Triplex for the Western Arthurs

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Triplex for the Western Arthurs

Postby Drew » Wed 11 Dec, 2019 3:02 pm

I've posted in the Tassie section about broader gear choices for an upcoming Western Arthurs trip, but thought I'd try here in the hope of input from experienced Triplex users.

Looks like two of us will be going on the walk. We'd prefer separate tents. Between us we own a Triplex (around 750gm, a Tarptent Stratospire 2 (around 1400gm) , an X-Mid 1P (around 900gm). (Oh, and a Mont Moondance but that's small and heavy!). I feel that the Triplex is the least stormworthy of these tents, and therefore wonder if it should be left out.

Lightest weight option would be sharing the Triplex, but then we have to share, and doubts about stormworthiness. Second lightest would be the Triplex and the X-mid. 1 person gets a palace, the other not, but option to share if no space on platforms. Still doubts about the Triplex but at least there's another tent (yes, it would be a squeeze but could serve in an emergency). Other option is to share the Stratospire, which has plenty of space for 2 and I think is up to the weather, albeit at a weight penalty.

I gather that most campsites are reasonably sheltered but High Moor is exposed and subject to high winds.

Interested in any thoughts on this from those who know the tents and/or the conditions.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Triplex for the Western Arthurs

Postby CBee » Wed 11 Dec, 2019 4:42 pm

I don't own a Triplex but if I did, I would definitely take that with me anywhere, unless in alpine snowy areas. I met a couple at Frenchman's Cap in a Triplex and they were very happy. IMO the tent looks low pitch enough for big winds, with plenty of guylines. But then, I don't want to be arrogant and judge something I haven't used. I also have a x-mid, no issue with rain and wind, only problem, if you accidentally snap a hiking pole, you may be in trouble on the Warthurs. I believe they sell titanium rigid poles somewhere on the net, to be used as spare for emergency.
But if you are only looking for ideas, then mine is to take the Triplex with no hesitation.
CBee

Region: Queensland

Postby Drew » Wed 11 Dec, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks CBee. The Triplex belongs to my friend and she hasn't had it long. Another friend has one and has used it a bit but not really in high winds. He's mentioned that he might not be confident about using it in really bad conditions (although he did stay dry on an stupidly wet night in Norway).

The hiking pole problem applies to all 3 tents. I've walked a lot of kms with poles and haven't snapped one yet. We would have 4 poles anyway, so if one broke we could still pitch one tent and share.
Drew

Postby CBee » Wed 11 Dec, 2019 7:46 pm

Worst case scenario you'll be mostly awake from noise and shaking. But I can't see problems if your tent is nestled on platform surrounded by shrubs even with strong winds. Unless we're talking about 100Km/h plus. My 2c.
CBee

Region: Queensland

Postby Zapruda » Thu 12 Dec, 2019 6:09 am

I've been using trekking pole/non free standing shelters for many years. The weak link is always how it is staked. If the shelter is pegged properly with something like MSR Groundhogs with some rocks on top then it can cop an absolute thrashing. My old Duplex handled 70km winds just fine.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Thu 12 Dec, 2019 6:16 am

CBee wrote:Worst case scenario you'll be mostly awake from noise and shaking. But I can't see problems if your tent is nestled on platform surrounded by shrubs even with strong winds. Unless we're talking about 100Km/h plus.

In the WArthurs, especially at High Moor where the only shelter is a low ridge behind the platforms, you could well be. The other sties are OK.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Thu 12 Dec, 2019 12:14 pm

Drew wrote:Thanks CBee. The Triplex belongs to my friend and she hasn't had it long. Another friend has one and has used it a bit but not really in high winds. He's mentioned that he might not be confident about using it in really bad conditions (although he did stay dry on an stupidly wet night in Norway).

The hiking pole problem applies to all 3 tents. I've walked a lot of kms with poles and haven't snapped one yet. We would have 4 poles anyway, so if one broke we could still pitch one tent and share.

Only have the Duplex but as others have contributed on stick shelters, should you go the Triplex-
-as stated by others good pegs (full length Groundhogs perhaps) plus a good taut pitch, Don't try and learn to pitch it on the walk-practise at home.
- plus pitch at about 110cm -limpet mode. I reckon this will help hugely should you go the DCF. You will still get a bathtub, small, but a bathtub nonetheless.
If winds expected, or just do it anyway.
40km (50 odd km gusts) should be no real issue even when sticks set up at about 117cms.
Good tramping.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Drew » Fri 13 Dec, 2019 9:04 am

Thanks all. Sounds like the Triplex is a goer. I'll suggest my friend do some pitching practice before the trip and make sure she's got good pegs (although camping on platforms the weak point is likely to be cup hooks if we use them).

I'm yet to use the X-mid so I'll be doing some practice pitches too!
Drew

Postby tamara988 » Tue 24 Dec, 2019 5:47 pm

Just did the Western Arthurs with a Duplex with 2 of us in it, it will work fine so long as you have your pitching down - there are plenty of rocks to use on platforms too, we had 4 ground hog pegs and 4 shorter lighter pegs.
I'd suggest bringing earplugs -for the noise of the tent with rain and wind, and a small absorbent towel - condensation was a real issue, even with 1-2 doors open.
Enjoy! Beautiful walk
tamara988
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnrs » Fri 27 Dec, 2019 9:05 am

Hi Drew
Here is a link to the Scotts Peak BOM obs for February 2019
Gusts up to 117k/hr but mostly not...…….
Scotts Peak is less exposed than the Arthurs
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20190 ... 1902.shtml
John
johnrs

Region: New South Wales

Postby Drew » Mon 30 Dec, 2019 10:00 am

Just did the Western Arthurs with a Duplex with 2 of us in it, it will work fine so long as you have your pitching down - there are plenty of rocks to use on platforms too, we had 4 ground hog pegs and 4 shorter lighter pegs.
I'd suggest bringing earplugs -for the noise of the tent with rain and wind, and a small absorbent towel - condensation was a real issue, even with 1-2 doors open.
Enjoy! Beautiful walk

Thanks Tamara! Well done squeezing into the Duplex! I know it's meant to be a 2 person tent but it seems like everyone uses the Triplex for 2. That's a featherlight shelter shared between 2. Good tip for the earplugs and towel, thanks for that.

Did you use the pegs at all at platforms (like for guys off the edge of the platforms), or only when not on platforms?

Hi Drew
Here is a link to the Scotts Peak BOM obs for February 2019
Gusts up to 117k/hr but mostly not...…….
Scotts Peak is less exposed than the Arthurs
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20190 ... 1902.shtml
John

Thanks John. I've looked at a few months of data for Scotts Peak Dam and it seems like most months have some of those 100km/ph+ winds. Fun. Interesting to see that there's been 210mm for December so far while it's been so dry elsewhere. We may get the full Arthurs experiences despite the drought (not sure how I feel about that!).
Drew

Postby Drew » Tue 14 Jan, 2020 10:53 am

We ended up taking the Triplex and the X-mid as planned. We had to share on the first night when a group of 4 arrived late at our campsite at the bottom of Moraine A, but otherwise were glad to have our separate shelters (although it was a bit of a squeeze fitting them both onto one platform at Haven Lake). We had strong winds for our night at Oberon Lake but were very sheltered on the platform. One group missed out on platforms and had to camp by the lake. Luckily they had 4 season tents - it wouldn't have been an enjoyable night for us in that spot!

We also had strong gusts at High Moor throughout the afternoon and evening but the tents stood up well. Thankfully the wind died down overnight.

Pitching on platforms was a breeze. High Moor and Haven Lake have heaps of nails between boards which makes it very easy. Oberon had fewer but it was still okay. A few cup hooks came in handy.
Drew

Return to Ultralight backpacking