AAWT between Walhalla, Howitt and Hotham

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Re: AAWT between Walhalla, Howitt and Hotham

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 02 Mar, 2020 11:37 pm

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/aawt- ... st-4196250
Baw Baw N.P. I walked with friends along the AAWT between Mt.Erica camp site and Phillack saddle on 29/2/20 and March 1st 2020. The track is in good order and water was easy to find.
paidal_chalne_vala
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA
Region: Victoria

Postby shankspony » Mon 09 Mar, 2020 8:32 am

I"m considering doing a food drop on Walhalla-Matlock road (and driving all the way between the two to do car shuffle between Walhalla-Rumpff Saddle). Does anyone know what the road is like, and if it's accessible all the way with a regular 2wd car?
there's no time to waste like the present - the sky's your oyster
shankspony
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby stry » Tue 10 Mar, 2020 2:39 pm

Walhalla to Matlock is fine in any car.

Rumpff's saddle itself I'm not so sure. The saddle is east of the Jamieson to Licola Road, not the Walhalla Matlock road. I'm not up with current conditions of the tracks leading to the saddle. You might be able to get in by car, or, if no 4wd is available to you, you may need to employ your namesake.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby shankspony » Tue 10 Mar, 2020 6:34 pm

thanks stry! Wow, thought Rumpff saddle was going to be the easy bit i.e off a bitumen road (albeit with a big circuitous route from Matlock). Guess i need to do a bit more investigation! p.s. The namesake will definitely be involved, but it's keen to minimise the pack-horse associations!
shankspony
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mr Bean » Wed 11 Mar, 2020 3:31 pm

Rumpff Saddle itself is a short walk off Jamieson / Licola Road (maybe < 1km, from memory) down Barkly River Jeep Track, a rough 4WD track. But the Jamieson to Licola Road is an easy 2WD road (except winter).
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby shankspony » Thu 12 Mar, 2020 3:04 pm

Thanks Mr Bean - yep it was the Licola Rd i was interested to know about, so thanks for the info. That sounds good - i don't need to get a car to the saddle itself.
shankspony
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 14 Mar, 2020 2:26 pm

Track clearing on the AAWT from Phillack saddle to Stronach's camp will be taking place in April. Contact Bushwalking Victoria if you think you might be able to assist . The working bee participants will camp at Stronach's camp and walk into the area each day over 4 days. Whether you are carrying fuel and bar oil for chainsaw users, lopping back branches with manual tools or just raking up debris so that nobody slips on it after it is cut then you can help.
paidal_chalne_vala
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 14 Mar, 2020 5:43 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Track clearing on the AAWT from Phillack saddle to Stronach's camp will be taking place in April. Contact Bushwalking Victoria if you think you might be able to assist . The working bee participants will camp at Stronach's camp and walk into the area each day over 4 days. Whether you are carrying fuel and bar oil for chainsaw users, lopping back branches with manual tools or just raking up debris so that nobody slips on it after it is cut then you can help.

A couple of questions: is that Easter long weekend?
Don't you have to be a member of Bushwalking Vic. or an affiliate?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 16 Mar, 2020 1:19 pm

Is that the Easter long w/end?
I do not know. When is Easter this year? . The information is all laid out below this message.

I think you must be a member of a club that is registered with Bushwalking Victoria e.g. VNPA BWAG or a member of Friends of Baw Baw. I am a member of both. Joining Friends of Baw Baw is cheap and easy. Just look them up on the www. It costs 5 clams to join.

Tracks:
Australian Alps Walking Track – Stronachs Camp to PhilackSaddle
Area/Park:
Baw Baw National Park
Dates:
Thursday 2nd April to Sunday 5th April
Project Leader/Contact: (name and number)
Peter Maffei
Email: peter.maffei@bigpond.com
Phone: 0418 149 465
Where to meet:
Stronachs Camp on the Thompson Valley Road.
Approximately 47 kilometres from the Erica township, about an hours travelling time.
Google maps link to Stronachs Camp
Duration:
We are responding to volunteers who have asked for projects to be conducted on weekdays as well as weekends.
Establish camp on Thursday morning. Initial meeting and safety briefing will be at the campsite at 10:00 AM Thursday. The plan is for the project to cover a 4 day period with volunteers joining us on whatever days suit them. Every bit helps.
Pack up and head off home around midday Sunday.
Skills needed:
Feedback from walking groups that have recently walked this section of the AAWT advise that there are jobs for everyone from raking, general lopping and clearing of track debris, through to brush cutting, hedge trimmers and chainsawing. We also need people to carry packs and fuel for the volunteers operating power equipment.
Transport:
Own transport. Suitable for 2WD vehicles. The campsite is approximately 180 km from Melbourne with a travel time of 2 hours and 45 minutes (CBD Melbourne)
Accommodation:
We will be camping at Stronachs, just outside the National Park so we can have a campfire.
Vehicles will be left at the camp site and we will walk into the work area each day.
We’ll provide:
Parks Victoria and BTAC will provide all tools, equipment and PPE.
Parks Victoria will provide the evening meal on Saturday.
Please bring:
You will need to be self-sufficient for camping and all other meals. You will need a day pack for your lunch, water, snacks and rain coat. Remember we are in the alpine environment so bring clothing and camping equipment suitable for alpine conditions. Bring a chair as well.
Scope of work:
General lopping, raking, brush cutting and chainsawing.
Work start time:
Thursday 2 April at 10:00 AM, then 8:45 AM on the subsequent days
Finish time:
Sunday 5 April at mid-day

Regards

Peter Maffei
Friends of Baw Baw NP
Mob: 0418 149 465
Email: friendsofbawbawnp@gmail.com
Web: http://www.sbwc.org.au/fobb
paidal_chalne_vala
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 16 Mar, 2020 2:15 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Is that the Easter long w/end?
Thursday 2nd April to Sunday 5th April
Weekend before Easter.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 18 Mar, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi Everyone

Firstly thank you for indicating your intention to attend the track clearing event in April.
Unfortunately I have been advised by Parks Victoria that they are suspending all volunteer activities until further notice.
Sorry to be the bearer of this message.

Regards

Peter Maffei
Friends of Baw Baw NP
Web: www.sbwc.org.au/fobb
paidal_chalne_vala
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 9:25 pm

Water was flowing well at Mac. Springs and at the stream just on the North side of Stanley name Spur, at the saddle on SNS , 1 km below the Cross Cut Saw summit ridge. This was just a few days ago .Verily we now all MUST STAY AT HOME.
paidal_chalne_vala
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bigkev » Sun 17 May, 2020 6:57 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Hi Everyone

Firstly thank you for indicating your intention to attend the track clearing event in April.
Unfortunately I have been advised by Parks Victoria that they are suspending all volunteer activities until further notice.
Sorry to be the bearer of this message.

Regards

Peter Maffei
Friends of Baw Baw NP
Web: http://www.sbwc.org.au/fobb

I did a day walk from Stronachs up to the old Whitelaw Hut site yesterday. I can see why they had scheduled in a bit of track clearing as it doesn't look like it's been touched since I went through on my AAWT journey a few years ago. Expect sections of head high heath and fallen trees now until the volunteers can get in there.

There's some pictures here if anyone wants to get an idea https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... k-may.html

Cheers
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to AAWT