Wilson's Prom Grand Circuit

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wilson's Prom Grand Circuit

Postby Same » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 8:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip down to the prom in the coming weeks to hike the Grand Circuit, hopefully, the 2nd or 3rd week of June. Some resources call this the southern circuit, others have the southern circuit cut out the Oberon bay section of the loop, I mean to do the entire loop.

I wanted people's opinion on the best route for a 3-day trip. I really want to make it down to South Point as well as complete the whole loop.

My current plan is
Day 1: Tidal river to Refuge Cove 20kms
Day 2: Refuge cove to Roaring Meg 24.2kms
Day 3: Roaring Meg to Tidal river 15.6km + 7.6km return track for South Point

Depending on how fast I walk on day 2, I might set up camp and then head to south point that afternoon

Does this seem reasonable? I'm pretty fit so kms shouldn't be an issue, just potentially time with the shorter days.

Let me know what you think
Same
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Wilson's Prom Grand Circuit

Postby Lamont » Tue 02 Jun, 2020 4:21 pm

If it's open-
You'd do it pretty easy just set off early each day, were I you I would be up at six, couple of cuppas while you wake and pack up and and gone by near light-walk for an hour then breaky-so that if you want to stop later and have a look at something-you have time. Plus each of the camp areas have a nice beach nearby so a look around at the end of each day with a sherbet or cuppa is really great.
:D
Last edited by Lamont on Sat 06 Jun, 2020 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 6:51 am

Whatever your ideal walking distance/speed is you'll be able to achieve it at the Prom. It's spectacular and enjoyable but there are no difficulties in route finding, rough tracks or anything like that. Just keep in mind that the tides can mess up your plans depending on your appetite for getting wet as you need to cross the inlet at Sealers.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 07 Jun, 2020 10:15 am

It can be quite cold , wet , windy and leech infested so be prepared. The winter months are not so busy there so that is a plus. Take extra head torch batteries and a book to read in your tent. It becomes dark quite early in June.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Tino B » Tue 09 Jun, 2020 10:25 pm

I did the same walk on Queens Birthday 2019. Refuge to Roaring Meg has the lighthouse on the way, so if you want to get out to south point, make an early start. Camp away from the creek at Roaring Meg.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria