Dying Forests

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Dying Forests

Postby Hughmac » Sat 18 Jan, 2020 3:30 pm

Now that the smoke is clearing in the Southern Highlands, swathes of local forest are revealed to be dying from drought, not fire. Mt Gibralter, Gibbergunyah and Mt Alexandra are all affected, as are a variety of other locations in the district. Affected species include scribbly gums, silver top ash, Sydney peppermints, black she-oak and Acacia longifolia, among others, so it is not limited to particular species. Wondered if other districts were suffering the same fate. As if the fires weren't doing enough damage.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Dying Forests

Postby michael_p » Sat 18 Jan, 2020 4:06 pm

It's dry as a bone everywhere. I have noticed the death of nearly all the Mistletoe around my area. It has been happening slowly for the last six months but over the last two months the die-off has become almost total. Amazingly the host trees appear to be OK so I am not sure why the Mistletoe has died.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Dying Forests

Postby highercountry » Sat 18 Jan, 2020 4:34 pm

I'm in coastal East Gippsland.
The already rare stands of Coast Grey Box are looking very spindly. The oldest trees seem to be suffering most. Quite a few are dead, many more are dying back.

michael_p wrote:... Amazingly the host trees appear to be OK so I am not sure why the Mistletoe has died.

I have also noticed lots of dead misletoe sitting on the roadsides.
My reasoning is that perhaps the host tree can shut off translocation/circulation to it's extremities.
On the box trees first the leaf foliage thins out, even the the individual leaves look smaller, then the trees dies-back from the extremities inwards to the limbs and trunk.
I'd imagine anything attached to and living on the outer reaches of the tree will also die.
highercountry
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Bushwalking Discussion