Waterfalls of Victoria

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Waterfalls of Victoria

Postby WillKendrick » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 6:25 am

I know there's a thread for this in the gallery section, but I thought it would be beneficial to start one here to discuss routes and waterfalls without needing to include pictures.
WillKendrick
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Waterfalls of Victoria

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 07 Feb, 2020 5:50 pm

I was planning to try walking into Howell's falls on Little Buffalo ck, Mt Buffalo sometime in the next few months. It seems near the edge of the burnt zone, does anyone know if the fires went over that area?
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 11 Feb, 2020 11:35 pm

Spring is best for waterfalls. I went to see some falls in Autumn one year out in the far NE of VIC. not far from McKillop's bridge. They were bone dry. I have forgotten their name but there is a big gorge nearby.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Biggles » Sat 15 Feb, 2020 7:02 pm

I have returned last week from a long roundabout journey to Burrowa-Pine Mountain National Park hoping to see Bluff Falls (aka Cudgewa Bluff Falls), but they're nowt but a gossamer trickle despite the rain. Along the way I saw the devasation of Cudgewa and Walwa, both towns just about obliterated in the bushfires. Walwa fared a little better, but not so Cudgewa. :(

This remote NP is in an area that does not see much rain, nor it is particularly energised by Spring snowmelt on e.g. Pine Mountain; I've been in winter and spring, and winter was only marginally better than Spring, depending on sustained rainfall. But when the falls are flowing, they look as reasonable as these [pic]; this is not the best flow, but it is "workable". I made this image straddling two granite rocks with a very deep chasm dropping away under my legs! This is the only major waterfall attraction in this National Park. Other than that, it's a lengthy and energetic walk to Pine Mountain (ideal camp in the longer summer daylight hours).
Attachments
Bluff Falls in Blue.png
Bluff Falls in Blue, Burrowa-Pine Mountain National Park, NE Victoria
Bluff Falls in Blue.png (991.9 KiB) Viewed 10598 times
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WillKendrick » Wed 11 Mar, 2020 4:04 pm

Took advantage of the long weekend with a trip down to the Cumberland River in the Otways. Not the greatest amount of water, but it was still nice to photograph the Amphitheatre Falls/Cascades 'trifecta'.

FullUpperAmp.jpg
Upper Amphitheatre Falls

UpperAmphitheatrePort.jpg
Upper Amphitheatre Falls

LowerAmpPort.jpg
Lower Amphitheatre Falls

AmphitheatreCascades.jpg
Amphitheatre Cascades
WillKendrick
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ash321 » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 11:45 am

I went to the Cumberland River for the first time in September 2018 and managed to reach Alambee Beek Falls. Got a little mixed up with the ribbons and couldn't find Staircase Falls, but Beek was really nice.

2018_0929_15124500 (1).jpg
Ash321
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 6:28 pm

Very nice ash321. There was a fallen tree obscuring the track to staircase at one stage but the track was reestablished when I was there last.
CraigVIC

Return to Victoria