Where do you go when your dreams die?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Where do you go when your dreams die?

Postby stry » Tue 05 May, 2020 11:35 am

Moondog55 wrote:Actually if you take the Ring-Road out of rush hour and discount the time spent farting around in Port Melbourne it might in fact take you an hour less. 2022 is when I expect it to be opening for business, with luck anyway. I think part of the delay might be getting the design right for the new ferries.

Not optimistic about that. Port Melbourne has been pretty easy for me, But I pick my travel days and haven't encountered cruise ships.

Either way, it won't be deal breaker for me.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 06 May, 2020 10:40 am

Well I posted the tent and the big sleeping bag to Canada just a few minutes ago.
I found the whole sale and posting quite hard to deal with emotionally. It needed to be done but it was hard to do. I guess it was an adult decision and I didn't want to act like an adult.
I think the purchaser may have bought a lot more sleeping bag than they need as he said his local area usually only gets to -30C but I guess a 50 degree safety margin is a good thing.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Wed 06 May, 2020 6:47 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Well I posted the tent and the big sleeping bag to Canada just a few minutes ago.
I found the whole sale and posting quite hard to deal with emotionally. It needed to be done but it was hard to do. I guess it was an adult decision and I didn't want to act like an adult.
I think the purchaser may have bought a lot more sleeping bag than they need as he said his local area usually only gets to -30C but I guess a 50 degree safety margin is a good thing.

I understand the whole emotional attachment thing. The more you get rid of, the less painful it becomes. :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 06 May, 2020 9:59 pm

Not emotionally attached to the physical objects so mush as the dreams they used to represent
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Fri 08 May, 2020 7:30 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Not emotionally attached to the physical objects so mush as the dreams they used to represent

I understand that too. :)
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 08 May, 2020 9:18 pm

Still trying to figure out that question myself. Personally, professionally. I've had opportunities that others would kill for, and yet they come with a pricetag I don't know I can pay. Time will tell, but it looks like I've managed to pick a second dying industry, so no joy there without a super-hero resume, and perfect health. Go back? And do what? Sure I could take over the farm but it can't support itself and I have no "remote work" skills. Even if I did, its so distant from anything thats anything that it wouldn't much matter. Glamorous dream that, but reality is hard and unrelenting.

I think that part of it must be divorcing from the expectations everyone else has. ie, the glamor of the career traveler, or the superstar adventure guide, or getting that "trip of a lifetime". And rather accept that there is something out there that other people would hate to be stuck with but I don't mind. Perhaps some of it is enjoying the anticipation for what it was, accepting that the planning and aspiration wasn't wasted and was in some ways a goal in and of itself. There is a difference between the guy who plans knowing full well that the door will never be opened and the first steps never taken, and being ready to go when circumstances make the decision for you. Yes there is disappointment, that goes almost without saying, but its only thus because the event had meaning. Perhaps another opportunity presents that is feasible, or perhaps not. But then again, nothing ventured and all that.

At some point there is a crest to this hill and I'll see what direction I need to go, but until then its the slow slog of one foot in front of the other until then. I suspect that over the next few years there will be many along the way who have thought maybe it easier to stop. I'm certain you can show them that even if it doesn't all work out, the walk will still have been worth it. Maybe time to stretch out into some of the adventures that are not as comfortable, if for nothing else than to find new dreams.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby markg » Wed 13 May, 2020 8:41 pm

Nothing wrong with car camping, you can get to some really nice places if you do your homework, and some are remote enough you rarely see anyone else. We bushwalk and hike simply to go fishing, and it takes us to some really nice places. For us it's a good balance, and we sure as hell don't count grams when we do it. We cover plenty of miles from our base at times, on other days it doesn't matter and that's enough for us. The vehicles give us plenty of scope for all the little luxuries you simply cannot take if your objective is to have a fixed destination to reach in a certain amount of time, and you need to pay greater attention to your logistics. Park your car and do short hikes, on the odd occassion we might do an overnighter away from the car and return the next day. Mix it up a bit, you might be pleasantly surprised. Do lose heart Moondog, you just need to readjust your mind and possibly take a different path. Another bonus is food, you can eat what you like and not worry about the weight in your back pack. :D :D
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 14 May, 2020 8:06 pm

Markg, I would agree with that one. There are a lot of park areas that are quite suited to that sort of thing. Yuraygir in NNSW springs to mind. Some very nice views, and good road access. I know a few people who have walked it with a partner driving between campsites. Did it with several school groups. Yes, a bit built up. But I'm sure that here are other places farther from the beaten track that would do pretty well.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 27 Jun, 2020 12:45 pm

New dreams needed?
Thanks to all the support and stuff.
Anyway I think I'm reconciled to the new reality even if I don't like it.
Car camping, touring and if funds permit maybe even a little skiing and snow camping when the Covid panic subsides.
I will however start selling off the stuff I will no longer need, I have boots I bought before my feet grew that I've never worn except to trial and they will never fit me now my feet have stretched again.
Expect to see some LW and even UL gear listed for sale soon and much more stuff in the PIF thread too as I see no need for DIY now on older gear
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 26 May, 2023 12:02 pm

Well I'm now posting to say that getting rid of/moving on my ski-touring and extreme cold weather gear is still causing some deep emotional stress.
Having sold my Hellesport tent to a fellow member a while ago I've just passed on my old Everest rated down parka and my OR Firebrand overmittens and it hurt.
Planning for the Uluru trip and working on the camper trailer doesn't seem the fill the void completely.
I'm tired of being an adult making adult decisions even if it needs to be done
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnrs » Fri 26 May, 2023 3:59 pm

But Moondog
There is no snow at Uluru!
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 26 May, 2023 4:39 pm

Not at the moment.
There has been sometimes tho.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ggorgeman » Fri 26 May, 2023 4:41 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Well I'm now posting to say that getting rid of/moving on my ski-touring and extreme cold weather gear is still causing some deep emotional stress.
Having sold my Hellesport tent to a fellow member a while ago I've just passed on my old Everest rated down parka and my OR Firebrand overmittens and it hurt.
Planning for the Uluru trip and working on the camper trailer doesn't seem the fill the void completely.
I'm tired of being an adult making adult decisions even if it needs to be done

"Moondog's Lament"

Sounds like the grieving process happening; hopefully some new (and different) adventures will eventually fill the void. Stay positive!

Perhaps time to create one of those coffee table books that features pics of many of the happy memories from ski-touring.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion