Lake Rodway Private Tour 'Base Camp'

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Rodway Private Tour 'Base Camp'

Postby Nuts » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 2:10 pm

Here's the brief:

Here's where the development application should be listed (none received so far):

https://www.kentish.tas.gov.au/planningapp
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lake Rodway Private Tour 'Base Camp'

Postby bushwalker zane » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 1:50 am

Nope.

Also, bleedy oodles of people explore that part of the park. Sure less than other areas, but I've been down at SKH when there's been a phenomenal amount of people camping and staying in the hut.

Blegh.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stepbystep » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 9:13 am

So are they allowed to be doing their geo surveys already given no DA has been lodged?
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby scrub boy » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 9:35 am

It's normal to do preliminary stuff prior to approval otherwise you can't gather the information you need for your DA etc. They would still need approval from Parks to take samples.
scrub boy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Wed 14 Aug, 2019 8:50 am

bushwalker zane wrote:Nope.

Also, bleedy oodles of people explore that part of the park. Sure less than other areas, but I've been down at SKH when there's been a phenomenal amount of people camping and staying in the hut.

Blegh.

It's very popular with local walkers.

The valley has also had a commercially used campsite, in use for at least 50 years. You could stand among the tent spots and not recognise this place.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hot073 » Mon 19 Aug, 2019 8:30 pm

I love it when you’re out walking and run into a tour group on a summit or at a waterfall and they give you daggers for being there,as if you’re detracting from THEIR groups experience!
Hot073
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 11:09 am

Well! they do pay more! ( :) )
I apologize on behalf of those guides.. if it was me, staring daggers is a default, was likely lost in thoughts about the pain of getting back down.

To digress;

It's a funny ol world. Once had a group visiting D'Alton Falls. A solo, well known, Tassie photographer was set up there when we arrived. Despite a low-key friendly greeting from our mob, he huffed and grunted expletives as he took the tripod down and made a fuss of getting past everyone in haste.

Ironically, it was probably his images among those that inspired these people.

And on it goes, enter a whole other cohort who are not only inspired by scenery, but visioning their place in it as one that involves private lodgings, just like home. A spa and chardy at the end of a dry boot day. Attitudes devolve, the modified experience becomes the norm. The familiar sweet smell was rain coming/ now Chanel N0:5.

And some people will be fine with that.. but then miss the moment. When the Rodway circuit is highlighted and made more popular the new norm includes such lovely things as permits, fees, hall monitors, regulations.. and whatever comes next? What is too far?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby farefam » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 1:50 pm

Quite true Nuts.... the hordes, the hordes. We humans really have become a plague, an uncontrolled infestation rampaging across the planet. The inevitable end product of unrestricted, out of control breeding. A recent trip to Canada and the Western USA reminds me of why us Australians are so lucky to live in a less populated part of the world. There's no doubt that it's a difficult balancing act between encouraging people to enjoy the great outdoors without it then tipping over into overcrowding and over development, which does significantly degrade the quality of the experience. I find I tend to go exploring in off track areas and remote spots a lot more now days for that very reason. Whilst in the past I have liked to share the photographs of those adventures, I find myself becoming increasingly reluctant to do so in future, given the trend of governments trying to "privatise" parts of our National Parks. I visited some extraordinarily beautiful but remote spots this year, but would be horrified if they were ever to be "developed" with glass floored lookouts, fly in lodgings, bridges etc. It would totally destroy the special atmosphere of these places. I tend to think the previous WHA plan of keeping certain areas designated as core wilderness, with no development allowed is the correct approach. As much as possible, leave no trace you were ever there so that others can experience the same privilege in the future. Olegas perhaps said it best in his famous speech.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby weetbix456 » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 10:07 pm

Just plain greedy. They have already massively implemented themselves on the overland track, and made it very difficult for the tent based tours to stay competitive..now tapping into a part of the track they haven’t previously been able to access due to time restraints (Cradle Mt Summit), further pushing out companies that may have needed to adapt their trips to accomodate such, a market edge.

If they plan on circumnavigating the mount they will still have to use parts of the overland track, further impacting the experience of those that continue past the usual end of the hoards at kitchen hut..never mind the fragile environment itself. No way their hut won’t be seen from Mt Emmett, and most probably coming down off the cirque. Barn Bluff Hut stands out shockingly and I’m sick of seeing it. Never as good as they claim. Ongoing audits should be mandatory, to hold accountable statements made during approval stages. Ohh and if I own a chopper can I just pop down into SKH when ever I please??! Why does this company keep receiving executive rights to everything??! Why were the geo guys in there recently??Someone knows more than we do, that’s for sure.
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby Hot073 » Wed 21 Aug, 2019 4:53 pm

Notice they sweeten it up by saying they will employ an indigenous guide if it goes ahead!Seriously,what they’re are proposing and what they already have going in other places is not even bushwalking anymore!
Hot073
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby weetbix456 » Thu 26 Sep, 2019 9:44 am

Rumour has it TWC are planning for an October DA announcement - very well timed it seems to coincide with the result of the Lake Malbena tribunal appeal. Don’t be fooled into thinking this is less important than all the other EOI within the TWWHA just because it is close to existing tracks and in the Cradle day walk vicinity. Strings have been pulled - and zoning was changed much the same as other sites to accomodate this proposal. I’m not too sure on the process of geo survey permits needed prior to a DA - you would assume it should be tough for any operator to start poking around fragile environments collecting samples. Also, does anyone have more info on whether this project needs to go through the EPBC act?? What a sham.
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby bushwalker zane » Thu 26 Sep, 2019 10:26 am

weetbix456 wrote:Rumour has it TWC are planning for an October DA announcement - very well timed it seems to coincide with the result of the Lake Malbena tribunal appeal. Don’t be fooled into thinking this is less important than all the other EOI within the TWWHA just because it is close to existing tracks and in the Cradle day walk vicinity. Strings have been pulled - and zoning was changed much the same as other sites to accomodate this proposal. I’m not too sure on the process of geo survey permits needed prior to a DA - you would assume it should be tough for any operator to start poking around fragile environments collecting samples. Also, does anyone have more info on whether this project needs to go through the EPBC act?? What a sham.

Malbena appeal has been delayed to the end of October. I wonder if TWC will still make an announcement given that fact?
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 18 Jun, 2020 1:45 pm

Thanks for the updates TNPA. I expect other stakeholders will be consulted advised asap.

https://tnpa.org.au/lake-rodway-commerc ... -proposal/
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania