Binna Burra to Ratatat or alternative? Ovenight

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Binna Burra to Ratatat or alternative? Ovenight

Postby spittle » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 4:20 pm

Hi

I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions and critique on my itinerary.

I'm planning an overnight hike in Lamington National Park this coming weekend with about 13kg backpack. The weather is currently forecast for heavy rain on Day 1. I don't mind the rain and will be equipped appropriately.

I'm thinking:

- Park at Binna Burra
- Hike to Mt Bithongabel (then assess how tired I am and time)
- Potentially do either Toolona Creek or Albert Creek circuit and camp at Bithongabel or Echo Point, or
- or skip the creek circuits on day one and walk to Rat-a-tat or similar and Camp.
- Then on day two - do one of the creek circuits and back to Binna Burra, or just head straight back.

Can anyone help me to put some times against the different sections? Perhaps if I was walking at the pace suggested in "Take a Walk". That will help me to estimate the time I need to start and book an appropriate campsite.
Any suggestions on whether the campsites I've mentioned are the good options in the area?
I'm assuming the leeches will be out in force - hopefully Deet does the trick along with gaiters.

Thanks
spittle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Binna Burra to Ratatat or alternative? Ovenight

Postby Jayps68 » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 1:11 pm

HI,

Did you end up doing this?
Im interested to know which route/options/weather you took/encountered. Binna Burra through to Rat would have made a loooong day.
Cheers, JP
It's all the same to me where i begin, for to there I shall return...
Jayps68
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Binna Burra to Ratatat or alternative? Ovenight

Postby spittle » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 8:30 pm

Jayps68 wrote:HI,

Did you end up doing this?
Im interested to know which route/options/weather you took/encountered. Binna Burra through to Rat would have made a loooong day.
Cheers, JP

In the end I just did BB to Rat and back the following day. It was pretty straight forward, but I didn’t feel like adding another circuit on top.

I didn’t know what to expect from Echo Point in terms of how well defined the trail would be. I learnt that the Qtopo map was not very accurate and a trail that was marked as going around the east side of a hill, actually went on the western side. I made an error here and followed the map for two-hours off piste which eventually rejoined the trail. So its best to follow the reasonably trafficked trail with the pink markers. If it disappears, it’s probably because a tree has fallen so you can just navigate around the tree/scrub onto the other side of it to rejoin the trail.
spittle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland