Ironstone via Smoko Creek

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Ironstone via Smoko Creek

Postby naturelover » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 6:56 pm

There are lots of routes on offer for climbing Mt Ironstone. Having last climbed it in 1988, and via Syds Track (and on skis), I thought it would be good to reclimb it in 2017 using a different approach, to do it in walking boots, and to carry a camera. Smoko Creek route was the one we chose, and a really beautiful way it was too, especially on a hot day that allowed swimming for my hardy bushwalking buddy and friend. I took photos. Here is one that gives you an idea. For more route description and photos, visit my blog http://www.natureloverswalks.com/mt-ironstone/
Attachments
IMG_9119.jpg
Last edited by naturelover on Tue 07 Mar, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Ironstone via Smoko Creek

Postby cams » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 8:59 am

Typo in your link Louise.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby naturelover » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 9:11 am

Thanks so much for alerting me to that cams. I believe it is now corrected. :-)
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stoffy » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 6:50 am

Great write up !
Has any one done Ironstone via Smoko lately? Is Chasm falls crossing passable?

cheers,
Ben
stoffy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MrWalker » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 7:03 am

stoffy wrote:Has any one done Ironstone via Smoko lately? Is Chasm falls crossing passable?

Chasm Falls crossing was closed when we were there in mid-December. I have not heard any reports that the bridge has been replaced.
MrWalker

Postby stoffy » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 8:06 am

MrWalker wrote:
stoffy wrote:Has any one done Ironstone via Smoko lately? Is Chasm falls crossing passable?

Chasm Falls crossing was closed when we were there in mid-December. I have not heard any reports that the bridge has been replaced.

Thanks MrWalker,
Was there a detour that you took?
stoffy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MrWalker » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 7:10 am

stoffy wrote:
MrWalker wrote:

Thanks MrWalker,
Was there a detour that you took?

No. We just wanted to see the lower, middle and upper chasm falls, so we didn't need to go further.
I believe the official route at present is via Stone Hut Track.
MrWalker

Postby teak » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 10:28 am

I went to Smoko Rd. today and there is a sign stating that Ironstone Track is closed from its junction with Mother Cummings Track all the way up to the Dell Track junction. The sign suggests getting to Ironstone via Stone hut then down Dell Track to pick up the track above the closed section. I would rather go via Stone hut track to the Dell then up Bastion Bluff track and across the plateau to Ironstone.
Attachments
DSCN1105.jpg
Sign at Smoko Rd. carpark
DSCN1107.jpg
sign on Ironstone Track at junction with Mother Cummings Track.
teak

Postby MrWalker » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 4:45 pm

There is a similar sign at start of teh 4WD track from the quarry carpark for Stone Hut/Bastion Cascades track, in case someone might plan to do a circuit of Stone Hut to Chasm Falls. So if you check for signs you won't be caught partway round a circuit and unable to continue.
Although the signs say the track is closed, the only issue is that the bridge at the top Chasm Falls is missing.
MrWalker

Postby Phil » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 9:16 am

Hi all

Just spoke with PWS who concurred re MrWalker's previous comment, in that the only issue is the timber walking bridge being down. They advised that we could still walk that track/route, and that a short alternate pad has developed to navigate via the location of the bridge. And being that water levels are very low it shouldn't be a challenge to pass through...

Also, is there a summit trig on Ironstone? ie so that once on the plateau it is easily discernible where to head towards if self-navigating across the plateau.

Thanks
Phil

Postby Hot073 » Sat 04 May, 2019 4:47 pm

I walked to the lower,middle and upper Falls today,the track still has closed signs on it!No reason why it couldn’t be open to the upper Falls as the old log bridge over the Chasm(no longer there) is past the upper Falls!
You can bypass the chasm by continuing to walk up the right hand side of the creek for another 100m or so until a safe place is found to cross and rejoin the track to Ironstone!
Don’t know why parks don’t put another little bridge over the chasm!its only about 4-5 metres across maximum,just needs a pre fabricated walkway dropped across it.
Hot073
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes