Scooby dooby Uberlite

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Scooby dooby Uberlite

Postby Lamont » Sat 06 Apr, 2019 7:23 am

Alright it's about time, put away the CCF, forget about the Zlite, shelve the Xlite, because there's a new kid in town and its name is UBERLITE.
It's been out for a while and I have been following it's progress-it's time to think about the TR Uberlite. No really.
There's been some use in the last few months but hard to get hold of (even in the US of a)-I suspect it won't sell well here or will it?
No failures yet reported, but I suspect use is limited due to availability issues and hesitancy.
Float away on gossamer wings...........
15D RipStop/top and 15D bottom! YYYYYowza! Bottom 15D a concern -the biggest for certain.
340 grams for the large- WWWWWhacko!
250 grams for standard -CCCCCCowabunga!
6.4 cms (goldilocks height/thickness for me at 1.79m!) of juicy goodness. Huzzah!
A teaser -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oXFCJi0TII
Morkel is somewhat taken by it's R value performance- take with a grain of salt?
Bound to sell here for at least $450.
Pair with a Torso Onda for about 5R and 440 grams in the large for cold weather?
I reckon I could baby it to last.
Good to about 4 degrees alone should be okay, which would suit many users who only walk in the milder months and other users who walk all year -put a piece of polycryo at 25 grams under for added protection?
Who's game?
Or in the interest-S of science fund me to test it :D :D
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Scooby dooby Uberlite

Postby Zapruda » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 1:18 pm

I think you should be our resident Uberlite tester and reviewer!

To be honest I haven't read much about this pad. I find I am either on my xtherm half the year in the cold or on the zlite when its hot. I'm super thankful of that insulating snow grass I sleep on!

I am keen to see how people like it. it definitely could take the place of an xlite in a two pad quiver.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 2:15 pm

Zapruda wrote:I think you should be our resident Uberlite tester and reviewer!

To be honest I haven't read much about this pad. I find I am either on my xtherm half the year in the cold or on the zlite when its hot. I'm super thankful of that insulating snow grass I sleep on!

I am keen to see how people like it. it definitely could take the place of an xlite in a two pad quiver.

Yes, I think it won't appeal to, or suit most applications, but it is strangely appealing. It is the size of a can of Melbourne Bitter rolled and how light is the large!
But the 15D youch-would it take my not indelicate weight without spitting my own Carbon dioxide straight back at me when I turn over in the night?
I have always been put off by the compact foam ones only because of the space taken, but I sleep on them fine and like the 'flat' set up. And that weight!
I would much rather they made a 'wide mummy regular length' shape. That would be a champion idea and probably get away with 350-380 grams?
I think it is made for the American backpacker with towns nearby, which all the tracks that seem well known, are near? Pop it -get another one? Don't know.
I would be happy to be the tester, just need to start one of those things-what do you young folk call it -'come on and fund me' or 'buy me a mat, mate' or something.
ps FYI https://backpackinglight.com/thermarest ... ad-review/
I hope there is no affiliate link/referral attached to that. If there is I didn't mean to do it.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 8:56 pm

I'd be tempted to test one out before my TJAR attempt but its really only a 60gm saving compared to my 230gm/R3.2 XLite in the stronger 30D nylon.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 7:34 am

Hmm interesting. It certainly won't tempt me away from my Xtherm with the 15D bottom but is cool to see Thermarest still pushing the limits.
Mountain Rocket
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 8:26 am

Mountain Rocket wrote:Hmm interesting. It certainly won't tempt me away from my Xtherm with the 15D bottom but is cool to see Thermarest still pushing the limits.

I don't think the bottom will be the weak point when I really think about it, your shelter floor adds much protection there. A few grams of polycryo if in doubt.
Much more concerning would be the top-sharp elbows and especially knees and bum concentrating weight in focussed points when you move around and especially getting onto and off (sitting up) the mat-that's when I would really be most gentle.
Might have to do a modified commando roll off the mat! A la Van Damme or Jacky Chan.
Lying down would not cause (me) much concern as your weight is more evenly distributed over the mat. Even the hip weight is a lot more evenly spread and I feel this would not be a concern.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 9:22 am

As Morkel said (or was it the similar BLP video?) it's long-term durability re resistance to abrasion is my main concern with such a light-weight bottom (and top for that matter!). Particularly in focused points caused from elbows, sitting up etc as you mention. Obviously people are willing to do 'interesting' things to save weight, but being paranoid every time I sit up on lie down on my sleeping mat is not something I'm keen on just to save a handful of grams :P

Happy to be proven wrong though. Time will tell how they stand up to pro-longed field use...
Mountain Rocket

Region: Tasmania

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 1:54 pm

Yes, go on!!!! Buy it, if you can, you know you want to.
The plush thickness tickles ma fancy, the weight-yes,the potential price poin- not so much.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby enlightened0ne » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 2:43 pm

It’s amazing that the regular weighs the same as my torso length Xlite. I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking it on an extended hike without some kind of protection though, so I would probably want to add in a 1/8” CCF full length under it. A torso uberlight plus a CCF pad might still be lighter than my xlite though...
enlightened0ne
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Lamont » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 3:17 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:

Yes, go on!!!! Buy it, if you can, you know you want to.
The plush thickness tickles ma fancy, the weight-yes,the potential price poin- not so much.

I shall get a small :shock: , regular :shock: and large :shock:
please send donations to fund this purchase to the -
Societe' de Lamont Cranston,
Cackleberry Road,
Hobart (next door to the Ponds Institute).
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 19 Apr, 2019 3:37 pm

Lamont wrote:I shall get a small :shock: , regular :shock: and large :shock:
please send donations to fund this purchase to the -
Cackleberry Road,
Hobart (next door to the Ponds Institute).

What about if I sent you a balaclava? Could rob a bank? Or the Ponds institute?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 19 Apr, 2019 4:41 pm

As a (non)recovering ultralight enthusiast, I suggest you change your view on how to value uber light offerings. :twisted: Think of them in terms of dollars per gram (bit like drugs). On this basis a Hilleberg Nallo tent is around 50c per gram while a Zpacks Duomid is almost $2 per gram. In the normal world the Hilleberg would represent far better value. :shock:
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Fri 19 Apr, 2019 4:41 pm

Please, I encourage all tax free donations.
We have been forced to move.
The rent in Hobart has gone through the roof-all those ruppies and ripsters.
The Ponds Institute! Can't get even get a cup of International Roast from those pillocks, they have all their money in Lichtenstein.
New address as follows
Give early and give often!
Home for the Fiduciarily Deranged,
12b Tartufo Lane,
Upper Crawley west (don't send it east-we at war with those two over there and they have access to my bank account!)
ps I am eating a baklava and wearing a balaclava now as it happens.
Buona Pasqua.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 19 Apr, 2019 8:14 pm

Mark F wrote:As a (non)recovering ultralight enthusiast, I suggest you change your view on how to value uber light offerings. :twisted: Think of them in terms of dollars per gram (bit like drugs).

Is there ever any real recovery, or just denial of an active addiction? :lol:

I will send you a balaclava if you send me your baklava, Lamont. Much sweeter deal for me.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 10:00 am

15d is pushing it in my opinion.

I use a nemo tensor mummy 3/4 It's 230grams and 20D. I also have the insulated version for winter 265grams.

At 20D I need to be careful with it. Strictly tent only (or tarp with grnd sheet) Even then I put a hole in it 12 months ago when a tiny twig that had snaggd on my shirt got bought into the tent.

15D... I wouldn't be relying on it for anything more than 3 season use within a days walk to the car.
Last edited by wildwanderer on Sat 20 Apr, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 10:03 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:I will send you a balaclava if you send me your baklava, Lamont. Much sweeter deal for me.

Sorry, don't have a square to spare.
Babka for the balaclava? Can't manage baklava.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 7:07 pm

And the bad news...

DURABILITY OF UBERLITE PADS

It appears people are having problems with the Thermarest Uberlite pads, in relation to durability. Which was something I know a number of us had variously speculated on.

Dixie from Homemade Wanderlust has just posted that she had not 1 but 2 pads go flat on the first night - both her mother's and her own. Now you could speculate on the surface they were putting the Uberlite pads on, but keep in mind she's an experienced hiker who's done thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail.

Also she said there were no visible leaks, nor the sound of a leak. Just a gradual very slow going flat of the pads over the course of the night.

The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkKs8VC7ZFU at around 6.54 mins in.

And what's worse, Thermarest when phoned provided terrible support. That it would take 4-6 weeks for when they got the pad for them to evaluate the pad and send out replacements. (Given how enormously popular her Youtube channel is, by so many viewers around the world, that's a policy which is going to be pricey to their reputation and sales results from here on in, I suspect. Clearly the phone support person didn't know the significance of who they were dealing with.)

We'll soon hear how all the thru-hikers are going with their pads, but it's sounding like it may be worth paying the 100 gram weight penalty and having the Thermarest NeoAir Xlite (or even the higher R value XTherm pad, depending on conditions) rather than cutting weight and going with the Uberlite.

We shall wait and see...
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Bubbalouie » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 7:28 pm

This is good news for my bank account, I was wanting a lighter/cooler pad for spring later this year (I have an xtherm right now).

That said, it is a little disappointing.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Lamont » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 6:12 am

Interesting re the American lass's failure of two mats. That makes four that I have heard. I have also read of quite a few being used with no issue. On snow on several instances with light ccf support. Couple of lads even chopped theirs with no issue. Of the small number of failures heard -wont hold air early on (immediately replaced no questions asked) or even on first inflation-seems miniscule against the Exped failures(which reportedly was a past issue -amended with newer models). I likely wont get one soon as they shut my go fund me page for lack of action and the fact that it some how went into debit.
Last edited by Lamont on Mon 01 Jul, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 6:49 am

Isn’t that the same person that slept on top of her duplex causing the material to abrade and then leak when it rained?

A few anecdotal reports should hardly rule a product out.

Sleeping pads leak. Expeds, S2S, xlites, xtherms, prolites... They all do it.

And I have had great experiences with the people that handle Therm-a-Rest here in Aus.

Let’s not get too caught up in the drama of YouTube personalities and their desperate need to create mountains out of mole hills.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 2:19 pm

Zapruda wrote:Isn’t that the same person that slept on top of her duplex causing the material to abrade and then leak when it rained?

I believe so.

Lamont, sorry the baklava didn't obscure your face enough to rob the bank to buy one in every size. If it were me, I would have a face full of sweet pastry and pulled off the heist with no issue.

Keen to hear how others get along with them, the (lack of) weight is amazing.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 11:11 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:
Zapruda wrote:Isn’t that the same person that slept on top of her duplex causing the material to abrade and then leak when it rained?

I believe so".

Whacko! Interesting concept. Sleeping on the ($900) tent. Strange way to avoid internal condensation? Hey big spender?

I'm too busy watching this bloke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yesqy-8gIYY
or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSLe_gq2tno
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bubbalouie » Sun 07 Jul, 2019 10:07 am

That video is great, so relaxing, I also love the way he uses the ambient sounds to make it more... immersive. Thanks for sharing.

Sleeping on top of a cuben tent does seem odd, the 0.5oz stuff isn't known for its abrasion resistance.

Whilst I'd say the jury is still out, I did see this today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultralight/comments/c9wr3t

Personally I'll not be rushing out to buy one of these until they've been out for at least a year. I am seeing reports of higher failure rates than the xlite and xtherm from people that I expect would know know how to care for their gear (xlite owners for example). It may be a sampling problem, a short term manufacturing issue or a dodgy batch, either way it's enough to give me pause.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Ultralight backpacking