MLD Duomid in Silnylon - intial thoughts

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

MLD Duomid in Silnylon - intial thoughts

Postby AlistairB » Thu 22 Aug, 2019 7:58 pm

My MLD Duomid in Gray Silnylon arrived today. I gave it a quick setup to check the build quality and was very very impressed.

It seems Ron and the team are constantly inovating and incorporating feedback. Mine came with a 2.92 DCF vent at the top in a nice matching blue / gray (see picture).

Setup was quick and easy and is palatial inside. For the money its one of the best shelters getting around IMO. The only drawback is you need to be organised and order several months in advance.

Overall very very happy with it and looking forward to giving it a good test mid September on a 5 day hike in the high country.
Attachments
MLD1.jpg
IMG_4280.jpg
AlistairB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: MLD Duomid in Silnylon - intial thoughts

Postby Kurisu » Wed 16 Oct, 2019 6:12 am

Looks great! How many pegs do you think are really necessary?

I got a Nemo Apollo a few months ago, but kinda like the look of this better.

Any how did your trip go? Any updates?

Cheers,

Chris
Kurisu
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: MLD Duomid in Silnylon - intial thoughts

Postby johnrs » Wed 16 Oct, 2019 9:27 am

Nice pitch Alistair!
How tall are you?
What inner did you buy?