Which long(ish) walks are possible without local support?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Which long(ish) walks are possible without local support?

Postby Birdman » Mon 27 Apr, 2020 7:54 pm

Last year I visited Australia for some wonderful walking adventures that I really enjoyed! I walked the Larapinta Trail, Bibbulmun Track and Tasmania Overland Track. (For walk reports, see link in my signature).

In the future (post COVID-19), I would like to explore more. But coming from abroad, I'm wondering if anybody can recommend bushwalks that are feasible without having access to private transport, without local support and without the need to cash food/water. To me it looks like apart from the tracks that I have already walked, this could be difficult because the best places are usually very remote.

Here is how I managed my previous Australian walks:

* The Tasmania Overland was only short, so no troubles.

* The Bibbulmun is long, but you pass through small towns every few days and they had everything I needed, so I could just buy as I went (I didn't send any packages). Fantastic walk and completely trouble free.

* The Larapinta trail was trickier. You can let a commercial company deliver packages to a few points along the trail but this is an expensive service that I didn't want to use. I planned to walk the Larapinta in 12 days, so I just carried 13 days food. That went well, but this is about the limit I can carry. Also, Larapinta has the advantage of reliable water at the shelters, so no need to carry crazy amounts of water. And finally, access to this wonderful trail is easy: I just started walking from central Alice Springs and at the other end I just walked from Redbank Gorge to Highway 2, from which it was a quite easy hitch back to Alice Springs.

But now I'm wondering what other (if any) long(ish) walks are feasible in Australia for a foreign visitor without local support, private transport, caching etc. I'm looking especially at the east and north, because these have very different flora and fauna from the areas that I have already visited. I'm a birdwatcher and many new species are waiting there for me too. :mrgreen:
My walking and travel reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/
Birdman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Re: Which long(ish) walks are possible without local support

Postby ribuck » Mon 27 Apr, 2020 9:29 pm

The Great North Walk in NSW seems practical. It takes about two weeks. Even if you don't place any food drops in advance, there are some food outlets along the way, plus train access at several points. You might need to carry up to 5 days food at a time, plus a bit more of some things because the shops along the way don't have a huge range of food items.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Mon 27 Apr, 2020 11:43 pm

If you can carry 13 days food the AAWT from Canberra to Thredbo may be possible, it's about 200k. You may need a lift from Canberra to start at Tharwa and from Thredbo to Jindabyne at the end, bus from there. Alternatively hitch to Kiandra (half way) and start from there.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 6:26 am

Maybe combine the Thorseborne trail & Wet Tropics Great walk... they're access points are close together, with drop offs & pickups.

Tropical Island walking, mountains, beaches & mangroves Vs dry country, valley walking, crocodiles, gorges & waterfalls...
Last edited by ofuros on Tue 28 Apr, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 8:24 am

Parts - or maybe even all - of the Heysen Trail? The southern sections in particular pass through or close to population centres fairly frequently, so resupply should be fairly easy. It's highly variable in terms of scenery, difficulty and walking surface - everything from public roads to cross country. Great way to explore that part of South Aust.

The Jatbula maybe, although it requires booking. Train/bus to Katherine, hitch/bus to Nitmiluk, maybe do a little exploration on that side of the river first (there's a good one to three day return walk on the escarpment, with a number of sidetrips) and then the walk through to Leliyn. Hitch from there back to Katherine.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby GregR » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 11:22 am

Perhaps the Great South West Walk from Portland.

you can catch public transport straight from Melbourne into Henty St and begin walking.

Water is plentiful. Scenery varied, Beach walking, Huge sand dunes, High sea cliffs (Highest in Victoria), 2 different seal colonies, river gorge and bush. Visits 2 states albeit only for hour or so! Re-supply with non hiking food at Nelson for a half way treat.

I second NNW's suggestion re The Heysen Trail - public transport to Cape Jervis and hoof it through Victor Harbour and up into the Adelaide Hills (or beyond) The sections of the trail near the Mt Remarkable area are also accessible by public transport. https://heysentrail.asn.au/heysen-trail/transport/

I'd suggest Wilsons Prom but transport past Meeniyan would be an issue.

BTW: love your work Birdman, really loved reading your write ups.
GregR
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby crollsurf » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 11:49 am

The Great South Coast Walk is an unofficial walk that showcases some of Australia's beautiful coastline. Plenty of towns (resupply and accommodation) along the way plus a heap of public transport to get to and from the trail heads if you don't have the time or desire to walk the full 660km
http://greatsouthcoastwalk.net/

It's not wilderness by any means (except for the Nadgee end section) and early Autumn would be best when the weather isn't hot and the ocean is still warm enough to enjoy.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Kickinghorse » Sun 24 May, 2020 9:58 am

Investigating ideas for some longer walks, I came across this option for the Upper Yarra Walking Track in Vic. Has anyone done this?
Phil

http://www.finnsheep.com/THE%20UPPER%20 ... 0TRACK.htm
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby CraigVIC » Sun 24 May, 2020 10:17 am

There's a trip report (not mine) on the Upper Yarra on the forum

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29829
CraigVIC

Postby Kickinghorse » Sun 24 May, 2020 1:19 pm

Thanks Craig
Phil
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby GBW » Mon 25 May, 2020 10:02 am

I did it in June last year Phil. The first 25k to Ada Tree and the last 45k across Baw Baw are good...the 60k in between is average but with the roads closed along the catchment area you won't see many people between Ada Tree and Newlands. It's a bit of a bash up to the AAWT from Newlands.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wobbly » Tue 02 Jun, 2020 12:28 pm

The 144 km long Grampians Peak trail in western Victoria is due for completion by the end of 2020. Pretty easy access to both ends and Halls Gap in the middle. (Lots of day trippers around Halls Gap tho the rest of the Grampians are pretty quiet- even remote)
wobbly

Postby Eremophila » Fri 12 Jun, 2020 9:26 am

Great Dividing Trail? https://www.gdt.org.au/

Not a wilderness trail, and many towns along the way to re-supply - possibly a bit tamer than what you're seeking Birdman. But would be lovely in the springtime.
Eremophila

Postby Andrew » Sun 21 Jun, 2020 5:49 pm

Hi Birdman,

Enjoyed your PCT photos which is on my list :) is that a Bowfin 1 tent? was it a good choice?

What was your camera setup for the Bibbulmun shots?

Like you I loved the Bibbulmun, Larapinta, OT plus the Jatbula (easy/good swimming every night), Thorsborne Trail (easy/relaxing) plus I live in Tassie so we have lots of good week or so walks down here if you wanted to string some together.

The Heysen is one of my next ones and I reckon the Australian Alps Track might suit you.

This lady might have some ideas for you:-
https://soultrekkers.com.au/

Here is the list:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... _Australia

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Birdman » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 7:47 pm

Andrew wrote:Hi Birdman,

Enjoyed your PCT photos which is on my list :) is that a Bowfin 1 tent? was it a good choice?

Tarptent Double Rainbow. And yes, I love it! Used it on the PCT, AZT, Bibbulmun, Larapinta and also in (east) Tasmania and Thailand. However, when expected conditions are predominantly wet (Scotland, Sweden, etc) I would bring a dual skin tent.

What was your camera setup for the Bibbulmun shots?

Lumix DMC-TZ70 pocket camera!

Ontopic: thanks everybody for the good walks suggestions! I have already googled many of your suggestions. On my next Australia visit I'll probably do several of the suggested walks.
Birdman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby commando » Sun 30 Aug, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi Birdman
It seems you are one tough cookie, walking from Mexico to Canada 4200 kms really enjoyed the photos as well
The 211 birds listed on the Tasmania Overland walk did you see them or just what habitates in the area?
I would be interested to see your equipment list and and ask how do you trust a pair of boots to last 4000 kms?
as i tore apart a pair of Vendramini boots and was walking on my socks in Fjordland New Zealand because of the wet.
It seems the Australian Alpine Walking Track remains something for you to look at and conquer it used to be from
Walhalla to Bogong but now extends further now you could do that part as we met a guy named Ivan SkavinskiSkava
a D9 bulldozer type we met in Dibbins hut as we were celebrating a Xmas party he had walked from Walhalla
and hadn't met anyone in 10 days he walked with us to Mt Bogong so there is one part you could do after getting
supplies at Mt Hotham.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 31 Aug, 2020 11:31 am

The AAWT takes, on average, around 30 days. There are minimal resupply options unless you do food drops, which require some degree of independent transport. Of course, he could always do a Mad Belgian and try to cover the whole track without a resupply, but that's a completely different level of crazy.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 9:44 am

north-north-west wrote:The AAWT takes, on average, around 30 days. There are minimal resupply options unless you do food drops, which require some degree of independent transport. Of course, he could always do a Mad Belgian and try to cover the whole track without a resupply, but that's a completely different level of crazy.

I'd never heard of the 'Mad Beligian' until this comment.
He's amazing. I can't imagine packing 65kg (which was almost his body weight) for a journey. But if you did it, the AAWT unsupported would be doable.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 3:03 pm

we met a guy named Ivan SkavinskiSkava
HA!
And his mate Abdul Abulbul Emir maybe?

It's an old camping and bushwalking campfire song:
"Oh infidel know
That you have trod on the toe
Of Ivan Skavinski Skava".

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 4:46 pm

Roger - I had a feeling about that name (actally Ivan Skavinsky Skavar) that I couldn't put a finger on it. The other guy was Abdullah Bulbul Amir.

Anybody looking for the full 19 verses that make up the story, see page 30 of the Combined Universities Songbook; 1st ed 1965.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ribuck » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 6:09 pm

Mark F wrote:Anybody looking for the full 19 verses that make up the story, see page 30 of the Combined Universities Songbook; 1st ed 1965.

Since 1965 they've invented an internet, and a search for ivan skavinsky skavar lyrics will do the job. Or even a search for ivan skavinsky skavar rude version if you are so inclined.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 6:22 pm

OK, I'm thinking that's enough internet for me for 1 day

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Birdman » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 6:36 pm

commando wrote:Hi Birdman
The 211 birds listed on the Tasmania Overland walk did you see them or just what habitates in the area?

The Tasmania report is the third of the three reports of my Australia visit (the other two are Larapinta Trail and Bibbulmun Track). If you look at the table in the report carefully, you see that it has three columns which birds were seen on which part of the visit. The 211 species was for the entire trip. In Tasmania I saw 99 species of birds, on the Larapinta/ Alice Springs I saw 51 and on the Bibbulmun/Perth/Albany 139.

I would be interested to see your equipment list and and ask how do you trust a pair of boots to last 4000 kms?

On the PCT I started off on an old pair of boots and hiked the first 1100km on them until I reached the Sierra Nevada. There I replaced them with a new pair of boots that I had sent forward. On that pair I walked the remaining 3200km to Canada. At the end much of the thread had gone and the boots are very leaky now, but still comfortable. I use them to this day for daywalks on easy terrain in dry weather.

Main other gear is Osprey Aether 70 backpack, Tarptent Double Rainbow tent, NeoAir XTherm mattress and Cumulus Panyam 600 sleepingbag.

I don't think the AAWT is an option for me. The most I have walked without resupply was 12 days when hiking the Larapinta end to end (12 + 1 day spare food just in case) and that is about the maximum I want to carry. Perhaps 4 days extra would be possible if water is abundant (if no need for water carry), but that is really the maximum to keep the experience pleasant :)
Birdman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion