Melbourne Wholesale Haberdashery Supplier

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Melbourne Wholesale Haberdashery Supplier

Postby andrewa » Wed 20 Nov, 2019 7:25 pm

Some 10yrs ago, I bought some cones of Ipcabond #40 (3500m) and #60 (4500m) thread, which has been really wonderful thread, but I finished my 4500m of #60 recently. I bought it from a wholesaler in Richmond, and couldn't recall the name, so I had a bit of a drive around yesterday to try to find the place - eventually found it.

Jack Stock Haberdashery Supplies, 75 Dover St, Richmond. A new cone of Ipcabond #60 was $19 (I couldn't find it for sale in Oz, and the nearest I found was about $50/cone) - $19 was about how much it was last time!; 25m of adhesive 25mm velco (one side only) was $1.30/m. They also sell zippers, but not the water-resistant #3 YKK, and all sorts of other wonderful stuff.

They don't have a website, as it looks to be an old traditional family run business - lots of piles of paper, lots of dusty boxes, and crap all over the place. One of those places you really have to visit to appreciate what they have to offer you. From outside , it looks derelict.

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Re: Melbourne Wholesale Haberdashery Supplier

Postby Petew » Wed 20 Nov, 2019 9:05 pm

That place sounds awesome!
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Warin » Thu 21 Nov, 2019 8:01 am

I do hope they stay the way they are. It works.

Gowings in Sydney were a successful business untill some accountant convinced then to 'expand' .. they are now out of business.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 04 Sep, 2020 7:19 am

I need a separating #3 YKK zipper in a 600mm length. I'll call them and see if they have any in stock. I think I may have purchased stuff from them when I lived in Richmond 0ve3r 40 years ago
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cecile » Fri 04 Sep, 2020 3:46 pm

Moondog55 wrote:I need a separating #3 YKK zipper in a 600mm length. I'll call them and see if they have any in stock. I think I may have purchased stuff from them when I lived in Richmond 0ve3r 40 years ago

You should ask your nearest and dearest, who sits in the same room as you, and who has access to and information about all sorts of things sewing, including zippers.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 04 Sep, 2020 4:01 pm

Cecile wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:I need a separating #3 YKK zipper in a 600mm length. I'll call them and see if they have any in stock. I think I may have purchased stuff from them when I lived in Richmond 0ve3r 40 years ago

You should ask your nearest and dearest, who sits in the same room as you, and who has access to and information about all sorts of things sewing, including zippers.

:D
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Petew » Sun 06 Sep, 2020 12:11 pm

Cecile wrote:

:) You made me laugh out loud.
Petew

Return to Make Your Own Gear