LW but strong and robust and waterproof

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

LW but strong and robust and waterproof

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 3:17 pm

For the inside of an emergency sleeping bag foot area

Having a discussion about UL sleeping gear and the subject of sleeping/bivvying in your boots was mentioned.

I have thought about what I keep in my ski touring day pack and realise that the UL Brooks Range half bag I use would not survive a night with my wearing my Telemark touring boots. In a wet and soggy survival situation I am not going to be taking my boots off as they are simply too warm not to use and they are much warmer with the shells on and unbuckled. I only need to survive a night at -10C as it doesn’t often get much colder than that. So I am thinking on making a new half bag with a reinforced foot area big enough to take my size 11 Telemark boots [ which are 336mm long and 129mm wide] so my query is regarding the most suitable LW fabric and what inside length I can get away with as a minimum to avoid buying too much.

I need to minimise my spend on this project so while not the best insulation I happen have some 3M Lite-loft which I need to use if I can’ find enough APEX here. For the rest of the bag inside and out I’m hoping can use what old nylon taffeta I have, the extra few grams won’t make any difference in real terms
I thought about using a big plastic bag inside the half bag and I guess I can do that but I have great big clod-hopping feet and the foot end of the BR half bag has always felt a little small
With all the fabric in my stash I don't have anything like this except some 2-Layer Goretex we bought for Cecile to make a winter jacket with. Just thinking back a few decades what I am thinking about is what Chouinard was selling just before the snafu and the sell-off to become Black Diamond
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: LW but strong and robust and waterproof

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 13 Jul, 2019 2:55 pm

I have found a small section of silnylon. That will do for the foot end internally.
That cheap crap sleeping bag I bought last week is going to be the insulation and shell donor and I just found an old sleeping bag inner for the liner. I may even remember to take some photos
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dashandsaph » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 2:36 pm

Ted, wondering whether a very cheap and very tough and waterproof option is 2 of the new tougher Coles/Woolies shopping bags? Plenty of room for a boot in each, would be a bit of a vapor barrier and if they got trashed, easy to replace. I've been using them in light snowfalls between my sock and trail runner with some success.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 3:53 pm

Yes that would work, I cut my skiing very short this season due to health reasons but I did back an extra orange garbage bag just in case. When I get around to actually sewing up this bag I'll post a new thread. Other things in the queue at the moment
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby secretary233 » Fri 23 Aug, 2019 1:33 pm

I recall and old trick my platoon sergeant taught me back in the day. He used to carry a couple of sandbags to stick over his boots when he was in his sleeping bag. Maybe try a couple of stuff sacks to put over your boots.
secretary233
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Make Your Own Gear