Leaning Peak abseil

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Leaning Peak abseil

Postby gbagua » Sun 19 May, 2019 8:29 am

I did Short Leaning Ridge yesterday and can't believe how absent-minded I'm that I forgot to check the length of the abseil!! :oops: It wasn't my rope but still pretty slack behaviour.

I'll be doing the Long ridge mid-June this year but this time I'll be bringing my own rope. I'll purchase a static rope which I'll purely use for abseiling/rappelling but the length is what I need to know as the difference in weight will be noticeable. 50m rope is lighter that a 60m one, obviously.

My question is I think a 50m rope is fine but one needs to down climb the last bit, not an issue since it's pretty easy inclined terrain.

Has anyone used a 50m rope in the abseil recently?

Cheers :)
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Leaning Peak abseil

Postby gbagua » Mon 20 May, 2019 3:18 pm

A 50m rope is the minimum length to rappel from the anchor point located 20 m below the summit. Alternatively you can use a 25m static + 30m tagline (7mm cord) but bear in mind there is friction on a rock ledge located 3m below and that would cause too much abrasion on the cord to the point that it should be discarded after one use for safety reasons.

It is bolted, two rap rings attached to the hangers.
gbagua

Region: Queensland

Return to Queensland