Precipitous Bluff

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Precipitous Bluff

Postby Falconsofjupiter » Wed 08 Jan, 2020 9:50 pm

Hi fellow adventurers,
I was hoping to get some general advice on the walk into PB from Lune River. I am from Nth NSW and have been hiking up Mount Warning each month with bricks in my pack to get fit. (It’s quite a climb, about 2 hours, and the track is a bit rough!) I also think I will invest in some good sturdy boots for the PB trip. I am planning on taking about 5-6 days for the return journey just in case the weather is bad. I have done a bit of car camping around Byron Bay to get used to sleeping in my tent.
Any thoughts/advise would be great
Falconsofjupiter
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Precipitous Bluff

Postby stepbystep » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 6:57 am

Hey mate, the trip into PB is a pretty serious undertaking. If you haven't done any walking in Tasmania I'd suggest trying something else a bit less hectic and working up to a Southern Ranges trip.
Most people would take up to 8 days return from Lune River. The track is a mix of good to very rough and is difficult to identify in places. In addition the Southern Ranges is highly exposed, the windiest place in Tasmania. Car camping around Byron is no way to prepare for such an undertaking, you'd need to convince me you have far more experience in wilderness expeditions for me to give you any further advice.
I hope that doesn't sound patronising, I'm trying to give you realistic advice.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wander » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 7:11 am

What stepbystep said.

Maybe spend 4 days with 6 days food in Walls of J Area.

Then South Coast Track another trip.

Then maybe PB.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Crawfinator » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 7:45 am

Hi Falconsofjupiter,

Separate to whether you have the experience for such an undertaking.

What time of year are you looking at going?

Also - i would suggest investing in some quality gear and testing it first! Do you have any good hiking stores up your way?
Crawfinator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Falconsofjupiter » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 8:02 am

Hey Crawfinator (I love that name sounds like you would rip up some dude that looked at you funny) We have a big Anaconda store up here that have real solid looking packs! I am eyeing off a Black Wolf pack based on the sales guy’s recommendation, he said he had one and it has been awesome! I am looking at doing the hike in a few months, maybe when it cools off a touch, don’t really want to be walking in full-on hot conditions!
Thanks for the advice all, can’t wait to get out there!
FoJ
Falconsofjupiter
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby weetbix456 » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 8:27 pm

Another vote for what Stepbystep said. I'd highly recommend another overnight walk in Tassie prior to get at the very least a taster of what Tassie can throw at you before tackling this beast. If you do go anyway and find it tough work by Pigsty Ponds/La Perouse - my advise would be to turn yourself around.
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby bernieq » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 9:03 pm

I've walked up Mt Warning as well as out to PB from Lune - there is no comparison. Mt Warning is not a rough track, it's clear and benched all the way, including the last pinch to the top. The 'track' from Lune is a footpad, frequently disappearing into 2-3m high thick scrub. Very easy to lose the route and find yourself in real trouble - and that's in good weather.

Do you have a topo map and compass (and know how to use them)? A GPS and track? A PLB? Going solo or with others?

DSCN0135.jpg
an easier bit of the route to PB

I'm assuming you don't have Tassie off-track experience - if that's so, you really need to do some other stuff first (see earlier posts).

Recall NNW's comment in another thread in answer to "What's the worst that can happen - that I die?"
A. "No, someone coming to rescue you dies".

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Region: Victoria

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 4:55 am

Totally agree with what others are saying.
But even so 5-6 days return? While that's certainly possible, they will be long painful days.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Falconsofjupiter » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 6:21 am

Some great feedback fellow adventurers! Really appreciate the info. I enjoy solitude so will probably be travelling solo, however would be open to company if the right person was to materialise. I am not really a compass person but have already purchased the South Cape 1:100,000 map to familiarise myself with the area. Just - few further questions
1) Being a vegan I prefer to try and source food from the endemic flora, what are the wild berries and nuts like in the area? Of course I will be taking plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and plenty of spinach due to its light weight!
2) Regarding the ‘scrub’ am I best to wear long pants, or will board shorts be ok? I dont want to get scratched up too badly but also sweat a lot and constantly wearing trousers whilst perspiring can cause issues for me
Thanks again
FoJ
Falconsofjupiter
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 6:56 am

Starting to wonder if this is for real or not.... but I'll continue.

You could wear shorts, but yes obviously your legs will get ripped to pieces.

And you could eat some local flora, but without knowing what's what you could die.

All that aside though it's a great walk.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gatesy » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 10:10 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Starting to wonder if this is for real or not....

+1

Its a great walk. But I totally agree with what Stepbystep has said.

Having been a few years ago, in some brutal weather, it would've been very hard to get through if I wore boardshorts. I wore my goretex rain pants everyday until I got off the range due to the rain, occasional sleet and scrub.

While there are some flora on the range you could eat, it probably isn't substantial as a meal, but bare in mind its also national park and part of TWWHA. I respect that you're vegan and thats fine, there are plenty of vegan meal preppers who you can read about online for multi day hikes. I'm not sure how slimy spinach would be come days 4 onwards.

Also, you should familiarise yourself with a compass, as there's a lot of high altitude plateau walking where visibility can be minimal.

I suggest you have a lot to prepare for as others have stated, however we're just giving you the heads up.
In saying that, good luck for your trip and if it goes ahead, enjoy it.
gatesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby lefroy » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 10:53 am

I was going to when I saw the first post but didn't want to jump in too early just in case. I call *&^%$#!...
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 3:46 pm

Mt. Warning to PB with anaconda gear. The mother of all trolls.
CBee

Region: Queensland

Postby Tino B » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 5:59 pm

This has to be a troll. Training any easy walk with a few bricks, car camping. Black Wolf gear is not suited to any serious endeavour. Vegan eating fruit, veg, spinach coz it’s light. Not a compass person. 100,000:1 map. Unrealistic time frame.

Just joined, 3 posts. Do we want this kind of stuff in our community wasting the time of the knowledgeable members. Maybe the mods might do something.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Falconsofjupiter » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 7:45 pm

Hi all, just because all nature lovers don’t experience the outdoors in the rational way most of you seem to doesn’t mean that I am not genuine about this experience! I kind of feel more determined now to reach PB and share some amazing pictures of my experience. Stay tuned...
FoJ
Falconsofjupiter
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby lefroy » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 8:01 pm

All the best Falcons, I'm sure you will have an amazing time, wouldn't bother with a PLB, they are overrated anyway... Jk
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tino B » Sat 11 Jan, 2020 12:29 pm

Maybe consider bare foot so the weight of boots doesn’t impede your progress.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whynotwalk » Sat 11 Jan, 2020 12:30 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Starting to wonder if this is for real or not....

Yep! It very much reminds me of the inner dork I channelled to write a piece called 11 Dumb Ways to Die While Bushwalking. You can find it here http://www.naturescribe.com/search?q=ways+to+die

I'm not trying to offend FoJ, but your thinking is remarkably like that of the person I was only pretending to be! If you're serious, take the good advice offered here by people who've been there. If not, thanks for the fun,

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 11 Jan, 2020 6:02 pm

Falconsofjupiter wrote:Hi all, just because all nature lovers don’t experience the outdoors in the rational way most of you seem to doesn’t mean that I am not genuine about this experience! I kind of feel more determined now to reach PB and share some amazing pictures of my experience. Stay tuned...
FoJ

Trying to run backwards with a blindfold before you have learnt to crawl is not an "experience", it is arrogance and ignorance on steroids. You may be physically fit enough to deal with the walk, but physical fitness is only 10% of what is necessary for a trip like this, and not the most important 10%.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby tastrax » Sat 11 Jan, 2020 6:58 pm

Just remember to grab a PLB before you go

https://parks.tas.gov.au/explore-our-pa ... acons(PLBs)%3Cbr%3E
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Tino B » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 10:43 am

After reading Whynotwalk’s piece and considering what you have posted, I can see that none of the issues raised apply to you. Your training, preparation, food choices, timeframe, clothing and experience seem more than adequate.

As they say in Japan, 頑張ってください , and see you on the other side.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dee_legg » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 12:27 pm

I’d just like to know what makes someone a ‘compass person’ or not...
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aardvark » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 12:57 pm

I've no doubt there are many people who carry a compass and still don't know enough about effective usage.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 1:24 pm

dee_legg wrote:I’d just like to know what makes someone a ‘compass person’ or not...
Generally directionless

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 2:25 pm

dee_legg wrote:I’d just like to know what makes someone a ‘compass person’ or not...

Personally;
when I change hemispheres I tend to go 180 degrees off my intended direction .. I think I am picking the sun in the wrong arc :?
when I cannot see the sun or shadows produced by the sun for some time .. my internal compass a become confused.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 2:57 pm

I think I have a pretty good sense of direction but much of that is an unconscious awareness of the sun. For me it takes only the slightest increase in light levels to trigger that awareness not even shadows. I agree with Warin and I have got turned around several times in the Northern Hemisphere and now am very careful about confirming north-south rather than rely on "intuition".

As for the op's questions so much depends on the weather. He obviously hasn't experienced a decent sou'westerly blow when there is nothing between him and Antarctica/Tierra del Fuego. A few days hunkered down in a tent or a bit of low cloud and he will likely be off over Moores Bridge and soon well lost. I don't know what the stats are now but in the past I believe only 1 in 3 groups made it to PB.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Falconsofjupiter » Mon 17 Feb, 2020 9:22 am

Really sad to hear that my good friend had to be rescued by helicopter over the weekend in Tassie, she is fine, just a little shaken up. I did try and encourage her to take a compass based on the suggestions from this thread. Also, getting really excited about my PB trip shortly! I am feeling really fit and confident!!!
FoJ - peace
Falconsofjupiter
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby RicktheHuman » Mon 17 Feb, 2020 9:55 am

Falconsofjupiter wrote:Really sad to hear that my good friend had to be rescued by helicopter over the weekend in Tassie, she is fine, just a little shaken up. I did try and encourage her to take a compass based on the suggestions from this thread. Also, getting really excited about my PB trip shortly! I am feeling really fit and confident!!!
FoJ - peace

Fitness is required for PB, and so is confidence - the type of confidence gained from other remote, hard bushwalks on vague tracks in the SW Tasmanian wilderness. Have a good walk. Don't forget to take a compass....and a PLB
I lika do da cha-cha
RicktheHuman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matagi » Mon 17 Feb, 2020 12:03 pm

Falconsofjupiter wrote:Really sad to hear that my good friend had to be rescued by helicopter over the weekend in Tassie, she is fine, just a little shaken up. I did try and encourage her to take a compass based on the suggestions from this thread. Also, getting really excited about my PB trip shortly! I am feeling really fit and confident!!!
FoJ - peace

Was she the one off HIggs Track? Didn't take a map according to the ABC report.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Tortoise » Mon 17 Feb, 2020 4:12 pm

FoJ - peace

An even more piscatorial odour, methinks.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Tasmania