Accommodation at Thredbo

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Accommodation at Thredbo

Postby onward » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 6:30 pm

Day 9 of my AAWT and I am camped in a saddle just before Mt Anderson (and yes it is going to be a cold night!!). I have been carrying a terrible cold for the last 4-5 days and it is not making hiking enjoyable. Hence i want to spend a few days in Thredbo to recover. Any recommendations or suggestions for comfortable but not overly expensive accommodation?
Thanks
Martin
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Accommodation at Thredbo

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 7:04 pm

The YHA should have space. It's about $35/night plus a possible guest fee. The website is unhelpful on this point. I'll contact the hostel and see if they have space and ask the costs. Had a typo above - "gust fee".
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby anne3 » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 7:21 pm

Stayed at the YHA in 2010 and it was great. They were also happy for me to post a food drop there. (Future reference for other AAWT walkers).
Walking the walk
anne3
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 7:41 pm

Definitely the yha. They are used to smelly bushwalkers and are happy to hold a food drop. I found I was running a day late last time - rang them from Schlink Pass and left a message on their answering machine. They changed my booking without any problem.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby climberman » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 9:33 pm

If you are not already a YHA member you will need to join. This can push up the overall cost of a few nights a bit.

Otherwise I have enjoyed staying at Candlelight Lodge, as an alternative.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby onward » Sat 01 Apr, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks all I'll phone the yha this morning the Candlelight is already booked out.
So much for the fine calm night predicted...>60kmh winds reported by thr Thredbo top station. Not much sleep in a little sinylon TarpTent (SS1) but it is as it fine
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 01 Apr, 2017 10:48 am

I received an email from Thredbo YHA:

The rooms we have at Thredbo YHA that can cater to your room request are Double/Twin Room or Double/Twin with Ensuite. We also have dorm beds available for a cheaper option. The price for these rooms are as followed:

Double/Twin: Member- $80.50 (Sun-Thurs) and $83 (Fri & Sat)
Non-member- $89.50 (Sun-Thurs) and $92.50 (Fri & Sat)

Double/Twin : Member- $92.50 (Sun-Thurs) and $95 (Fri & Sat)
With Ensuite Non-member- $103.50 (Sun-Thurs) and $107.50 (Fri & Sat)we have a few vacant beds at the Thredbo YHA.

Dorm Bed: Member $30 per night
Non-member: $35 per night

If the person wants to call us on (02) 6457 6376 to make a booking there will be some at reception between the hours of 8AM-10AM and 3PM-8PM.
If you have you other questions do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Craig
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby onward » Sat 01 Apr, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks Lophophaps
Lucky to get accommodation with a downhill bike racing event on and 3 weddings. But yha clean and comfortable. Never stayed at one before but impressed. Showered, wash ed clothes, just had fish for dinner and a large glass of red, now ready for bed (which you have make yourself). A couple of days and the Cascades and Cobberas.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby climberman » Sat 01 Apr, 2017 8:22 pm

onward wrote:Thanks Lophophaps
Lucky to get accommodation with a downhill bike racing event on and 3 weddings. But yha clean and comfortable. Never stayed at one before but impressed. Showered, wash ed clothes, just had fish for dinner and a large glass of red, now ready for bed (which you have make yourself). A couple of days and the Cascades and Cobberas.

Good to hear, rest well and travel safe.
Hard to believe how busy Thredbo can be in the 'off' season :)
climberman

Postby madmacca » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 1:37 pm

Another vote for the YHA. Very reasonably priced in the off season, and their own kitchen helps keep your costs down (although the lure of a pub meal can be strong). Holding a food drop is useful, plus they also have laundry facilities.
madmacca

Return to AAWT