Overnight pack for running/fastpack

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Overnight pack for running/fastpack

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 07 Sep, 2019 10:04 pm

Yes, I know that lots of people think the concept of fastpacking is just a gimmick, but I am really enjoying trail running and I also (obviously :lol: ) really enjoy bushwalking so see no harm in combining the two activities when I fancy it. I have trawled the available threads on the forum, but gear is constantly evolving, so thought it was worth starting a new thread.

I love running in my Salomon 8lt capacity and Aoinijie 5lt (Ali express bargain) hydration vests and have observed that a few brands have a larger capacity offering in a vest style. I wish all backpacks were like that, love having so much of my gear and snacks on my front, I feel like I am wearing Inspector Gadget's trenchcoat- so many pockets! I suppose Aarn's come the closest in concept, but I found when I tried their packs that the pockets on front were too big and distracting for my liking.

Anyhow, does anyone own anything in a 20-30lt capacity in a vest-inspired style that they can comfortably run in? I would imagine multidays trips would be a walk/run/walk affair as I felt like it, not all sweat and huffing and puffing. Keen to hear of others experiences and opinions re"what does and doesn't work for fastpacking.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Overnight pack for running/fastpack

Postby Zapruda » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 5:57 am

Two that come to mind are

Yama Sassafras - https://yamamountaingear.com/products/s ... s-fastpack

Palante Joey - https://palantepacks.com/product/joey/

I haven’t used either but they both get solid reviews.

I used an Ultimate Direction fastpack 25 for a while and I didn’t gel with it. Well designed though.

Maybe Dan at Wilderness Threadworks can put something together for you.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 9:03 am

Also a non owner but watcher of the Sassafras Zapruda. What a price tho'! Any time this question pops up it gets a mention. Very snuggly as does look the Joey! Got a sewing machine Muddy? Have a crack. You might not even need padded shoulder straps given the low weight you would be carrying, so that saves one difficult element.
You would only need 25L I reckon max.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 10:55 am

Lamont, what would I do without you? Great recommendations and brands/styles that were not on my radar. I can always count on you to bring the goods when talking gear.
I had only seen the Salomon and UD offerings and neither had really tickled my fancy - actually the Salomon women's 'out night' may have come closest, but the stupid pastel 'women's' colour shaded my assessment of the pack- see what I did there? :wink:
I agree with capacity, any more than 25lt would allow it to take on board more than strictly necessary and limit the purpose of the trip.

I watched the clip of the Pa'lante pack. It looked like he was running a SOL escape bivvy as his only shelter...of which I already have one. I am not as tough as he is though, so would imagine a pocket tarp would be in order.

Running for a few days won't be something I do instead of bushwalking, more of a 'as well as' activity. I have just gone onto longer (night :shock: ) shifts at work so in doing so have given myself more days off each week. So many activities!

I am having a quiet day at home today, so am glad the thread has already given me some points of research. Two thumbs up for the research leads!
Attachments
67642473_121046919207418_4667148258265530368_n.jpg
67642473_121046919207418_4667148258265530368_n.jpg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 22773 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 11:25 am

Zapruda is the ideas man Muddy.
I am but Jerry Lewis to his Dean Martin.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 1:27 pm

Ha! I was so excited I didn't realise it was Zapruda!
I shall not retract my glowing compliments to you Lamont, but will instead also direct them toward Zapruda too. Zapruda- awesome work, love your style! My wallet will not appreciate the spending that will no doubt ensure, however I still consider a pack for running a sound investment and cheaper than a gym membership.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 4:52 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote: however I still consider a pack for running a sound investment and cheaper than a gym membership.

Well once you put it that way..it makes perfect sense. :D
I wonder what Dan could do?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 6:40 am

Lamont wrote:Zapruda is the ideas man Muddy.
I am but Jerry Lewis to his Dean Martin.

Haha. Too funny.

Ms_Mudd wrote:Ha! I was so excited I didn't realise it was Zapruda!

I dont mind at all. I love the enthusiasm! Let us know how you go with the search.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Rosscodj » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 9:47 am

I use an OMM Phantom 25CL, (which I just noticed there's a new version of, whilst grabbing the link!)

https://theomm.com/product/phantom-25/

I love mine for both hiking and a bit of running, though I use a UD adventure 4 for most of my non-overnight running adventures.

(ps. it fits the X-mid horizontally...)

EDIT: The old video for the phantom 25cl does a better job of showing the pack. looks like the only differences with the new one is the vest, basically the drink pockets and sternum straps.

25CL video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdfbOHSBiA
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Scooters » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 5:13 pm

Just been through all of this! Just competed in the Kokoda ultra, 3 day race. Had to carry everything except tent. went through plenty of research. I ended up with the Salomon Out Peak 20. Loved it..... except just didn't hold up. The mesh pockets were just too fragile, ended up exchanging it. Other than that the fit, configuration, pockets, dual main zip were great. Just those damn mesh bottle pockets.

I now have an Ultiomate Direction from recommendation from fellow competitor. Yes there is a weight penalty but the hardiness feels a lot better, yet to take it out for a proper run. I have also hear really good things about the Raidlight gear, but fairly expensive with exchange rates. Here is a good comparision article I found which may help: https://www.runultra.co.uk/Reviews/Runn ... Group-Test

Good luck!
Scooters
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 10 Sep, 2019 2:44 am

Superb. Loving even more research and options to ponder.

Rosscodj-interesting to know the Xmid will fit. I just bought some pole jacks from Zpacks so could then take my carbon fixed length poles. Was looking at my SOL bivvy and it really is comporable in at least size to my Xmid, so adding a tarp and some guys to cover me in the bivvy would really mean the Xmid is a viable option instead.

Nice work on Kokoda Scooters, very impressive effort
What capacity UD are you running?
Mesh is such a pain ,you are so right. Great for cramming stuff in, but oh so easy to snag and tear.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Scooters » Tue 10 Sep, 2019 6:57 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Superb. Loving even more research and options to ponder.

Rosscodj-interesting to know the Xmid will fit. I just bought some pole jacks from Zpacks so could then take my carbon fixed length poles. Was looking at my SOL bivvy and it really is comporable in at least size to my Xmid, so adding a tarp and some guys to cover me in the bivvy would really mean the Xmid is a viable option instead.

Nice work on Kokoda Scooters, very impressive effort
What capacity UD are you running?
Mesh is such a pain ,you are so right. Great for cramming stuff in, but oh so easy to snag and tear.
I picked up the 35 Fastpack. Have another race in a few months time and aiming to do a few adventures. The 35 gives me a little more space for my tent and stove when needed. The nice thing about the 35 is you can really lock it down when you are not using all the space and is only about a 200g weight penalty.

Have a write up on the Kokoda race if interested: https://www.trailtreat.com/

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Scooters
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 30 Sep, 2019 10:32 am

I ended up purchasing a pack- UD fastpack 25. I really liked the smaller manufacturer offerings, but was worried that if I ordered and it didnt work out, then I couldnt exchange or get a refund.
The torso a smidge long, can feel the padding of the frame sitting a bit lower than totally optimal, but have to tape my back in that spot on longer runs as a rule anyway due to my 10lt hydration vest when fully laden sits in the same spot and can cause chafe.
Happy with the capacity of the UD and figure I could also wear it comfortably when riding my bike on longer trips too.
Thank you so much for the suggestions and pack use experience feedback, very helpful!
Attachments
20190930_102105.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rosscodj » Mon 30 Sep, 2019 10:40 am

Nice work! How easy is it to access those side pockets while it's on?
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Scooters » Mon 30 Sep, 2019 10:48 am

Nice one, won't regret. Just spent a good 8 hours hiking fully loaded in the Blue Mountains with my UD 35l. No issues, really comfortable, dare say more than the Salomon. The side pockets and huge back mesh one are magic. Definately more robust.

Only other thing, ditched the waist band and that rubber back insert. Made it more comfy.
Scooters
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 30 Sep, 2019 11:23 am

Rosscodj wrote:Nice work! How easy is it to access those side pockets while it's on?
Funny you should ask, I was just wearing it around the house and trying to stash my distance-z poles in the side pockets. That wasn't so easy..as in I couldn't do it at all... but tried a 1.2lt water bottle and that was much easier. Thinking about adding some attachments so I can use my salomon quiver with the pack too, I bought pole jacks from Zpacks to use on my poles with the X-Mid which could live in there too.

Scooters wrote:Only other thing, ditched the waist band and that rubber back insert. Made it more comfy.
That is very useful info as the insert was what I could feel on my lower back and I would predict cause the chafe.
Has the mesh held up okay? It feels pretty decently robust as far as mesh goes. As strong or more so than my Osprey packs mesh and that has held up well on my packs over the years.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Mon 30 Sep, 2019 11:28 am

Yee haa. Tramp on.
Run like you stole something Muddy.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 30 Sep, 2019 11:40 am

Thanks Lamont! So excited. So many adventures to have.

Love how easy it is to load my 500ml soft flask and like the height the spout sits at- a turn of my head and I can drink, no hands required.

Scooters, just took out the padding as you suggested. Phew! What a difference. Have it loaded up and running about the house and it does not move and have lost the slight awareness of it on my lower back that was there before. Jackpot.

Clearly I have the day off work and am playing with gear, catching up on household jobs much more fun with a fastpack on ;-)
Attachments
20190930_113055.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Scooters » Mon 30 Sep, 2019 12:20 pm

Much better without that rubber thing in. Had a couple of scrapes, mesh all fine. Pretty sure it will hold up fine.

In terms of poles, I use a Naked running band. Poles sit really well on your waist and gives you some extra food pockets up front. Also super easy access without having to muck around with your pack.

http://www.thelongrun.com.au/naked-running-band/
Scooters
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Ultralight backpacking