc.

wildwanderer wrote:If it were me and I was walking multiday in cold rain prone areas I'd drop the down puffy and houdini wind shirt. Keep the two fleeces and have another base layer.

Can wear the two fleeces together at camp in cold conditions. Can wear one fleece if needed in very cold conditions when walking or during early starts until you warm up.

Yeah, seems I can swap pieces in and out depending on expected conditions. I don't carry spare dry layer for walking, but will sometimes carry a sleeping layer on longer walks in case things get soaked. Not as much of a concern in Queensland I find.

Cheers
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Tasmania