Grampians Walk Advice?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Grampians Walk Advice?

Postby FNM » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 11:08 am

Baeng72 wrote:
I camped at Bugiga early June last year, and it was about 4c and clear, and my -5 synthetic bag was fine.

Water should be easy to come by until summer (was at Mt. Difficult last September and just recently and water was flowing).
As for filtering, if it's flowing and you're not downstream from a campsite/toxic waste dump it's probably OK (not an expert), but a Sawyer mini isn't too expensive and is good for filtering, if a bit slow.
You can also chuck in a chlorine tablet if you really want to nuke anything in your water.

That’s good to know re the temp and water. I’ve got one of Mike’s quilts (-5) that I used when I did Bogong late April last year and was very warm so sure it’ll be fine. I tend to sleep warm as well so probably take me even a little beyond -5. I am ready to buy a filter - just haven’t settled on which one/type yet, but doesn’t sound like there is any rush before these hikes. Will just take a couple of tablets and use them if I feel the need! Thanks for the info!
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby FNM » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 8:58 pm

Tino B wrote:Doing Difficult and Major Mitchell as 2 overnighters is an option. Day 2 of Difficult can be done and dusted in less than 3 hours - I’ve done it in 2:00:37 but pushing.

Sheep hills car park to First Wannon is 3-4 hours. Even if you take longer, plenty of time to do it.

Hi again. I just had a look at the map you provided (thanks!). I’m not a map-reader/topo map-reader at all so just trying to piece together what you have in the PDF with what I’m reading elsewhere. Firstly, is the Red trail still an established trail that is designed to be used? I ask because of the ‘Old Route’ title. Or is it that it’s the current trail until the Yellow section is completed? Or is it now just the Green/Red trails?

Provided the Red trail is still designed to be used, does that mean (if going clockwise), I would take the Red trail to Mt Difficult via Briggs Bluff, potentially camp up near the summit (will a non-freestanding tent work for this?) and then head back to Beehive via the Green/Red route? Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tino B » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 11:01 pm

The only section that is the "Old Route" is the first section in red after Beehive Falls. It goes SE and the new, official section for the GPT goes SW (green). Both routes meet up on the first plateau before heading towards Briggs Bluff. The "Old Route" is marked with yellow paint triangles or reflectors, but if you are unsure if you can navigate this route, take the first green section. The 'Old Route" up onto the plateau has much better views IMO, but the first green section has good views too.

Red = day 1. Green = Day 2. Yellow = Not open when I was there last there in Nov/Dec 2019 (but I went this way for a sticky beak and the track was complete). If it is complete and open, you can go this way but it will make the walk much shorter.

Depending on your fitness, you may be stuffed by the time you get to Long Point West, but the extra effort for sunset and sunrise on Mt Difficult is worth it.

You will be able to pitch a non-freestanding tent at the old summit site. If you camped on the rocky areas before the summit area that I mentioned on the other post, you may need to be creative with jamming stakes in cracks or using a Deadman kind of staking behind a rock etc.

BTW, Major Mitchell is closed between First Wannon and Jimmy Creek, so is currently an out and back walk - maybe the Halls Gap section of the GPT would be better.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 9:35 am

At the risk of adding to your confusion. Annotated map from openstreetmap showing new alignment/route after Beehive falls heading SW, and old route heading SE.
The new alignment is only a few ks, and rejoins the old route just after a nice tarn.
mtd.JPG

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/- ... 5&layers=C
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FNM » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 11:45 am

Tino B wrote:The only section that is the "Old Route" is the first section in red after Beehive Falls. It goes SE and the new, official section for the GPT goes SW (green). Both routes meet up on the first plateau before heading towards Briggs Bluff. The "Old Route" is marked with yellow paint triangles or reflectors, but if you are unsure if you can navigate this route, take the first green section. The 'Old Route" up onto the plateau has much better views IMO, but the first green section has good views too.

Red = day 1. Green = Day 2. Yellow = Not open when I was there last there in Nov/Dec 2019 (but I went this way for a sticky beak and the track was complete). If it is complete and open, you can go this way but it will make the walk much shorter.

Depending on your fitness, you may be stuffed by the time you get to Long Point West, but the extra effort for sunset and sunrise on Mt Difficult is worth it.

You will be able to pitch a non-freestanding tent at the old summit site. If you camped on the rocky areas before the summit area that I mentioned on the other post, you may need to be creative with jamming stakes in cracks or using a Deadman kind of staking behind a rock etc.

BTW, Major Mitchell is closed between First Wannon and Jimmy Creek, so is currently an out and back walk - maybe the Halls Gap section of the GPT would be better.

Thanks so much. That makes sense now. We’re going to try and get there tomorrow or Thursday.

I would say we’re above average fitness, slightly and mid-30s. Roughly how long would you anticipate it would take to get to Long Point West and/or the old summit site? Is that summit site quite exposed? Is that why you suggest the rocky area before it? I’m taking my 2p X-mid for the first time. Not sure how wild the weather can get at the summit. We’re also tossing up whether we can leave early tomorrow and do the hike in the same day (3hr drive from Bellarine), or whether we should first spend a night in HG and take off early the following morning. Is there a car park at Beehive Falls where the route begins? ... Sorry for all the questions - I appreciate the responses! Edit: I think I can see on the map that the car park is at Rose’s Gap and that’s where the trail starts.

I imagine we will take off in the direction of the old route for the better views and if we feel like we can’t easily follow it, we can always turn back and take the new route.
Last edited by FNM on Tue 28 Jul, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 11:46 am

Baeng72 wrote:At the risk of adding to your confusion. Annotated map from openstreetmap showing new alignment/route after Beehive falls heading SW, and old route heading SE.
The new alignment is only a few ks, and rejoins the old route just after a nice tarn.
mtd.JPG

That’s great! Thanks! I think it may have answered the question in my post above. Looks like the car park is at Rose’s Gap and that’s where the trail begins? Cheers!
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 11:57 am

FNM wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:At the risk of adding to your confusion. Annotated map from openstreetmap showing new alignment/route after Beehive falls heading SW, and old route heading SE.
mtd.JPG

That’s great! Thanks! I think it may have answered the question in my post above. Looks like the car park is at Rose’s Gap and that’s where the trail begins? Cheers!

Yeah, Beehive Falls car Park is at Roses Gap (start of walk).
If you're coming from Halls Gap, take the Mt. Zero road, which is sealed for about 1k out of Halls Gap, then unsealed up to where it joins the road near Roses Gap.
Take your time if you go on that road, as wildlife has a habit of spooking and running in front of cars (an Emu wanted to take on the front of a car I was following when last up there, but luckily they were going slow enough to stop).
If you start early, you can drive up on the day. Check the forecast. If it's raining, howling with wind, then maybe reconsider. If it's not too bad on those fronts, you should be OK.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 12:12 pm

If you are thinking on driving up the night before, there's a free campground on the Mt. Zero road, about half way between Halls Gap and Rose's Gap.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Plant ... FHoECBIQCA
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FNM » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 12:13 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
FNM wrote:
mtd.JPG

Yeah, Beehive Falls car Park is at Roses Gap (start of walk).
If you're coming from Halls Gap, take the Mt. Zero road, which is sealed for about 1k out of Halls Gap, then unsealed up to where it joins the road near Roses Gap.
Take your time if you go on that road, as wildlife has a habit of spooking and running in front of cars (an Emu wanted to take on the front of a car I was following when last up there, but luckily they were going slow enough to stop).
If you start early, you can drive up on the day. Check the forecast. If it's raining, howling with wind, then maybe reconsider. If it's not too bad on those fronts, you should be OK.

Awesome! Thanks :) It’s look pretty decent on the weather front - not much forecast in the way of rain or strong winds. I imagine it can all change fairly rapidly. Worst case scenario, if the weather turns really bad we can spend a night in town, I guess!
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 12:14 pm

Baeng72 wrote:If you are thinking on driving up the night before, there's a free campground on the Mt. Zero road, about half way between Halls Gap and Rose's Gap.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Plant ... FHoECBIQCA

Epic!
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 12:33 pm

A list like this might be worth a look. I don't think you'll have snow or any of that, but it might remind you of gear you need to pack (like sleeping mats, don't go camping without a sleeping mat unless you're really into being uncomfortable, or *&%$#! tickets, or dry clothes for camping in).
https://parks.tas.gov.au/Documents/Walk ... 20List.pdf
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FNM » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 12:41 pm

Baeng72 wrote:A list like this might be worth a look. I don't think you'll have snow or any of that, but it might remind you of gear you need to pack (like sleeping mats, don't go camping without a sleeping mat unless you're really into being uncomfortable, or *&%$#! tickets, or dry clothes for camping in).

That is handy! Ta. Got a bit of new gear I’ll be taking out actually, so better make sure the pad holds its air before heading off. Don’t have a PLB yet, but by the sounds of it, the trails are easy to follow.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 12:47 pm

Baeng72 wrote:A list like this might be worth a look. I don't think you'll have snow or any of that, but it might remind you of gear you need to pack (like sleeping mats, don't go camping without a sleeping mat unless you're really into being uncomfortable, or *&%$#! tickets, or dry clothes for camping in).

For an overnighter, would you normally just pack a contintental pasta packet or something like that? Or something a little ‘fresher’?
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 1:02 pm

FNM wrote:

For an overnighter, would you normally just pack a contintental pasta packet or something like that? Or something a little ‘fresher’?

Yep, that would be fine for dinner for 1 night. Make sure it's a large one if there are 2 of you.
A stove, some water, and a pot and you got warm pasta.
(Don't forget snacks, breakfast - nice little porridge sachets in supermarkets if you don't have any ready, electrolytes if you cramp).

Is your mat insulated? You can lose heat to the ground and wake up cold even with a decent bag/quilt if mat not insulated.
I use Klymit static V, and If I don't take something like a cheap K-mart eva mat to put between the ground and the sleeping mat, it gets cold early morning..

Apologies if I'm pointing out the obvious, not sure of your experience, so ignore what doesn't apply.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FNM » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 1:17 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
FNM wrote:

Yep, that would be fine for dinner for 1 night. Make sure it's a large one if there are 2 of you.
A stove, some water, and a pot and you got warm pasta.
(Don't forget snacks, breakfast - nice little porridge sachets in supermarkets if you don't have any ready, electrolytes if you cramp).

Is your mat insulated? You can lose heat to the ground and wake up cold even with a decent bag/quilt if mat not insulated.
I use Klymit static V, and If I don't take something like a cheap K-mart eva mat to put between the ground and the sleeping mat, it gets cold early morning..

Apologies if I'm pointing out the obvious, not sure of your experience, so ignore what doesn't apply.

All good. Can always learn something new! I would say that my gear knowledge exceeds my experience at this point but I have done a few overnight hikes - Prom a couple of times, Bogong. Not frequent enough to have dialled in an ideal routine yet. I would say food is where I need to learn/hone in on what works for me. Have been to Grampians plenty of times (though not for a few years now), but yet to do an overnight hike. Love it out there. This will be the first night with a bunch of new gear - tent, pad, cooking system, pack .. Got myself pretty well setup now. Spent an outrageous amount of time deciding on each piece. Pad is R4.8 Exped - good to around -12 to -15. Have one of Mike’s quilts rated to -5, but feel it will take me a little further than that.
Last edited by FNM on Tue 28 Jul, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 1:24 pm

Cool, you're set then.
Grampians is one of my favorite spots, more challenging than the Prom (southern circuit) due to the terrain.
I've not done Bogong, but I imagine an overnight hike there would put most of the Grampians trails to shame.
Have a great one.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tino B » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 7:00 pm

Just looked at some of my recorded tracks doing Briggs Bluff and getting to summit camp. It’s about 16km - time’s vary from just over 4 hours solo and in a hurry to 7.5 when I went with a mate and we stopped a lot for coffee and watched the wedgies around Briggs Bluff.

Just before the summit site, you will be walking straight uphill over striations of rock, then up a large slab and through a gap in the ridge line. It drops down into a flat bottomed gully between the ridge you just crossed and the rocky slope on the east side of difficult. The summit camp is basically straight ahead. Parks may have tossed some branches to disguise it. If you head along the track to the north, there’s a sandy campsite adjacent to the track. If there is a southerly, the first campsite can get a little windy, the second one is a little more sheltered.

There is a creek a little north of the camp along the track, but flow there is usually negligible. Make sure you collect water at LPW tank or the spring that crosses the track just before LPW.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 9:04 pm

Tino B wrote:Just looked at some of my recorded tracks doing Briggs Bluff and getting to summit camp. It’s about 16km - time’s vary from just over 4 hours solo and in a hurry to 7.5 when I went with a mate and we stopped a lot for coffee and watched the wedgies around Briggs Bluff.

Just before the summit site, you will be walking straight uphill over striations of rock, then up a large slab and through a gap in the ridge line. It drops down into a flat bottomed gully between the ridge you just crossed and the rocky slope on the east side of difficult. The summit camp is basically straight ahead. Parks may have tossed some branches to disguise it. If you head along the track to the north, there’s a sandy campsite adjacent to the track. If there is a southerly, the first campsite can get a little windy, the second one is a little more sheltered.

There is a creek a little north of the camp along the track, but flow there is usually negligible. Make sure you collect water at LPW tank or the spring that crosses the track just before LPW.

Great! Thanks. Have that location description noted! We're probably going to head over tomorrow. Think we might spend tomorrow night in HG or somewhere close-by and then do the hike Thursday/Friday. Back in time to watch the mighty Baggers on Fri night :D Can't wait for the hike!
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 5:51 pm

Well, I did the hike with my brother and it was incredible! We didn't see anyone else on the track doing the overnighter and were the only people at the campsite.

The Good:

- The scenery
- The terrain - good mix of track, climbs, scrambling
- Our new packs (Granite Gear Blaze 60) and pads (Exped 3D 7 LW) were awesome!!
- I drank the water from the streams that are crossed between Long Point East and Long Point West unfiltered/untreated and had no issues... I did wait until Day 2 though, just in case.
- Amazing hiking weather. Doesn't get much better than sunny winter days.
- Mike's quilt kept me toasty, in combo with the Exped pad R-4.8. I had the quilt made to -5. Wore my thermals, socks and beanie and had one of my better sleeps (I often don't sleep well when camping). I would guess the temp was around 0 to -2.

The Bad:

- We set off later than we would have liked on the first day, but that's pretty typical for us. Meant we had to skip Briggs Bluff (intended to do on return) and also meant we couldn't reach Mt Difficult campsite for sunset/sunrise. We called it a day when light was fading as we arrived at Long Point West.
- Knees started playing up in the last hour or so of day 1 (about 5hrs walking)
- We set off later than we would have liked on Day 2 (like I said - typical!). This time it was largely due to the heavy moisture on the tents. We also misjudged (significantly) how long Day 2 would take. Meant we were charging, as much as my knees would allow, to get back in time for the footy! Also meant we missed Briggs Bluff (my knees wouldn't have allowed anyway), but we did manage to see a few eagles, which was cool.

The Ugly:

- Had a mare with my 2p Dan Durston X-mid. First time using trekking pole tent. Set it up ok, not great (bit saggy) - light was fading, we were pretty stuffed and ground wasn't level. Had a look again before bed, contemplated fixing it up but it was so still and clear that I took the easy option of 'she'll be right'. Forgot about the moisture in the air risk and it was very wet by morning. Tent was dripping in various spots where fly was touching inner and where I accidentally touched fly. Also, not being familiar enough with the layout, and due to exposed rock beneath tent, I was forced to sleep with my head at the foot end. Combined with my poor effort erecting the tent, it meant my face was only a couple of inches from the inner and fly. Pillow got a little wet, but fortunately my face stayed dry. Have to admit, I was a little jealous of my brother with his One Planet Goondie and the simplicity of the freestanding tent without need for a groundsheet. Even more so in the morning when he was able to carry his into sunlight to dry off! Look forward to giving the X-mid another crack when we're allowed.

- My knees. Almost certain I have iliotibial band syndrome. Will visit a physio to be properly assessed, but was a very painful Day 2, especially on the downhill. Was grateful for my trekking pole tent, at this point. Very frustrating. Had it when I did Bogong and then when doing The Chief near Whistler. This was final confirmation so will have it assessed and then develop a management strategy.

---------------------------------

None of the bad or ugly could detract from how awesome the hike was. Thanks to the advice on the site we were able to take the 'old' route up and the new route back. Initially we did miss the old route, but thanks to Gaia app (other advice for maps app), we noticed when we were only a couple of hundred metres past the junction so we were able to turn back. A couple of times we drifted off the trail briefly, but were able to backtrack. Only once it took us a few mins to figure out where we were - pesky arrow.

Long Point East is a very small site - 2/3 tents - but would be an awesome spot to stop (no facilities). If in need of water, could take the easy fire trail towards Long Point West and fill up at one of the streams before heading back. Probably be a 25-30min round trip? Long Point West has the benefit of a drop toilet. Was also a fine spot to stop.

The hike was stunning. I have read a few people say that it shouldn't be graded as difficult. I think there are enough challenging sections for it to be graded difficult. If you had little fitness behind you, it would be a real challenge.

Edit: Something I think worth noting is that there are quite a lot of prickly plants - I have no knowledge of plants, so can't even try and guess. My brother was walking in shorts and ended up with lots of scratches over his legs. We both got little pricks in our hands as well. I'd probably wear pants next time.
Last edited by FNM on Tue 04 Aug, 2020 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 7:50 pm

Sounds like a great trip. There's a link somewhere in the x-mid thread to a video showing how to use a simple fold to judge a good corner when pitching. I had a similar experience, by time I got to Longpoint West I'd had enough. Briggs is great, worth heading back to see it another time if you can as you could daywalk it.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 9:11 pm

Hey, sounds like a great hike!
Glad it worked out for you.

I've had similar problems with my trekking pole tent (Lanshan 2) recently at Stockyard camp.
In my case, I forgot you peg out the fly, and make that taught. I pegged out the inner , and tried to make the fly fit. It didn't work....Lot's of condensation dripping on quilts and stuff early morning when the temp was near zero.
That might not be the case with the Dan Durston tent (I've thought of buying that off Drop, but since I've already got the Lanshan...)
Can I ask what is a 'Mike's quilt'?

If you had little fitness behind you, it would be a real challenge and/or you're a porker, cough, cough.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FNM » Tue 04 Aug, 2020 12:06 am

CraigVIC wrote:Sounds like a great trip. There's a link somewhere in the x-mid thread to a video showing how to use a simple fold to judge a good corner when pitching. I had a similar experience, by time I got to Longpoint West I'd had enough. Briggs is great, worth heading back to see it another time if you can as you could daywalk it.

Yeah, I should have taken that approach .. I think a combination of laziness with a dash of cockiness led me to do it by sight :D Even then I relied more on my brother being like 'looks square to me' ... Good to hear re Briggs. I can definitely see myself heading back to do it again!
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Tue 04 Aug, 2020 12:30 am

Baeng72 wrote:Hey, sounds like a great hike!
Glad it worked out for you.

I've had similar problems with my trekking pole tent (Lanshan 2) recently at Stockyard camp.
In my case, I forgot you peg out the fly, and make that taught. I pegged out the inner , and tried to make the fly fit. It didn't work....Lot's of condensation dripping on quilts and stuff early morning when the temp was near zero.
That might not be the case with the Dan Durston tent (I've thought of buying that off Drop, but since I've already got the Lanshan...)
Can I ask what is a 'Mike's quilt'?

If you had little fitness behind you, it would be a real challenge and/or you're a porker, cough, cough.

Yeah, it was! Thanks!

I think the tent is great and when I set it up properly (which I did when I got home to air it out), it was nice and taut and the fly wasn't sitting on the inner at all - like yours, the fly pegs out first. I've not been a hiking pole user (this hike was literally the first time I've used them and I only used on day 2 for fear of damaging them on day 1!). I think for anyone who uses hiking poles, hiking pole tents make a lot of sense. It'll take a few more hikes for me to figure out whether I will continue to use them or not. I did notice I had more of a spring in my step, especially heading uphill when I was using them and my brother said the same when he had a go. They also helped with my knees on day 2 but I'd like to think I can sort the knee issue out with the right exercises.

The space of the tent is great and I love that it was designed by Dan. It's interesting - I think I'd find it hard to use without a ground sheet and by the time you add the extra weight it does start creeping up fairly close to tents like the OP Goondie. That being said, it does have more internal and floor space than the Goondie, which is nice and largely why I opted for it.

'Mike's quilt' refers to undercling_mike - one of the forum members who makes custom quilts. I got mine a while back but have only had a couple of chances to use it and Grampians was the first time I've used it with a good quality pad. It's rad - I'm a big fan and Mike was/is very good to deal with as well :)
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 04 Aug, 2020 9:23 am

Does the Dan Durston tent come with a separable bath-tub floor? Is that what you mean by a ground sheet, or is it an extra piece that you put down first?
I have an extra rectangle of plastic for the Lanshan, which only weighs a few hundred grams, to protect the floor of the inner tent. But I keep forgetting to pack it. :)

I've made a few quilts. The first one, I totally over did the baffle size, and it ended up taking over 2 pounds of down to over stuff. It weighs about 1.6kg, leaks the odd bit of fluff because I used ripstop from Spotlight, but it works a treat.
It was meant to replace my 1.6kg synthetic bag, but I've never used it camping. My son forces me to carry it for him. (He's just turned 10, so I can't have him carrying all his gear) and then he uses it at night. When we did the Overland last year, I couldn't fit it in my bag so had it hanging from the front strap of my pack, from a simple mesh bag I made for the purpose and some wag said I looked like an old guy heading to market, instead of a hiker doing the overland with all the stuff I had hanging off. But it worked.

I've made a new quilt, weighs about 650 grams with 1 pound of down in it. Used carded nylon, so no fluff leakage. It's a bit understuffed, because I didn't taper it to a foot box, but I used it down at stockyard, and it was OK. As I alluded to previously, I don't have an insulated sleeping mat, so that was more of an issue than the quilt.

Anyway, I'm waffling. Glad you had a good hike.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FNM » Tue 04 Aug, 2020 11:08 am

Baeng72 wrote:Does the Dan Durston tent come with a separable bath-tub floor? Is that what you mean by a ground sheet, or is it an extra piece that you put down first?
I have an extra rectangle of plastic for the Lanshan, which only weighs a few hundred grams, to protect the floor of the inner tent. But I keep forgetting to pack it. :)

I've made a few quilts. The first one, I totally over did the baffle size, and it ended up taking over 2 pounds of down to over stuff. It weighs about 1.6kg, leaks the odd bit of fluff because I used ripstop from Spotlight, but it works a treat.
It was meant to replace my 1.6kg synthetic bag, but I've never used it camping. My son forces me to carry it for him. (He's just turned 10, so I can't have him carrying all his gear) and then he uses it at night. When we did the Overland last year, I couldn't fit it in my bag so had it hanging from the front strap of my pack, from a simple mesh bag I made for the purpose and some wag said I looked like an old guy heading to market, instead of a hiker doing the overland with all the stuff I had hanging off. But it worked.

I've made a new quilt, weighs about 650 grams with 1 pound of down in it. Used carded nylon, so no fluff leakage. It's a bit understuffed, because I didn't taper it to a foot box, but I used it down at stockyard, and it was OK. As I alluded to previously, I don't have an insulated sleeping mat, so that was more of an issue than the quilt.

Anyway, I'm waffling. Glad you had a good hike.

Re DD tent, nah, I carried an old ground sheet that just happened to be about the right size for the tent floor. It was a groundsheet I picked up in NZ when I took a Sierra Designs Flash 2 over there a couple of years ago. It's not a lightweight piece at all - quite a heavy duty thing actually. Haven't weighed it yet - will do that today. The Xmid has a 20D Poly floor and I can't see myself taking it out too often without the added protection of a groundsheet. Maybe in warmer weather, when I know I'll be on a soft surface. The risk of puncturing my sleeping pad seems too great to me to head out into cold weather without the groundsheet (for safety reasons). I am considering cutting a piece down to just beyond the size of the pad and having it under the pad inside the tent, instead of an entire ground sheet covering. I think to be willing to go truly UL, you have to be prepared to tolerate things like damaging your tent, pack etc - I struggle to come to terms with that from a environmental/conservation point of view and also a financial point of view. Another angle, is that you could tolerate less comfort for UL without necessarily having the gear (and environmental) degradation - eg, foam sleeping pad, frameless pack, tarp etc - something I might consider for warm weather adventures.... Now I'm waffling :lol:

Nice work with the quilts! Can't be an easy task. That 2-pound of down one must be very warm!! I think mine comes in around 600-650g. It's tapered to the foot box. It feels feather light when compared to my brother's old Mountain Designs bag (think it's around that 1.6-1.7kg mark as well). I was pretty surprised, despite knowing the specs, at how comfortable the insulated pad from Exped was. I spent an outrageous amount of time researching my gear (and testing the pads) before buying and the Exped pads came out on top. I opted for a heavier Exped pad though (tougher material) - comes in at 980g. Down the track will likely buy an UL version for warmer months. Anyway, after first using the quilt with an uncomfortable and not well insulated pad, I wasn't completely sold on it (even though I'm sure the experience would have been no different with a bag). Having used it now with a quality pad, couldn't be happier.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 17 Aug, 2020 2:26 pm

We may not be allowed out to the Grampians until November 2019 . IMHO that is too hot for hiking in the Grampians. The rocky surfaces soak up the heat of the sun and radiate it straight back at you. October 2019 was becoming rather warm in the sun when I walked the reopened Stapleton circuit.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 17 Aug, 2020 4:17 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:We may not be allowed out to the Grampians until November 2019 . IMHO that is too hot for hiking in the Grampians. The rocky surfaces soak up the heat of the sun and radiate it straight back at you. October 2019 was becoming rather warm in the sun when I walked the reopened Stapleton circuit.

Stage 4 will go at least until 13th of September.
It's have to be low for at least 4 weeks before lifting stage 3, which probably means mid-October, and that's optimistic.
I think you're correct.
I wanted to do a warm up in the Grampians before it got hot, then a couple of hikes in the High Country before high Bushfire danger.
The dry lightning kicked off fires around the Bluff and other places in the High Country just after Christmas if I remember, so very narrow window do much this year there.
And that's assuming we're even out of lockdown.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 9:32 pm

Surfing is safe in terms of bushfire risk and the sea is always there. I have never seen a shark while out on the board. The Ocean is a great source of contact and interaction with nature.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Lamont » Fri 28 Aug, 2020 8:42 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:.....I have never seen a shark while out on the board.

Got to get out more.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 28 Aug, 2020 8:58 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Surfing is safe in terms of bushfire risk and the sea is always there. I have never seen a shark while out on the board. The Ocean is a great source of contact and interaction with nature.

I'm sure a shark has seen you, probably thought 'not seal' and continued on its sharky way.
I have balance issues, I'm not exacly nimble. I'm not going to learn surfing, though I really would have liked to back in the day.
Besides, I run the risk that Greenpeace would see me and think a cetacean has gotten wrapped up in neoprene and push me back in every time I tried to exit the surface.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria