Leaning Peak to Barney Gorge

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Leaning Peak to Barney Gorge

Postby gbagua » Sun 22 Mar, 2020 2:37 pm

Hello,

Planning to do this descent soon. Has anyone done it or has info about descending the couloir?

Cheers!

gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Leaning Peak to Barney Gorge

Postby dalehikes » Tue 24 Mar, 2020 12:43 pm

https://zenandtheartofclimbing.com/trip ... y-couloir/

This is ascent though, but gives an idea of conditions...
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Tue 24 Mar, 2020 1:20 pm

The one in the photo, as far as I know, is not the "Barney Couloir" climbing route, but another steep gully feeding down into Barney gorge. The one described by Ryan Siacci in his trip report, may be tricky to abseil due a serious lack of sturdy shrubs at intervals, but the one in the photo looks more vegetated and could be a different story...
CBee

Postby gbagua » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 12:28 pm

Yes thanks but I wasn't referring to the grade 17/19 (can't remember the grade right now) climb but the gully that descends from Leaning saddle down to Barney G. The climb is right on the opposite side, running from the Moonlight Slabs up to the saddle and it's pure rock. The one I'm discussing is vegetated/grassy and slabby.

Cheers!
gbagua

Postby warloch » Tue 14 Jul, 2020 2:04 pm

Looks like a hiker unfortunately died over the weekend attempted to get to Leaning Peak, may they rest in peace :( https://www.news.com.au/national/queens ... queensland

Channel 7 were the ones who reported they were attempting Leaning Peak, that article I've linked is very basic (as is most Murdoch dribble).
warloch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CBee » Tue 14 Jul, 2020 4:33 pm

Leaning Peak, via either short or long leaning ridge, is a serious outing for bushwalkers. A line of least resistance should be picked with care, because the terrain is very exposed and the slab can get tricky at times. It's only a low rockclimbing grade but once you are in the top half, you realise why is one of the most "technical bushwalk" in SEQ. A rope is mandatory IMO (and knowing how to use it) even if you decide to come back the same way without the abseil off the summit. But in saying this, I still believe is the most spectacular route on Barney, including the approach on Barney creek. Very sad to read about someone losing their life...
CBee

Postby gbagua » Wed 15 Jul, 2020 4:33 pm

Hiker...or climber. We saw them. They walked down fast and overtook is in the Lower Portals after going down where the cave is at the top. One of them was wearing TX4s. The thing that surprised me is they were wearing shorts and tees on that Sat. Weather was cold and very humid. Visibility just below Barney waterfall when we got there, around 9am. We thought they were attempting LLR since we didn't see anybody going up the track from where SL starts at Barney waterfall so we assumed these guys are going for LLR but on the other hand it doesn't make sense as they would need to go through where Barney creek starts to narrow and you'll end up getting wet and swim at one point for a stretch...so it really takes a lot longer than going up on the ridge and then drop down to Barney camp.

No idea what the couple were up to as they were carrying small packs. Maybe one was carrying only the rope and the other the rest of their gear plus some snacks and water. Very light for a winter hike. In any case, wrong clothing for winter in a mountain that has alpine conditions. Not recommended.

Then a climbing buddy told me today the accident occurred on Short Leaning. So they walked very fast.

We called it the day at Barney waterfall, had lunch a good chat and returned to the car park and then we saw the Police cars, paramedics and a chopper on its way to Leaning. It was 11:30am. The Police questioned me about the possible area where the unfortunate accident happened and I mentioned LLR. My apologies. I had no idea they were on the Short Ridge. In any case they decided to call the SES for a recovery of the body but at that time they couldn't locate it due to poor weather conditions.

It's a tragic event and wish my deepest condolences to the family of the deceased hiker/climber.
gbagua

Postby Lyrebird » Thu 16 Jul, 2020 5:29 pm

Hiker...or climber.

They were hikers; my understanding is that they were locals from the Boonah district. I'm not sure if they were using a rope.
It's a tragic event and wish my deepest condolences to the family of the deceased hiker/climber.

Same. Stay safe out there people! :(
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Iamspartacus » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi gbagua,

Yes I did this descent to the waterfall a few years ago. I remember it as being a bit desperate.

How did you go?

Andy
Iamspartacus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby gbagua » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 9:52 am

Hi Andy,

I haven't done it yet because I fear it could take longer than going back to the cars from the other side. Thinking of doing this time a Moonlight Slabs descent rather than the now very messy Isolated-North Peak creek due to recent bushfires.

Anyway would you mind giving an detailed descriptions of what is involved on the descent? Did you leave behind tape and rap rings/maillons for the raps if any are required at all?

Thanks! :)
gbagua

Postby Iamspartacus » Tue 12 Jan, 2021 1:38 am

Hi,

I scrambled rather than rapped down.

I remember it as being quite awkward in places, basically slabby down climbing around a groove.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

A
Iamspartacus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby gbagua » Wed 20 Jan, 2021 3:03 pm

Thanks. We'll scramble too. More fun :)
gbagua