Minnow Falls escarpment route closed

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Minnow Falls escarpment route closed

Postby billshep2 » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 5:00 pm

The Minnow Falls escarpment route is closed until further notice as the rope ladders are unsafe. The first one is usable but not reliable. The others have broken ropes. We are hoping to get funding for much safer steel cable or aluminium replacements. I have left steel cables and gear at the foot of the second ladder for temporary repairs which will have to be done from above as its now very wet on the slabs.

I have posted this separately as it is a safety issue and may get lost in the big Minnow falls post.

Many thanks to Poosnapper for reporting this problem and giving us a kind donation. There should be more like him.

Basil's excellent track to the Lower Minnow Falls is still open and in good order.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Minnow Falls escarpment route closed

Postby north-north-west » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks.
Not surprising, as I thought those ladders were getting a bit dodgy last time in there. Hope you can get the funding for the upgrade - this is too good a walk too be closed permanently.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Maraea48 » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 7:47 am

The Minnow falls Escarpment route is now passable again. The broken #2 rope ladder has been replaced with an new stainless steel rope ladder. We are working on the #3 ladder, there is an extra, temporary, safety rope there just in case the existing ropes give way. The #1 ladder is still Ok but will be replaced as soon as we get some money together. That is the ladder that gets the most traffic as it lead to the Middle falls plateau, up from the bottom falls, which is the most scenic spot on the entire circuit track. The Minnow falls Skyline route is challenging in places and thick with tea tree on the top but possibly the most exiting 6 hour adventure in the North West. We will improve the track in due time. More details on the "New access track to Minnow Falls" Post.
Maraea48
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby billshep2 » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:55 am

I have replaced ladder one with a 5 mm steel cable and treated pine ladder. The old one is still there until we finalise the steps and anchors. This should be durable and strong. Ladder 2 is now safe, just requires a couple of new steps at the bottom. Ladder three is still very dodgy but I have left a strong rope on the slab until we get this fixed.I have cleared a few fallen limbs on the way up.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby vclparke » Fri 10 May, 2019 8:36 pm

We installed a new ladder three at the Minnow falls today, as pictured, and the replacement ladders one and two are also fully functional, so the complete route from the bottom falls up to the top of the escarpment is now restored.
Attachments
P1010088.JPG
vclparke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Maraea48 » Mon 13 May, 2019 7:52 pm

The #2 Ladder was supposed to be extended but unfortunately we forgot to bring the extra treads.
Attachments
2X2A8125.JPG
#2 ladder is still a little short but passable, we will fix it soon
IMG_2324.JPG
#1 Ladder is ready for use
Maraea48
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes