Mount Difficult

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount Difficult

Postby Tino B » Fri 06 Sep, 2019 11:24 am

Mt Difficult is a wonderful overnight walk. I usually do it clockwise and go out to Briggs Bluff as a side trip. The climb after Beehive Falls and the section from Longpoint West up to the base Mt Difficult would be good practice for the climb to Marions.

There's a new section after the Beehive falls climb that goes straight on - part of the new Grampians trails circuit - but I usually turn left and take the old route up onto the plateau section as this gives fantastic views of Mt Difficult. There's a beautiful little rocky creek before Longpoint East that makes a great spot to stop for lunch.

The campsites at Longpoint East and West aren't that great, so I usually camp in the closed campsite at the top, just below the summit of Mt Difficult. This site means you can get a great sunset on Difficult and climb a small ridge from the camp for sunrise too. Another option is to go dispersed camping in one of the rocky gullies around the summit. Lemme know if you want some more detail.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Major Mitchell Plateau

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 06 Sep, 2019 3:28 pm

Tino B wrote:Mt Difficult is a wonderful overnight walk. I usually do it clockwise and go out to Briggs Bluff as a side trip. The climb after Beehive Falls and the section from Longpoint West up to the base Mt Difficult would be good practice for the climb to Marions.

There's a new section after the Beehive falls climb that goes straight on - part of the new Grampians trails circuit - but I usually turn left and take the old route up onto the plateau section as this gives fantastic views of Mt Difficult. There's a beautiful little rocky creek before Longpoint East that makes a great spot to stop for lunch.

The campsites at Longpoint East and West aren't that great, so I usually camp in the closed campsite at the top, just below the summit of Mt Difficult. This site means you can get a great sunset on Difficult and climb a small ridge from the camp for sunrise too. Another option is to go dispersed camping in one of the rocky gullies around the summit. Lemme know if you want some more detail.

Thanks for you reply.

I'd read Mt Difficult was closed for Grampians Peaks Trail track work so haven't given it much thought.

Is dispersed camping allowed in the Grampians (or do you just do it and gamble a ranger isn't gonna be hanging out on top of a hill at dusk)?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Mount Difficult

Postby Tino B » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 11:45 am

The first image is taken from https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... -guide.pdf on 8-9-2019. It clearly shows that Mt Difficult is not within a hatched area - the hatched sections denote areas where dispersed camping is not allowed. When I camp near the Mt Difficult summit, I practice leave no trace principles.

This link (taken from https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/site-search? ... +difficult) has a QR code that you can use to scan into your phone to get a parkweb map of the walk to use with Avenza Maps app: https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... ng-Map.pdf

There is some track work near the summit and the first section of day 2 back to Beehive Falls in a clockwise direction after leaving the summit. The second image shows the first section of the walk. The new track starts after the Beehive Falls climb and the junction with the old track is circled in red. This route (marked in blue) takes you below an escarpment that you follow and then double back to climb a significant amount of new stone stairs to reach the plateau where you join the old track. This new section isn't bad but does not give you the impressive views of Briggs Bluff and Mt Difficult that the original track does. I would try the old route on the day 1 (green) and the new route on Day 2. If there has been rain, there's a little rock pool you will come across with a good view back to Mt Difficult.

There is a spring just before Longpoint West that is on the fire trail that should have a good flow this time of year and is the only water before Mt Difficult summit.

Grampians-NP-visitor-guide.jpg
Grampians-NP-visitor-guide.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 19061 times

InkedImage-1_LI.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks for the information!
I'd read on this site, that dispersed camping, even in the hatched area was not allowed in Northern Grampians. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=27179
I've downloaded the Avenza map you mentioned, plus GetLost Green Valley south and Grampians North maps which cover the same area.

If I understand it the route is: Park at Beehive carpark (near Roses Gap), walk to Behive falls, drag butt up to plateau. Walk clockwise (heading south on Mt. Difficult range), then turn towards Mt Difficult, past the Longpoint campsites, and up to Mt. Difficult, camping near track junction. Next day head back to point where first ascended to plateau, down to Beehive falls via new track, then back to car?

Thanks again.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tino B » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 10:57 am

First linked PDF states near bottom of second column on first page dispersed camping is not allowed in hatched area - the info on the forum post you linked is not correct, although dispersed camping is restricted in many parts of the Grampians, it is allowed in non-hatched areas.

The second linked PDF shows the old route. Yes, gentle walk to Beehive Falls, then steepish but fun ascent for a few hundred metres, some more up and down until you get to a straight on section which is the start of the new track. The turn 90 degrees left to the old track may be easy to walk by - there were a few logs on the ground last time I was there 2 months ago. Some up and down until you ascend onto the plateau and head south to Mt Difficult before turning east and making your way around to the Briggs Bluff turn off. Then clockwise around the loop to the Longpoint camps. The walk from Longpoint West to base of Mt Difficult is steep at first but is very pretty in the second part and affords great views of Wartook and other ranges.

Yes, the return takes you along some track and rock slabs before rejoining the track about 1 km past Briggs Bluff turn off, then you retrace Day 1 back to Beehive - this is where you could take the new track by descending the other end of the plateau and doubling back to Beehive - it’s actually very easy to do this by mistake anyway because the track leads you that way - you’ll see the Rockpool in the photo as you descend and that leads to the new track.

The maps you have will make it easy as navigation is not hard.

If you’re taking a youngster, I’d suggest an early start with lots of breaks. Sometimes I take friends and camp at Plantation campground the night before for an early start. Plantation can get crowded but we usually make a simple camp late in the evening and head off early before most are up.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 12:05 pm

Thanks again.

I found a blog with basically the route you've outlined: https://sunnyside-adventures.com/2017/0 ... grampians/
I'm guessing the ascent in the blog is on the old route....

Tino B wrote:If you’re taking a youngster, I’d suggest an early start with lots of breaks. Sometimes I take friends and camp at Plantation campground the night before for an early start. Plantation can get crowded but we usually make a simple camp late in the evening and head off early before most are up.

Grampians noob question: Do you need to drop in at Brambuk before doing the walk? I thought a trip intention form was required for Grampians walks and Brambuk doesn't open until about 9am.
If that's the case (unless you do it the day before), it negates an early start.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Major Mitchell Plateau

Postby Tino B » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 12:33 pm

Checking in at Brambuk is mandatory. I find that the staff there are not well informed. I've made several enquiries over the years about track conditions and water and haven't received any usable information - maybe I was just unlucky.

I always hike with a PLB, first aid kit and EpiPen. Phone reception is pretty good in most parts of the Mt Difficult walk but can be patchy in some valleys or below the summit.
Last edited by Tino B on Tue 10 Sep, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 1:35 pm

You can email your intentions form if you wish to do one. They'll call you and confirm where you will leave your car, estimated return etc.

The assistance with info on water etc is highly variable.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 2:17 pm

Just double checked, the intentions form is compulsory for overnight trips.

Good practice to be seen to be following the rules to the maximum extent possible given the dramas climbers have found themselves in, rightly or wrongly.
CraigVIC

Postby bmak » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 9:22 pm

The above suggestions in regards to the Mt Difficult walk are very good.
I’ve done similar many times and the views especially sunsets are the best.

The below photo was taken on my last walk recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tino B » Tue 10 Sep, 2019 1:27 pm

I stand corrected - lodging a trip intention form is mandatory. There is conflicting information on the brambuk.com.au site as it lists 3 overnight walks, and references to the closed Trooper Creek route to Mt Difficult and closed Briggs Bluff campsite. It appears that the PDF that is linked on the site was last updated some time after 2013.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 10 Sep, 2019 2:41 pm

Tino B wrote:I stand corrected - lodging a trip intention form is mandatory. There is conflicting information on the brambuk.com.au site as it lists 3 overnight walks, and references to the closed Trooper Creek route to Mt Difficult and closed Briggs Bluff campsite. It appears that the PDF that is linked on the site was last updated some time after 2013.

I rang Brambuk earlier today and the lady who answered told me the same thing (trip intention mandatory).
I confirmed the details about Beehive falls track, etc, and dispersed camping that you've provided.
The references to the closed Trooper Creek route are part of the reason why I didn't consider looking into Mt. Difficult.
I'm not expert at the Grampians, so I didn't know about Beehive falls track.
To be honest the Wonderland area are the only places I've been (except a school excursion up Mt. Abrupt back in the paleolithic era)
Thanks again, you've been very helpful!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 28 Sep, 2019 4:09 pm

Mt. Difficult is aptly named.
We had a crack, but the young fella was stuffed just after the rock arch.
He's been sick recently, and with a big pack (for him), I didn't want to push him and we headed back down.
IMG_0912.JPG

Missed the turn-off to the old track on the way up, so we went up the new steps both ways.
Couldn't even find the turn-off on the way down (for future reference).
Plenty of water in small drains/streams and pools at the moment.
Did see some feral goats in the vicinity.
IMG_0926.JPG

Those steps down to the waterfall are hard on the knees when you're loaded with a pack weighing about 20Kg which wobbles when you change direction.
I still think we got some good practice in, so all good
Scenery is beautiful, rocks have amazing textures.
LDAM0862.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

we'll be back....

Thanks again for the help!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Sun 13 Oct, 2019 4:58 pm

I did this walk as described by Tino B over the weekend and it's a great walk. There was plenty of water around and the flowers were out in force. Also took the chance to bag a few of the falls around.
Attachments
inCollage_20191013_174002755-800x800.jpg
inCollage_20191013_174002755-800x800.jpg (294.19 KiB) Viewed 17842 times
inCollage_20191013_173239407-800x800.jpg
inCollage_20191013_173239407-800x800.jpg (270.63 KiB) Viewed 17842 times
CraigVIC

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 13 Oct, 2019 7:07 pm

Great photos and well done!
The way Tino B suggested to go up, the old track, where does this diverge from the new track?
I missed it both ways.
Is it before or after this 'grotto' (left of photo) near the stop of the climb/steps after Beehive falls?
VEOY1271.JPG
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Sun 13 Oct, 2019 7:52 pm

It's after that after the next bit of climbing. The start has been concealed for obvious reasons but once you're on it then it's clearly marked and easy to follow.

If you download the official Parks Victoria Mt Difficult map on the Avenza app it still has the old route marked making it very easy to find.
CraigVIC

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 4:18 am

CraigVIC wrote:It's after that after the next bit of climbing. The start has been concealed for obvious reasons but once you're on it then it's clearly marked and easy to follow.

If you download the official Parks Victoria Mt Difficult map on the Avenza app it still has the old route marked making it very easy to find.

Thanks!
I have that map.
What I didn't do, is look at it until after I'd gone too far past it on the way up, and too close to the falls on the way down.
Using the GetLost topo map for navigation probably didn't help.
Anyway, I know next time that when I pass that point, to keep an eye on the Parks map.
Thanks again!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 12:47 pm

The official camp at longpoint west.
Attachments
inCollage_20191014_134156404-800x800.jpg
inCollage_20191014_134156404-800x800.jpg (295.36 KiB) Viewed 17731 times
CraigVIC

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 7:20 pm

The dunny and water tank at Long Point west are interesting additions. I am now tempted to give it go from that side as an overnighter in Spring 2020.I have walked in from the 4 x 4 track ,past that camp site and up to Mt. Difficult in dense fog as a day walk . It is a wild place.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria