Where to walk?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Where to walk?

Postby J M » Sun 31 May, 2020 1:33 am

After being cooped up for what feels like forever, I'm hanging out for a few nights out walking next weekend (weather dependent).

Given that every man and his dog will be out for the long weekend, I'd prefer to head somewhere a bit more remote. I'd like to head up to the Alps before the snow really settles, but it seems like half the park is closed following the fires. Anyone have any good recommendations for a 2-3 night stroll that's open at the moment? A lot is closed - see https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/get-into-n ... cted-parks for an overview.

Alternatively, I haven't been to Grampians for a while and have been eyeing off the fortress and Mt Thackery. However, it looks like the normal access is closed (Harrop's Track) and approaching from the other side looks like a long drive and a short walk...so this might be better left for Spring? Mt Mitchell is also closed, and I've had a couple of walks around Mt stapylton and difficult not too long ago.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Circuits are preferable, as it'll only be me. Thanks in advance!
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Where to walk?

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 31 May, 2020 9:05 am

Castlemaine to Bendigo via the Goldfields Track is a nice 3-dayer.
Leave your car at Castlemaine train station, walk to Bendigo train station then catch the train back to your car.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Drew » Sun 31 May, 2020 9:51 am

I'd been eyeing off an Alps walk before winter set in but I think with the weather we've had (and the snow forecast for the next few days) that it'll be pretty slushy up there. Too much snow for walking but not enough for snowshoes. I'd planned to do something involving Helicopter Spur and Mt Clear area, which is open.

At the moment I'm planning to get to the Grampians during the week for a Mt Difficult overnighter.

North Prom could be an option but I daresay the water levels in the swamp will be high and cold!
Drew

Postby J M » Sun 31 May, 2020 12:03 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:Castlemaine to Bendigo via the Goldfields Track is a nice 3-dayer.

I grew up just out of Bendigo and have spent plenty of time on these tracks. For some reason the thought of an overnighter here has never appealed to me - but thanks for the suggestion! They are actually quite nice.

Drew wrote:I'd been eyeing off an Alps walk before winter set in but I think with the weather we've had (and the snow forecast for the next few days) that it'll be pretty slushy up there.

Yep, I'm a bit worried if I head up I'll be post-holing through slush. I've never tackled Helicopter spur though, maybe if the weather forecast improves this could be the time. Otherwise I might try and make a loop somewhere in the Grampians.
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria