Lamington NP overnight

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lamington NP overnight

Postby SHC73 » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 2:23 pm

Looking for some recommendations on an overnight hike in Lamington NP. Have done quite a few overnights in and around Mount Barney and have decided to come into the rainforest for a bit! I prefer to get away from the crowds so lean more towards off track (my nav skills are ok). Anyone have any recommendations for Lamington, ideally looking at long walks to get away from the crowds and add some misery and emotion into the mix!!
SHC73
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Lamington NP overnight

Postby dis » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 4:41 pm

Highly recommend rat-a-tat. Not a difficult off-track hike, but a magical place to stay overnight.
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby SHC73 » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 4:59 pm

Yes - was looking at Rat-a-tat as I am taking some friends in it would have been a cracker. Unfortunately it is booked !
SHC73
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dalehikes » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 12:54 pm

Unfortunately there arent a whole lot of options within Lamington for bush camping that have easy enough access. Most require significant effort (sounds like they are up your alley!).

Good ones on Lost World are difficult to get to and most remote (recently re-opened after fire in the area). The running/england creek junction camp was washed away in cyclone debbie, rat-a-tat seems popular now and regularly booked although very nice spot, (illinbah, echo, bithongabel) are all viable on-track camps, just get a bit of foot traffic during the day although they are all located away from the track itself. Point Lookout and Stinson are also good camp site options away from crowds. Darlington camp would be quiet and peaceful however lugging a pack up the darlington range is very tiresome!
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SHC73 » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 2:11 pm

Thanks dalehikes appreciate you taking the time to provide input. Will have a look at those!
SHC73
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lyrebird » Sat 16 Mar, 2019 11:47 pm

There is the Stinson/Point Lookout/Stretcher Track option. I have walked the Stinson Track as a day walk and there is a campground there; I believe you can book it through QNPWS. It's an interesting walk with a lot of history to it.
There is another a camp area further up the mountain at Point Lookout, from where you could return to Christmas Creek via the Stretcher Track.
Neglected Mountain is also in the Christmas Creek/Running Creek area and people do camp there overnight (I don't know if they're supposed to) which could be another option. There are bits and pieces online about it but I haven't done it myself.
Rat-a-Tat is very nice.
however lugging a pack up the darlington range is very tiresome!

Second, third and fourth that. More clingy lawyer vines, mis-interpretative signs and false trails than the Planning and Environment Court. Cheaper, though :twisted:
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SHC73 » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 9:50 am

Thanks Lyrebird - we may be in the same industry, know all about the P&E court!
SHC73
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland