companions for overland track, departing 11 Feb 2019

For people seeking walking companions or transport for the Overland Track in Tasmania
Forum rules
This forum is for people seeking walking companions or transport for the Overland Track. There is a separate forum to find walking companions and transport for other walking areas.

1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

companions for overland track, departing 11 Feb 2019

Postby nativecat » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 10:59 am

I'm booked for the Overland Track, departing Cradle on 11/2/19. I was going to do it with my sister but she has had to drop out, so I'm looking for someone also departing on that date who might like to team up. I'd be happy to remain self-sufficient in equipment and catering, but it would be good for safety to have a buddy or two. The OT is well-defined and well-travelled, but it is still remote from civilisation and it would be an asset to have some companion or companions in case of an incident requiring evacuation. I do own a PLB, which could be a useful thing if you break an ankle in Waterfall Valley, or wherever.
I am a fit and healthy 64 year old and have plenty of experience, including bushwalking in Tasmanian conditions. Some would describe me as shy and reserved, but I'm usually in a good mood when I'm out and about in the wild places, doing what I enjoy most. I hope to hear from someone.
nativecat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: companions for overland track, departing 11 Feb 2019

Postby Ilaria53 » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 1:41 pm

Hi I ve just read your notice and it s exactly what I look for! I m Italian 53yo visiting Australia and NZ for 2 months. at the moment I m Syd going to Tasmania on the 31st. i plan to walk in Tasmania till the 22feb then move on to NZ for others walks with Tassie friends. i m experienced bush walker. Fit. Every winter I do 2 month bush walks. If you think this is could be a good opportunity as I think please call me on 0497602183 or email me. Thanks Ilaria
Ilaria53
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby Warin » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 2:29 pm

Note that the Overland track is booked out on that date. Unless nativecat has retained the extra booking for your use your out of luck.
See https://bookings.overlandtrack.com.au/o ... etails.asp

P.S. fingers crossed with the fires.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Snooze » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 8:43 pm

There seems to be two very active Facebook groups dedicated to people intending to walk the Overland Track in the near future. They're called "Overland Track Tasmania" and "Overland Track 2018-2019". You may as well ask there too. Good luck!
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ilaria53 » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 8:30 am

Dear Warin and Snooze thank you very much for your advices and made clearer to me booking is mandatory. it seems OT is over crowded as Rome! May be it s better to post my add to go somewhere else. In Tasmania I did just South west track so I’m open to any destination ... I keep my finger crossed!
Ilaria53
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 10:59 am

You may have trouble finding a multiday walk that isn't in a fire affected area. Possibly the Walls - there are plenty of track options there and some great off-track stuff although you do not want to get too far south. There's also the Tarkine coast walk - the worst of the crowds will have gone by the 11th as school will have resumed - or the Tarkine forest loop which has both long and short versions. Or Frenchmans, which is a shorter option unless you add some (mostly off-track) side trips.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Ilaria53 » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 4:20 pm

North north west you are great! Thank you very much that was exactly the info I needed, i immediately start searching the name track you gave me. No booking are requested, does it? Many thanks
Ilaria53
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 4:31 pm

Not for those. Actually, as an independent walker, the OT and the glut version of (Two Out of) Three Capes are the only Tassie walks that do require booking. So far.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ilaria53 » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 5:52 pm

Too kind many thanks again. Enjoy life! Great to have met you here
Ilaria53
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 6:01 pm

You could also do the Penguin-Cradle Trail. Some bits similar to the OT in that they're alpine ridges, but also drier forest, rainforest and one hell of a river gorge section through the Leven Canyon. That bit is harder than the OT but most of the rest is pretty straightforward.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ilaria53 » Mon 28 Jan, 2019 1:48 pm

North north west if I keep to read you I d be forced to move to Tasmania!!!! Hard decision to take what to do. Thank you
Ilaria53
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Warin » Mon 28 Jan, 2019 2:18 pm

Ilaria53 wrote: it seems OT is over crowded as Rome!

:D
Not quite Rome. They limit it to ~ 30 per day starting.Very easy to start at a different time to everyone else, or join up if agreeable. I think it is a fair system and it should work.

See it before more changes take place. Actually see anything you can before more changes take place. Changes usually provide for more people...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Mon 28 Jan, 2019 3:54 pm

Ilaria53 wrote:North north west if I keep to read you I d be forced to move to Tasmania!!!! Hard decision to take what to do. Thank you

I moved to Tasmania. I can highly recommend it!!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Find Companions or Transport for the Overland Track