Review: Olight S1R Baton Flashlight

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Review: Olight S1R Baton Flashlight

Postby BushcrafterAU » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 5:46 pm

REVIEW: Olight S1R Baton Turbo S Flashlight
IMG_3740.JPG
Olight S1R Baton Turbo S
IMG_3740.JPG (23.62 KiB) Viewed 22570 times

DISCLAIMER: This light was provided for the review by Olight Australia.

SPECS

* 900 Lumen Max Output
* 15 Day Max Runtime
* 5,250 CD
* Waterproof IPX8
* Impact Resistant 1.5 Meters
* Max Throw 145 Meters
* Length- 66 mm / 2.6 in
* Bezel Diameter- 21mm / 0.83 in
* Weight- 54 g / 1.9 oz (including battery)
* Cree Xlamp XM-L2 LED
* Rechargeable 550 mAh customised RCR123A battery of 5C discharge rate
* Made in China
* Lowest Price- $84.99 https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-s ... ket-torch/

OUTPUT AND RUNTIMES

Mode Output (L) Runtime
Turbo S -900-(300) 1.5 m (50m)
Turbo -600-(300) 1.5 m (55m)
High -300- 60 m
Medium -60- 4.5 hours
Low -12- 33 hours
Moonlight -0.5- 15 days

Special Modes:
Strobe, 3 min timer, 9 minute timer

There are many different types of EDC (every day carry) lights, from tiny key ring lights with low output, to larger lights that have a higher output.
But what would you use an EDC light for? Well, there are may instances when I have wanted a flashlight, but didn’t have one. For instance, car trouble at night,
looking for something lost after dark, walking down a narrow alleyway… you get the idea. There are MANY reasons for carrying a small light, and the brighter it is, the better.
So today I will be reviewing a keyring-sized light with an output MUCH higher than your average flashlight.
Meet the Olight S1R Baton Turbo S.
With a high of 900 lumens, max throw of 145 meters, and 5,250 candela, this might just be the ultimate EDC light.
IMG_3787.JPG
The S1R

In this review I will explore what makes a good EDC light, and how the S1R fulfils each requirement.
But first, let’s get on to the unboxing stage.
fullsizeoutput_141d.jpeg
Front of the box

fullsizeoutput_141f.jpeg
Back of the box

The Olight S1R has been attractively packed in a white box which has a picture of the light on the front, and detailed information on the back. Upon opening the box I was greeted with a surprisingly helpful guide to unpacking the S1R. The light is cleverly held by the flashlight’s clip itself, so there is no need to cut anything when unpacking.
fullsizeoutput_1421.jpeg
This is what is included

I was thrilled by their attention to detail; the lanyard (which is in my opinion fantastic!) even comes threaded with a lanyard threader.
The box says to charge the light before turning it on, and I must say I was surprised at how fast it charged through the cable. The cable has a strong magnet in the end, which clips onto the tail of the light, charging through the contacts on the tail cap.
The charging cable can be packed in the included brown fabric bag, along with a solar power bank I added. This gives the flashlight the ability to charge anywhere, anytime.
IMG_3789.JPG
Charging the S1R

Requirement #1- Portability.
The first thing you’ll want in an EDC light is portability. What use would a large Maglite be to the average person as an EDC item? It’s too big, and not bright enough for the size.
The S1R fills this requirement perfectly. It is TINY!! To give you an idea as to just how small it is, here is a pic of it along side my LED Lenser P3 AFS and my BIC Lighter.
fullsizeoutput_1423.jpeg
BiC Lighter - Led Lenser P3 AFS - Olight S1R

Requirement #2- Power

Although the S1R is tiny, it is EXTREMELY bright! It boasts 900 lumens on Turbo S. Featuring an on-board computer, the S1R has been intelligently programmed to step down from turbo to high after 90 seconds, to prevent overheating.
After about 3 minutes, you will be able to bump it back up to turbo.
If you don’t want to use 900 lumens, there are many other modes you can choose from. If you hold the power button down while off it will take you to Moonlight Mode (0.5 L), and if you hold the power button down while on, it will circle through Low (15 L), Medium (60L), and High (300L). If you double click the home button, whether on or off, it will take you to Turbo (600L). If you double click it again while on Turbo it will boost you to Turbo S (900L). And in a tactical scenario if you triple click the power button you will be taken to Strobe (600L). Not only is it blindingly bright, it also has a very good throw, specifically 145 meters.

Requirement #3- Durability.

Even the best EDC flashlight wouldn’t be very useful if it stopped working. With many cheaper lights, a walk in the rain or a drop onto concrete from shoulder height could break it.
With the S1R however, you’d struggle to destroy it, even if you tried. For this test I will turn it on medium and drop it from 2 meters into a creek.
IMG_4154.JPG
Before the test...

IMG_4159.JPG
While under water

As you can see the S1R survived that test without even gaining a scratch! Another nice thing I noticed while it was under water was that the lanyard floats. That means if you drop it into a creek, it will be easy to retrieve it by sliding a stick through the lanyard.
That was a pretty tame test, but seriously, that’s about all that would be likely to happen to your light.
If you want to see a very harsh torture test however, I can direct you to this YouTube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlOotAnTb4

Various features of the S1R

FEATURE #1- Moonlight Mode.
Moonlight mode is the dimmest mode the S1R offers, but while it is only 0.5 lumens, it is more handy then you might expect. It works perfectly for walking around the house in the dark without disturbing sleeping people, and also doesn’t glare in your eyes. Due to it’s low power mode, Moonlight Mode can run for 15 days straight. That means that if you run Moonlight mode for 20 minutes each day, the battery will last 1,080 days without recharging!

FEATURE #2- Lockout Mode.
Have you ever reached for your EDC flashlight, only to find it has switched on in your pocket and drained the battery?
Lockout mode aims to prevent that. By holding the power button down while off, you will enter Moonlight Mode. If you keep holding it down, it will enter Lockout Mode. While on Lockout Mode, if you press the power button a red LED will glow in the button. To actually turn the light on you will have to hold it down for about 3 seconds.

FEATURE #3- Tail Standing.
The S1R has a flat tail cap, meaning it can tail stand. This means you are able to sit it down on a flat surface pointed at the ceiling, illuminating the entire room.

FEATURE #4- Pocket Clip.
Many flashlights have a pocket clip, and I think it is very important for an EDC flashlight to include one. The S1R has a particularly sturdy pocket clip, cleverly positioned so that the light faces upwards. Because of that, you can clip it to a hat, essentially turning it into a headlamp.

FEATURE #4- Anti-Roll Collar.
An anti-roll collar is built so that when you put you flashlight on it’s side on a sloping surface, it will not roll away. Although in some lights the pocket clip stops it from rolling, the S1R has a purpose-built anti-roll collar.

FEATURE #5- Magnetic Tailcap.
This feature is proof of Olight’s attention to detail. A magnetic tailcap is very helpful. In fact, my S1R lives stuck to a metal beam next to my bed! (That is except for when it is in my pocket!)
IMG_3788.JPG
Magnetic tail cap with contacts

Pros: Light weight, small, blindingly bright, very good looking, robust.

Cons: I couldn’t find any! I must say that a titanium version would be very nice though.

THE VERDICT.....
This flashlight is AMAZING! Not only is it bright, it is also extremely small, looks good, and has a high tech onboard computer. All in all, extremely good value.

5 OUT OF 5 STARS
BushcrafterAU
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Review: Olight S1R Baton Flashlight

Postby PedalRoll » Tue 24 Jul, 2018 6:44 pm

What is a model with comparable output but with much longer run time?
PedalRoll
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby BushcrafterAU » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:23 am

Olight has a very large range of flashlights.
Depending on what you want, there is the:
M2R Warrior (1,500 lumens)
H2R Nova (2,200 lumens)
S20R Baton III (1,050 lumens)
S2R Baton (1,020 lumens)

Hope that helps!
There are other brands out there, but I am yet to find one which puts so much power in such a small package.
BushcrafterAU
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 1:15 pm

Why and how on the customised battery?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby BushcrafterAU » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 7:59 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Why and how on the customised battery?

So basically, the Olight S1R has a custom 550mAh battery (3.7 volt) of 5c discharge rate.
The reason it needs the custom battery to boost it to turbo s is on turbo s it is drawing 1.8 amp from this TINY battery.
BushcrafterAU
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bobcrusader » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 9:32 am

I own 2 of these. Lost one, replaced it and then found the original, but don't regret having 2 now! I also bought the $5 diffusers in white and red (again, twice!). The white one is great for using with candle mode in a tent. The red one is handy for emergencies and would get attention with the strobe on stuck to the back of your car with the magnetic tail. I went on to buy their H1R headlamp and R50 Pro at their last sale. All great products.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Return to Gear Reviews