Grampians

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Grampians

Postby slparker » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 10:59 am

Hi,
I am heading to the Grampians with a group at the end of Oct doing the Grampians peak trail..
I can't get into Bugiga campsite on the first night with the rest of the group (it is booked out). Are there any nearby campsites, not part of the 'official' walk where I could erect a shelter close to Bugiga campsite?

cheers
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Grampians

Postby neilmny » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 11:17 am

It seems you are going there on the Melbourne Cup weekend or is it the weekend before?
The whole region will be absolutely chockers if it is Melbourne Cup weekend!
Stony Creek Group Camping Area (Hiking groups of 10 to 16 people) is the only one nearby but it is for school and large groups but what the heck?
https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/park ... campground
Wack your the date you need into this https://www.parkstay.vic.gov.au/grampians-national-park

You might have to share a tent if one of your crew is solo.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 7:17 pm

The Hike in camp sites in the general Mt. Difficult area have their appeal and there should be water not far from those official hike in campsites.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby neilmny » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 8:09 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The Hike in camp sites in the general Mt. Difficult area have their appeal and there should be water not far from those official hike in campsites.

The OP is looking for something near Bugiga PCV. Mt Difficult is a long way from there, Halls Gap is closer.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 9:36 pm

neilmny wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The Hike in camp sites in the general Mt. Difficult area have their appeal and there should be water not far from those official hike in campsites.

The OP is looking for something near Bugiga. Mt Difficult is a long way from there. Halls Gap is closer.

1. Yes.
2. Quite.
3. Yes.

So the options include:

1. Stay at home.
2. Go somewhere else.
3. Stealth camp. E.g. Rosea carpark after dark. Ain't nobody around.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 6:03 am

Was water in rivulets crossing the track last weekend when I was at Mt. Difficult, and obviously Beehive falls.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 8:05 am

So the options include:

"1. Stay at home."
"2. Go somewhere else."
"3. Stealth camp. E.g. Rosea carpark after dark. Ain't nobody around."

4. Share a tent.

Option 3 looks "interesting" if you can find a flat clearish spot............but I would not condone breaking the rules. :roll:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 8:37 am

Thanks all.
I booked stony creek campsite which is 3 kms further on but could prob share a site at bugiga if i take my 3 man.
Cheers
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 9:13 am

neilmny wrote:............but I would not condone breaking the rules. :roll:

That's fine in theory. I'd generally be in total agreement. But in this case, we're being forced to camp at an ugly site that was intended for vehicle access, not walkers. So I hope slparker can squeeze into Bugiga. (It at least has good views, although I wouldn't choose it myself due to the large number of people it can accommodate.)
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Tue 05 Nov, 2019 2:57 pm

Ended up staying at Bugiga on a flattish spot because I couldn't erect my trekking pole tent on a platform very easily. The Mt Rosea skyline traverse the next day was sensational - we had gale force winds and sleet but it was a very atmospheric walk. The clambering around the rock formations and tunnels and the odd pat hes of rainforest species was just brilliant - i had no idea that the walk was that good.

looking forward now to going back and trying other walks out there - it is a magnificent mountain range.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 05 Nov, 2019 5:07 pm

The Mt. Rosea loop as a return walk using the Burma Fireline track as a way to get back to the Mt. Rosea car park is an excellent day walk. This will be more enjoyable if you get clear sunny autumn or spring weather.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 08 Nov, 2019 9:32 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The Mt. Rosea loop as a return walk using the Burma Fireline track as a way to get back to the Mt. Rosea car park is an excellent day walk. This will be more enjoyable if you get clear sunny autumn or spring weather.

I've done this walk in howling wind and rain in June. I think I'll do it again as part of the Grampians Peaks trail in the future, hopefully with clear spring or autumn weather so I can see the view.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria