Ongoing Alpine NP closures

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ongoing Alpine NP closures

Postby Xastorm » Mon 03 Feb, 2020 8:22 pm

Was looking at going out to the Crosscut this weekend but from the Parks website it looks like most of the Alpine NP is still closed.
Can anyone confirm this for me?
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Ongoing Alpine NP closures

Postby neilmny » Tue 04 Feb, 2020 4:23 am

neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 04 Feb, 2020 4:53 am

The fire in the Bluff region has only recently been marked on Vic Emergency as out (no longer showing under control fire icon) but more importantly the big Fire at '8km Ese of Abbeyard' (not too far north of Mt. Spec) is still marked as out of control.
I don't think Parks will do anything towards opening the Moroka-Wonangatta section of the Alpine NP until the fires are out, and they've had a chance to inspect.
Luckily the fires haven't touched the Crosscut and pretty much whole section from Mt. Howitt to Viking is untouched (small fire at Catherine saddle didn't spread).
On the plus side, with the rain we've been having, might still be water into Autumn when I suspect it will open...
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xastorm » Tue 04 Feb, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanks both, I was hoping I was misreading the website but I also understand why they’ve got far greater priorities than reopening that area. The map was really helpful at giving a grand overview of the closed areas, thanks.
Bogong it shall be!
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Xplora » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 5:16 am

Baeng72 wrote:The fire in the Bluff region has only recently been marked on Vic Emergency as out (no longer showing under control fire icon) but more importantly the big Fire at '8km Ese of Abbeyard' (not too far north of Mt. Spec) is still marked as out of control.

This may seem a little pedantic to some but there is a great deal of difference between a fire that is out of control and one that is not yet under control. The former suggests a fire that is still raging and the later is a broader term used to describe a going fire and a fire which still has potential to cause more damage but not actually going.
In the fire mentioned, there is very little fire activity but a few hotspots remained which require blacking out. These hotspots are not big enough to be picked up by satellites such as these https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ma ... ms_modis_t

The fire just south of us has only now been listed as contained but has not been burning for more than a week. Until then it was not yet under control. When a fire is out it will be listed as safe but contained still requires attention. Infra red aerial scanning is being used to pick up potential hotspots and crews are being sent to areas to deal with potential burning trees. The scanning is very sensitive and a crew was sent out to a decomposing cow carcass. That was a first for them.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 7:12 pm

Xplora wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:The fire in the Bluff region has only recently been marked on Vic Emergency as out (no longer showing under control fire icon) but more importantly the big Fire at '8km Ese of Abbeyard' (not too far north of Mt. Spec) is still marked as out of control.

This may seem a little pedantic to some but there is a great deal of difference between a fire that is out of control and one that is not yet under control. The former suggests a fire that is still raging and the later is a broader term used to describe a going fire and a fire which still has potential to cause more damage but not actually going.
In the fire mentioned, there is very little fire activity but a few hotspots remained which require blacking out. These hotspots are not big enough to be picked up by satellites such as these https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ma ... ms_modis_t

The fire just south of us has only now been listed as contained but has not been burning for more than a week. Until then it was not yet under control. When a fire is out it will be listed as safe but contained still requires attention. Infra red aerial scanning is being used to pick up potential hotspots and crews are being sent to areas to deal with potential burning trees. The scanning is very sensitive and a crew was sent out to a decomposing cow carcass. That was a first for them.

Fair enough.
I thought it was a case tertium non datur (no third option, only under control and not under control i.e. out of control).
It's been marked as contained now I believe.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 5:48 am

Thanks for taking it in good spirits. I was not meaning to be picky or have a go. We have had some issues with people misinterpreting warnings and other information on the Emergency Vic site (which I find particularly useless with out of date, conflicting or irrelevant information). Had the head of a major government department use the out of control fire excuse just last week to cover up its inaction and incompetence. It seems you were not alone in your interpretation and clarification for everyone was needed. You get a different perspective when on the ground and fire burning half a klick from you.

Although many roads are now open throughout parts of the ANP, the parks themselves may still be closed to any activity so checking the area for updates before travelling is essential. Quite a large blanket thrown over the parks and state forests and much in non-affected areas or areas where fires are not even close.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 6:51 am

No worries.
The terminology is unclear to me in any case, so thanks.
I thought it was a grab bag of anything not under control and 'running' was a subclass of 'not under control' that designated a raging, moving fire.
You hear the head of Emergency Vic on TV saying something like 'this fire is running and we're very concerned' and others are just not under control/out of control, stationary, but could run with the wind/humidity/terrain.

Anyway, I don't expect them to let anybody who's not local in until it's out or safe, roads checked and all that, which is why I assume they've locked everything off.
Some idiot like myself might take the wrong turn and necessitate calling in stretched resources.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 9:29 am

Baeng72 wrote:Anyway, I don't expect them to let anybody who's not local in until it's out or safe, roads checked and all that, which is why I assume they've locked everything off. Some idiot like myself might take the wrong turn and necessitate calling in stretched resources.

I think what you are saying is spot on, apart from calling yourself and idiot. We have had a number of people, including locals, told that all activities in the park prohibited just now and asked to leave. We know there is absolutely no danger. Tourists may venture into dangerous areas without knowing but locals have a good idea. Can't have a rule from some and not others though, so we should also comply. BHP is likely to be closed for some time as there is a large area to the south east that has been affected. This area may not be as popular for the average walker but they are areas we visit and trees have to be inspected. This is happening now I believe but it could take a while. There may also be the odd hotspot pop up from a fire burning through the root system of a tree.

A run of storms this week from today could change everything again if they come without significant rain.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 4:32 am

It may not be too much longer for parts of the ANP to open. Currently there is an aerial deer cull and they are covering a large area of the ANP. Haven't seen or heard any choppers though but last time I could here the semi-auto let go. Weather has not been good for it with low cloud and storms. After the shoot then things should begin to open. I have been told that all the dangerous trees on BHP road have been sorted and the intention is to open on or before the Labor day weekend but if that happens then BHP road will close for most of the Sunday due to the Scody 3 Peaks challenge. I think it is still going ahead.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 21 Feb, 2020 11:20 am

Areas of the Alpine NP are opening now. BHP has some closures but much is open. BHP road appears to be open but Vic Roads have not updated its site yet. See here for more details https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/get-into-n ... cted-parks
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 21 Feb, 2020 11:59 am

Xplora wrote:Areas of the Alpine NP are opening now. BHP has some closures but much is open. BHP road appears to be open but Vic Roads have not updated its site yet. See here for more details https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/get-into-n ... cted-parks

I've been keeping an eye on the parts of the ANP near Mt. Howitt that are closed. Keep in mind I'm not a local, and thus ignorant and am probably as illogical as it gets, but why is the Wonangatta valley/ tracks leading to the valley, still closed off? The fires I noticed were near the Bluff and Abbeyard. The shooting program I saw mentioned was further north where the area was fire affected. I'm not able to head up to that area for a while, so I reckon it will open before I get there, just curious as to what's happening. Perhaps the only road to that area is being used by heavy equipment/ hunters out stalking or in helicopters (though it wouldn't be cleared by fire), or something else so they don't want a hoard of 4WDers and Hikers getting run over/mistaken for Sambar dear?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 22 Feb, 2020 4:24 am

I know the planned aerial shoot was originally over an extended area of the ANP which included the Howitt areas. Weather put a stop to that shoot so it starts again on the 24th. Howitt is way out of my area so I can't say what is going on there for sure. Could be some shooting that way. There is also a planned burn for some of the closed areas of BHP which is intended for Autumn this year so expect those areas around Kellys and Fitz's to be closed longer or again. Those areas are definitely in the aerial shoot program for next week. There will be some ground shooting at various times but they don't close the park for that. I have stopped posting info regarding it as most people should be aware enough now of the program.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 22 Feb, 2020 7:42 pm

The Vic emergency app had a community notice for the area up until a week or so ago which mentioned the shooting and area status, but then it disappeared, so bit of an information vacuum.
Anyway, thanks!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rog » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 7:54 pm

Is there any way to find out when the areas around Fitzgeralds and Kellys huts will be opened ? I'm looking at heading into that area around 4th of april.

Cheers, Rog.
Rog
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CaptainC » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 8:11 pm

On the Parks Vic site the latest update is
https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/get-into-n ... cted-parks
Areas that are now open in this precinct include:

Falls Creek Alpine Resort
Mount Bogong
Wallace’s Hut, Cope Hut, Blairs Hut, Tawonga Huts, Edmondson Hut, Rovers Chalet
The Alpine Walking Track across Mount Bogong and the Bogong High Plains to Mount Hotham
Cope West Aqueduct and Cope East Aqueduct
Langford West Aqueduct
Langford West Campground
Rocky Valley Storage
Pretty Valley Pondage
The Jaithmathangs
The Fainters
Heathy Spur
Mount Cope
Mount Bundara
Mount Jim
Mount Spione Kopje

Please note, the Bogong High Plains Road is open between Falls Creek and the Omeo Highway however, the park remains closed on either side of the road between Langford West Campground and the Omeo Highway.

Areas that remain closed in this precinct include:

Kelly Hut, Fitzgerald Hut, Johnson’s Hut
Mount Nelse
Langford East Aqueduct
Ryder’s Yards
Kelly’s Track
The Lanes
Track 107

So that's a lot more open in the last few days and I think the chances of Kelly's Fitzgeralds being open by April would be pretty good. You could try ringing the Parks Vic number and asking for the Mt Beauty office to see if they have an idea when it will be open.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 26 Feb, 2020 6:10 am

There is an aerial deer control near Fitz's hut this week so that is why it is closed now and as mentioned, there is a burn planned in Autumn but it has been on the books for a number of years. I suspect they will take advantage of the work done during the fires in the area and burn it this year. I will be given advice directly when that is to occur and will forward on.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 28 Feb, 2020 11:37 am

Looks like Fitzgerald Hut in Bogong area might be open now.
The following tracks and visitor areas within the Bogong High Plains section of the Alpine National Park are closed:

Young Hut, McNamara Huts
Young’s Tops
Young’s Walking Track
Ryders Yards
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gmac » Mon 02 Mar, 2020 6:23 am

Walking into Ropers on the weekend and spoke with the Ranger who was out checking to make sure that the closed signs that were in place along the Big River Trail had all come down. Not sure about the Young's area.
Was a perfect weekend for walking to Ropers mild overnight, the wind came up over night but was fine. Water availability was good although I reckon it's the lowest I have seen the creek but plenty coming over the small falls section.
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 04 Mar, 2020 3:05 pm

Baeng72 wrote:Looks like Fitzgerald Hut in Bogong area might be open now.
The following tracks and visitor areas within the Bogong High Plains section of the Alpine National Park are closed:

Young Hut, McNamara Huts
Young’s Tops
Young’s Walking Track
Ryders Yards

That is the area I wanted to walk in during January 2020 but I think it will have to wait until Autumn next year.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 04 Mar, 2020 3:49 pm

Looks like the Mt Howitt area is being opened up.
Access to the Wonnangatta valley from the south (Zeka, etc) is now open.
From what I can gather AAWT is Open from the South up to Mt. Speculation, closed North from there (Viking, maybe Barry Saddle) which would make sense with fires in Abbeyard and Hotham Heights areas.

Anyway, I've come down with an inner ear infection, so no hiking this long weekend, and probably none until my balance heals and hearing recovers. Might be a few weeks or months until I get back out there.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 04 Mar, 2020 8:30 pm

The March long weekend is often too busy to be pleasant in most outdoors locations.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 04 Mar, 2020 9:14 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The March long weekend is often too busy to be pleasant in most outdoors locations.

Probably, just hanging out for a bit of hike.
Having put away the pack during bushfire season, and booked a few nights for this weekend at the Prom, but not to be.
It's all good.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby scroggin » Wed 11 Mar, 2020 7:54 pm

Was at Kelly's and Fitzgerald's huts on the weekend. All open as well as Mount Cope. Couldn't see the fire scar south of Mount Cope due to fog, but beautiful weather on the Mountain and to the north when we were up there Monday morning.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 18 Mar, 2020 10:08 am

I am looking at heading up to the Upper Howqua campsite on Friday March 27th and hiking up Stanley name spur and returning via The Howitt spur. I have left a message with the Ranger in Mansfield to find out if the road and foot access are open out that way. I need to get away from the city. The vibes are turning bad man.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Thu 19 Mar, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 18 Mar, 2020 11:09 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I am looking at heading up to the Upper Howqua campsite on Friday March 20th and hiking up Stanley name spur and returning via The Howitt spur. I have left a message with the Ranger in Mansfield to find out if the road and foot access are open out that way. I need to get away from the city. The vibes are turning bad man.

I spoke with a ranger on the phone a few days ago.
Asked him About Feathertop/Razorback and Razor Viking area.
He said Mt. Howitt, Crosscut Saw and Speculation are open.
Said he'd talk with other rangers about opening up past Spec. to Viking as it wasn't burnt.
I didn't ask about coming from the Mansfield side of Howitt.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Wed 18 Mar, 2020 1:38 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I am looking at heading up to the Upper Howqua campsite on Friday March 20th and hiking up Stanley name spur and returning via The Howitt spur. I have left a message with the Ranger in Mansfield to find out if the road and foot access are open out that way. I need to get away from the city. The vibes are turning bad man.

I think you have to go in via the Howqua Track, Brocks Road and Bluff Link PCV. Bindaree Road was still closed at Circuit Road last time I looked.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 19 Mar, 2020 7:13 pm

I rang Nigel watts at Mansfield Parks Vic. He told me The Circuit road, Bindaree road , Upper Howqua camp site, Mt. Howitt and Mac. Springs are now all open and so too is access to Mt. No. 3 refuge hut coming in from The Circuit road and the Razorback Huts. I have planned 3 days out there doing stuff outdoors quite soon.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 19 Mar, 2020 9:42 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I rang Nigel watts at Mansfield Parks Vic. He told me The Circuit road, Bindaree road , Upper Howqua camp site, Mt. Howitt and Mac. Springs are now all open and so too is access to Mt. No. 3 refuge hut coming in from The Circuit road and the Razorback Huts. I have planned 3 days out there doing stuff outdoors quite soon.

Looking forward to your trip report.
I'm planning on heading that way Easter weekend (hence the question about what weekend the track clearing was near Stronach's camp).

See if you can guess where I intend to hike this weekend if things pan out:
hike.JPG
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Fri 20 Mar, 2020 10:36 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I rang Nigel watts at Mansfield Parks Vic. He told me The Circuit road, Bindaree road , Upper Howqua camp site, Mt. Howitt and Mac. Springs are now all open and so too is access to Mt. No. 3 refuge hut coming in from The Circuit road and the Razorback Huts. I have planned 3 days out there doing stuff outdoors quite soon.

I was up there yesterday. Beware the trucks with dog trailers that a thumping up and down from Merimbah.
They must be carting fill for road repairs into the Bindaree area. They take a lot of road and they are *&%$#! big.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Victoria