Howitt road conditions

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Howitt road conditions

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Wed 14 Aug, 2019 5:46 pm

Hello, Im seeking firsthand info from locals & regulars, on the state of the Howitt road up to the gorge park. I will be in contact with parks this week however Im seeking on-the-ground input on this forum from those who indulge in this area in this time of year. Given the significant weather we had last week resulting in heavy snow at low altitude any commentary would be welcome. I drive 4wd, w/experience, chains, chainsaw (skilled), multiday snow camp experience, and recovery nous. Although comments from interstate and based on trips 10 years ago are nice, TBH Im asking for real time narrative if available.
Cheers HmaH1
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Howitt road conditions

Postby stry » Thu 15 Aug, 2019 7:01 pm

Seasonal road closures ?
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Thu 15 Aug, 2019 7:59 pm

Yep seasonally closed to the gorge carpark annually, yes Im am aware of this. Not a road condition but thanks.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Travis22 » Thu 15 Aug, 2019 9:48 pm

I was up there a couple weeks ago so really dont think i can provide any worthwhile information given the amount of snow that has fallen in the last week.

However id be surprised if the top half of Tamboritha rd isnt impassable, if not from fallen trees then sheer snow depth.

Prior to the recent snowfall there was little snow left up there, the usual car swallowing pot holes are scattered along the way but other then that it was all clear.

Travis.
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Victoria