Filtering Water in Tasmania

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Filtering Water in Tasmania

Postby Greg Hall » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 3:56 pm

Hello all,

Writing this from Canada and am wondering if one needs a water filter that filters out viruses? Are there viruses located in Tassie's fresh water systems. We are planning on some multi-day hikes and currently have a filter that doesn't filter viruses. Please advise if possible.

Thanks!

Greg
Greg Hall
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Filtering Water in Tasmania

Postby philm » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 6:39 pm

I have walked a lot in Tasmania on many of the tracks - Overland, Walls of Jerusalem, South Coast etc. and never filtered water. Just be careful of where you collect the water i.e. upstream from camps etc. and you will be fine. Others may have a different view but I know many who don't filter and have never had any issues.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Lizzy » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 8:00 pm

Viruses tend not to be a problem in Australia. A filter which handles larger organisms like bacteria should be adequate if you want to be careful
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 8:03 pm

Likewise, I rarely treat water in Tassie. +1 for knowing what's upstream. It took me a few years to get used to the fact that Tasmanian bushwalkers drink straight out of small pools of still water. I've joined them, with no problems. I do carry tablets to treat water if I think it might be sus. Very small and light to carry
https://www.katadyn.com/downloads/katadyn/factsheets/micropur/factsheet_micropur-forte-mf-1t_en.pdf

On some more remote walks it's worth taking a yabbi tube - a length of tubing you can put down a yabbi hole and suck/siphon water out. That can be the only source of water at times.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:38 am

Tortoise wrote:On some more remote walks it's worth taking a yabbi tube - a length of tubing you can put down a yabbi hole and suck/siphon water out. That can be the only source of water at times.

Yes, you're not a real Tasmanian bushwallker until you've learnt to get your jollies by introducing innocent and unsuspecting native crustacea to the joys of colonic irrigation.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby danman » Tue 25 Dec, 2018 2:58 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Tortoise wrote:On some more remote walks it's worth taking a yabbi tube - a length of tubing you can put down a yabbi hole and suck/siphon water out. That can be the only source of water at times.

Yes, you're not a real Tasmanian bushwallker until you've learnt to get your jollies by introducing innocent and unsuspecting native crustacea to the joys of colonic irrigation.

:lol:
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes