Craig's Hut Question

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Craig's Hut Question

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:29 pm

http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads/blu ... st-3070651

Some Craig's hut pic.s from my solo snow shoe trip are here from 4.7.16.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Postby KatieG » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi,
This thread has been helpful.
I snowshoed Mt Stirling last year in the aim of getting to Craig’s Hut with my then 8yo daughter. Unfortunately due to a mess around hiring shoes, we didn’t get to TBJ until after 10am. The late start meant we only made it to the summit and then back to Bluff Spur Hut to camp (Reached the summit around 4pm). She’s keen to try again this year, so I’m keen to find out if the OP ever attempted it.
My daughter is fairly fit as she’s very active (MTB, acrobatics, swimming, etc, each week). She made it to the summit fairly well (Considering it’s all uphill from TBJ). I was planning on allowing 3 days there and back purely judging on last time (carrying enough food, etc for 4 as well as a SPOT).

Thanks!
KatieG
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby fixa » Thu 08 Aug, 2019 8:33 am

KatieG wrote:Hi,
This thread has been helpful.
I snowshoed Mt Stirling last year in the aim of getting to Craig’s Hut with my then 8yo daughter. Unfortunately due to a mess around hiring shoes, we didn’t get to TBJ until after 10am. The late start meant we only made it to the summit and then back to Bluff Spur Hut to camp (Reached the summit around 4pm). She’s keen to try again this year, so I’m keen to find out if the OP ever attempted it.
My daughter is fairly fit as she’s very active (MTB, acrobatics, swimming, etc, each week). She made it to the summit fairly well (Considering it’s all uphill from TBJ). I was planning on allowing 3 days there and back purely judging on last time (carrying enough food, etc for 4 as well as a SPOT).

Thanks!

Hi Katie.
I did end up doing it, the hardest bits were the walk to Bluff spur hut, and on the return the final climb up to GGS hut. From GGS to Craigs it is mostly down hill, there was lots of soft deep snow when we did it. Great walk! The heater in Craigs is useless since its all stone floor, so bring warm clothes!
fixa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Victoria