[Tent | Review] [Naturehike Mongar 2 $199]

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

[Tent | Review] [Naturehike Mongar 2 $199]

Postby pattycake » Mon 07 May, 2018 5:40 pm

I haven't seen many reviews for Naturhike tents on here, and thought it might be useful to add my experience!

I've only got into bushwalking a year or so ago, and don't have the desire/funds to blow heaps of cash on a tent. A friend and I decided to go halves on a 2 person Naturehike Mongar 2. This is a copy of the MSR Hubba Hubba, made by a Chinese manufacturer. I specifically wanted a freestanding tent because I knew that we were likely to be camping on platforms, and I wanted something with a door on each side so we wouldn't be clambering over one another.
Here's how the "Purple Palace" has gone for me so far... :D

Purchasing
I bought this from Novaprospots for $199 with free shipping. You could probably get this a bit cheaper from one of the many sellers on AliExpress, but I wanted the option to return the tent for a refund if I didn't like it. Shipping was very quick, and the tent arrived to me in Melbourne in 3 business days. I bought the version with the footprint, which is now listed for $229, so maybe they have put their prices up a bit. (https://novaprosports.com.au/collections/camping-gears-equipment-essentials/products/mongar-1-6kg-2-man-ultralight-hiking-tent-purple?variant=2829681819669)

First look
The tent was easy to put up, and all of the poles and fittings seemed sturdy. If anything, the clips that hold the fly to the mesh inner seem sturdier than the MSR Hubba Hubba (which I have slept in before). All of the seams appeared well sealed and the stitching looked sound. The pegs are pretty flimsy, but lightweight. We'll use them until they bend and replace them with something sturdier. I liked the unique purple colour!

Apparently this tent can be used with just the fly and footprint, although I haven't tried this yet.

First trip
I took this out on the Grampians Peaks Trail, and while it's not exactly ultralight at 1.6kg, it's very easy to carry divided between two people.

Both nights were quite dewy, but we didn't notice any condensation inside the tent. I've since taken it out on some fairly rainy trips and the waterproofing has held up well.

Inside is quite roomy, especially lengthwise. I am 165cm tall and had stacks of room at my feet to stash stuff although if you are very tall (over say 183 cm) you may struggle. The dual vestibules are surprisingly roomy too, and left us with ample space to leave our backpacks.

The reflective material on the outside of the tent is thoughtfully placed and made it easy to find the damn thing coming back from the loo in the middle of a foggy night!

Conclusion
After 6 nights in this tent, I feel comfortable recommending it to other beginners or people on a budget. Split between 2, the cost-per-use is ~$16. We're taking it out again next weekend for a night on the Mornington Peninsula, so it'll come down even more. I'll come back here periodically to update you all on how it goes.

received_10160075002915134.jpeg
The purple palace!
pattycake
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: [Tent | Review] [Naturehike Mongar 2 $199]

Postby rumblepants » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 11:14 am

Hi There,

I'm considering purchasing one of these tents and was wondering how its been holding up over the year? Have you taken it out again?

Cheers
Rumble
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby pattycake » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 12:40 pm

rumblepants wrote:Hi There,

I'm considering purchasing one of these tents and was wondering how its been holding up over the year? Have you taken it out again?

Cheers
Rumble

Hey Rumble, I've taken it out maybe 4 more times, and it's still going strong! The floor and footprint both look good, and I've had no issues with waterproofing.

My one criticism is that the side vents really don't make any difference on a stuffy night.

Also, as predicted, the pegs have become completely trashed, and it's high time I bought some replacements. Apart from that, thumbs up from me.
pattycake
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Rilla » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi

Just been searching cheap freestanding tents and saw your review. You mention pegs in it. Does this mean that its only semi-freestanding and it requires pegs for the fly? Or can it be used totally without pegs?
Rilla
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 5:49 pm

Rilla wrote:Hi

Just been searching cheap freestanding tents and saw your review. You mention pegs in it. Does this mean that its only semi-freestanding and it requires pegs for the fly? Or can it be used totally without pegs?

Rilla no tent can be used without being pegged down really, forget to peg a tent down and it's called a kite :mrgreen:
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pattycake » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 7:32 am

@rilla

Nope, it's completely freestanding and worked a treat on a platform with the corners weighted down.

Apparently you can use it as a quasi-tarp with just the fly and footprint but I haven't done this yet.

I should mention that the pegs are looking pretty bashed up but still going strong. Haven't replaced them yet.
pattycake
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby CBee » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 9:09 am

I have a couple of NH tents, the silicon ones. 1.2Kg for 1pp+gear and 1.8Kg for 2pp+gear. Used them in cold/rainy/muddy SW Tas to QLD summer thunderstorm. I haven't come across an extremely windy night but I usually camp in sheltered spots. Overall ok for the price but I find the ground material probably too weak even with a decent ground sheet. I'm not expecting to see them live for too long but so far they kept me dry.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Return to Gear Reviews