Anyone fondling at the Katman?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Anyone fondling at the Katman?

Postby Lamont » Mon 09 Dec, 2019 1:46 pm

Anyone fondled or bought the new GTX Shakedry at the Katman?
I think (?) Zapruda you mightn't have a fondness for the Katman -not trying to be a smartA (ethically they at least are equal or surpass the Patagons) but I would be interested to know what you think of the material they have used in this next iteration-you are the only person I know of who can compare.
Feels like a nice Chamois leather and drapes just like that. Similar to the Hyperair?
Anyone let the moths roam free and bought one?
Wonder about the breathabilty compared to say the TNF Hyper? I know how you rate the Hyper Zapruda.
This jacket is a wee bit heavier but I think that is just the extra bits and bobs not the fabric.
They don't even say which variant of shakedry GTX it is, it's NOT even on all the labelling inside the jacket(and the shop assistants have not a clue what they are selling -we had a great old chin-wag and they were interested when I told them what it was :lol: or was supposed to be at least) but it is hellishly soft. Mentions on the site -backpack useable. I offered to trial one for a discounted price as they told me they have not sold a solitary sausage even on sale.
At least they know how to be polite and said sorry, NO jacket for you.
$299- just a few years back this sort of price would be unheard.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Anyone fondling at the Katman?

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 09 Dec, 2019 6:05 pm

Is the North Face shakedry on the shelf anywhere in Geelong, Lamont?
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Zapruda » Mon 09 Dec, 2019 6:11 pm

Not a fan of Kathmandu at all. I haven’t stepped foot in one of their shops for a long time.

I do rate the Northface Hyperair very highly though. Incredibly light, breathable and waterproof. No features whatsoever though.

It has taken second place to my Montbell Versalite this year though. Pockets and an adjustable hood are necessary additions on a rain jacket as far as I’m concerned.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Mon 09 Dec, 2019 6:40 pm

CraigVIC wrote:Is the North Face shakedry on the shelf anywhere in Geelong, Lamont?

Not that I know -the last I saw was about year ago but online at PPs.
The one at Katmans might be worth a look for you?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 09 Dec, 2019 6:45 pm

I'll check it out, tks for the tip.
CraigVIC

Postby Lamont » Mon 09 Dec, 2019 6:46 pm

Zapruda wrote:Not a fan of Kathmandu at all. I haven’t stepped foot in one of their shops for a long time.

I do rate the Northface Hyperair very highly though. Incredibly light, breathable and waterproof. No features whatsoever though.

It has taken second place to my Montbell Versalite this year though. Pockets and an adjustable hood are necessary additions on a rain jacket as far as I’m concerned.

Yep, you need a hood that can at least pull tight. The Versalite seems to have a good reputation-MB make good stuff don't they.
My brolly -the UL Trekker model-from there only snapped due to my oafishness.
I have $70 credit (which they gave me-even tho' I stuffed up!) there still working out what to spend it on.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Mon 09 Dec, 2019 7:09 pm

CraigVIC wrote:I'll check it out, tks for the tip.

PLUS -just up the hill about 6-7 shops past the 7Eleven -the first Vietnamese Hot Bread shop on the left--Banh Mi-get the crispy skin pork with all the Vietnamese salad and homemade Hoi Sin sauce!.
Had two today.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 09 Dec, 2019 7:53 pm

:-) :-)
CraigVIC

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 11 Dec, 2019 5:18 pm

Did the staff have any insight on what sort of pack weight you could carry with the zeolite jacket Lamont?
CraigVIC

Postby Lamont » Wed 11 Dec, 2019 6:13 pm

CraigVIC wrote:Did the staff have any insight on what sort of pack weight you could carry with the zeolite jacket Lamont?

Craig I was going off this-
"Harness the performance of GORE-TEX when you’re on the trail with our Zeolite Men’s ShakeDry Jacket. This includes water and windproof qualities, plus breathability and super quick drying – you can literally shake your jacket dry. It’s abrasion resistant when wearing your run vest or pack."
Does this mean you will have a warranty-don't know for sure?
Seems to be sold like the Caldorado and the Hyperair (which Zapruda has used I believe with a UL baseweight) and the Norvan as running jackets. But all have been used with an UL load by UL walkers. It's why I was interested to be compared a bit with the Zeolite.
I think if you are going to load any of these with a baseweight of more than about 4 kgs and total of 8-9 (?) walking weight you might be best looking elsewhere.
The only jacket I have seen in recent times which are/have some backpack compatability were the Columbia Outdry Ex Featherweight-sold as backpack capable (Vale) and the new Montbell Peak Shell.
However, the Peak Shell states (Zapruda if you see this-correct me if I'm wrong) in their blurb words to the effect -if you are going to try and use this every day for weeks/months on end-you might be best to look elsewhere. Seems to be suggesting more infrequent/but will work very well when you need it type thing but that it's lifespan under a backpack may be restricted/limited?
Jackets like these-as long as the conditions suit-watch the bush and scrub-work as wind shirts as well. Gets cold chuck it on.
My COEF is excellent in rain or wind but I have a three layer GTX Marmot Nano AS for tougher times.
And as I alluded to earlier the staff are well meaning but gormless.
I would also think if you are using a waist belt on your rucksack there would be less sliding on the back fabric and the weight would be eased somewhat from the shoulder fabric.
If Zapruda has some hours on his MB (Z ?) -and the DWR is holding up, that seems also to be a valid option-but not permanently WP as such.
I would avoid all the other Katman rain jacket options myself.
What sort of weight were you thinking?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 11 Dec, 2019 7:18 pm

Just traditional weight, not UL at all. My situation is I have a full set of gear that all works, but it is all entry level. So over the long-term I want to upgrade everything to better and lighter one thing at a time. Not sure where to start but a good jacket is on the list obviously.
CraigVIC

Postby Lamont » Wed 11 Dec, 2019 8:39 pm

How about the Montbell Storm Cruiser? Excellent reviews. Bit more robust than the ones I mentioned, fully featured but still an excellent weight.
https://montbelloutdoor.com.au/products ... acket-mens
save your pennies for the Christmas sales.
Cheers
G
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Thu 12 Dec, 2019 5:32 am

Thumbs up from me on the stormcruser jacket. Very happy with mine so far. Reasonably lightweight and will cope with pack wear mk problem.
Petew

Region: New South Wales

Postby coimon » Wed 18 Dec, 2019 8:31 pm

Lamont wrote:... Columbia Outdry Ex Featherweight-sold as backpack capable (Vale) ...

Lamont, does your 'vale' mean the COEF has been discontinued? Availability is hit and miss at the moment, almost looks like they're running out existing stock. :roll:
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Neo » Wed 18 Dec, 2019 9:39 pm

I have a Mont austral for when I expect rain, stormy conditions or tough use.
Then an OR helium 2 when there may be a shower or none.
Also Patagonia rain pants and the smaller Helinox umbrella.
Choose any combo to suit the forecast.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 4:53 am

coimon wrote:
Lamont wrote:... Columbia Outdry Ex Featherweight-sold as backpack capable (Vale) ...

Lamont, does your 'vale' mean the COEF has been discontinued? Availability is hit and miss at the moment, almost looks like they're running out existing stock. :roll:

Yep, that and the Caldorado -(same tech but lighter again) apparently. Mine has never wet out.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby coimon » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 7:22 am

Well that's disappointing and frustrating. I thought I'd finally decided on a robust, well featured and designed shell that could deal with being under a pack and would actually perform its primary function reliably. Back to the drawing board...
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lamont » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 8:03 am

coimon wrote:Well that's disappointing and frustrating. I thought I'd finally decided on a robust, well featured and designed shell that could deal with being under a pack and would actually perform its primary function reliably. Back to the drawing board...

Ozzie Cam Honan on thehikinglife.com recommends some Montbell ones. Even though he gets his stuff free I think his recommendations make sense. He refers to two rain jackets- one for trackish and one more robust. They are on his gearlist for the Alta Via something or other. One is not available here tho'. Worth a look if you haven't already.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby coimon » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 8:15 am

Yeah I was thinking Montbell Storm Cruiser or Versalite at one point. Had a look at his Alta Via stuff recently but didn't notice his rain jacket - will take another look, thanks.

Any idea if Outdry Ex materials / construction will make a return?
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lamont » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 8:33 am

He rates one better than Versalite(sorry I'm on phone). Montbell told me they can order from Japan. Might be a goer? All the ones I have seen have been sold as running jackets. But used with success. Are you in bush? Might need something tougher (MB?)anyway?
Maybe Columbia will, don't know sorry.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby coimon » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 8:54 am

Cam rates them as: Torrent Flier > Versalite on track, and Storm Cruiser for off track.

I'd love to avoid DWR if possible but could be challenging to balance that with features, price, availability etc. Sigh!

Thanks for your input Lamont.
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lamont » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 9:53 am

That's them.
No worries.
PS the two brothers in the AAWT (Mark Oates and ...) winter traverse are wearing some Columbia jackets-maybe make contact?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby coimon » Fri 24 Jan, 2020 8:28 pm

After this thread, which coincided with my research, I found a COEF in my size in the US and ordered it. Too good to be true? Yes. Three weeks later the order was cancelled and refunded... Might just get a Montbell Storm Cruiser and live with a nice jacket that requires DWR :roll: :lol:
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Petew » Sat 25 Jan, 2020 5:50 am

I bought a storm cruiser last year. Very happy with it and it has coped well with a pack and off track stuff. Highly recommended
Petew

Postby Lamont » Sat 25 Jan, 2020 8:08 am

coimon wrote:After this thread, which coincided with my research, I found a COEF in my size in the US and ordered it. Too good to be true? Yes. Three weeks later the order was cancelled and refunded... Might just get a Montbell Storm Cruiser and live with a nice jacket that requires DWR :roll: :lol:

Myself, I would get in touch with MB first and see if they can order the Torrent from Japan and/or check with Zapruda again on the Versalite first.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby EGM » Sat 13 Nov, 2021 11:26 pm

Anyone actually used the Kathmandu jacket yet?

Or even it's way cheaper active counterpart?

They're crazy money atm but safe to assume be on sale soon.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 16 Nov, 2021 7:48 pm

On sale now. I just bought one for $299 down from $449.

From the weight, I would guess it's the same fabric used in the Gorewear H5, and R7 Trail. 30% thicker and meant to be okay with a 'light pack'. No idea what constitutes 'light'.
I started a thread on DWR over here which lead me down this path. Some more info I have found on various Shakedry in there.

https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38789
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Wed 17 Nov, 2021 9:40 am

if I didn't already have a Columbia outdry jacket I'd get one.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Wed 17 Nov, 2021 10:26 am

slparker wrote:if I didn't already have a Columbia outdry jacket I'd get one.
How is it?? I tried to find one, very little around and have to come from overseas. I emailed Columbia and they pretty much said 'we don't stock them in Australia' with no other reason given. I'd have been happy with either but trying something on is a big plus.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Wed 17 Nov, 2021 9:34 pm

Dexter wrote:
slparker wrote:if I didn't already have a Columbia outdry jacket I'd get one.
How is it?? I tried to find one, very little around and have to come from overseas. I emailed Columbia and they pretty much said 'we don't stock them in Australia' with no other reason given. I'd have been happy with either but trying something on is a big plus.

It's really quite a good jacket - I have the outdry featherweight. It doesn't wet out and is really light and comfortable to wear. It isn't magic - if you work hard you'll sweat in it but it's pretty good with a polartec alpha under it. Sized well, good ventilation (very cool forward facing vents which work really well), light and even quite good against the skin.
My only objection is the hood: it's quite rudimentary, like a lot of US designed jackets, but a small price to pay for an otherwise really good jacket.

I am pretty sure that columbia still makes Outdry but has gone to a heavier version - maybe some QC issues with the lighter weight textile from what I understand. I don't think columbia is heavily invested in research for hiking jackets - they are more of a lifestyle brand really. The outdry doesn't look particularly good with a pair of jeans, unless crinkly dimpled plastic is your idea of fashion, and I think Columbia is more into marketing softshells for urban wear.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking