Desktop version
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Overnight Hikes in the Otways?

Mon 30 Sep, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi all,
Brand new to this forum. I've been quietly reading over the last month or so and have recently done a couple of day walks in Werribee Gorge State Park and Lerderderg. This weekend we're heading off on our first overnighter into Lerderderg which is exciting. :D
The plan after that is to do an overnighter in the Otways. Can anyone recommend a good either loop or walk-in/out trip? We would like to walk 10-14km each day, so 20+km round trip over the two days.

Any suggestions?

Re: Overnight Hikes in the Otways?

Mon 30 Sep, 2013 7:14 pm

Welcome to the forum Bow. We did an overnighter in May this year about 10-15km south-east of Forrest. We parked the car at the start of Curtis Track which is off Mount Sabine Rd. We hiked down Cutis Track for a few kms until we reached Cumberland River. Just over the river on the left hand side is a track which took us to a number of falls including Galliebarinda, Brunswick, Yannathan and Upper Cumberland. The track is looped and finshes about 50-100m before the Cumberland River crossing. We camped the night in a clearing near the river. There are a couple of other tracks off Cutis Track which take you to other falls including Ampitheatre, Hidden, Allambee Beek and Staircase Falls. Not sure how many kms we did but I doubt it would be the 20+kms you were hoping for. It was a beautiful area though and I highly recommend it.

Mon 30 Sep, 2013 9:44 pm

MickyB,

Are there any websites or books that have the coordinates? I live in Geelong and am planning some Otways trips soon and this sounds great. Not exactly sure where those places are though.

Thanks.

Mon 30 Sep, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi vorpal. No websites that I know of. I used Meridian Otways 4WD map. I do have coordinates of the waterfalls which I can PM you with (give me a day or so to find them). The start of the track (off Curtis Track) is a bit hard to find but once you are on it pink ribbons lead the way.

Mon 30 Sep, 2013 10:36 pm

Awesome. Really appreciate that. Just bought that map online so hopefully will help out a bit :)

Thanks MickyB.

Tue 01 Oct, 2013 8:06 am

The Otway Ranges Bushwalking Club have a DVD available to members showing the location of waterfalls, corrected tracks, gorges and historic landmarks such as tramways etc. I don't have it but it sounds like it would be worth purchasing (and becoming a member).

http://www.otwaywalks.com/DVD.html

The book '250 Victorian Waterfalls' by Ray Barber and Ian Wacey also have some track notes and GPS coordinates. The track notes can be a bit vague and a couple of GPS coordinates are incorrect so I wouldn't go bush with just there book and no map. The book contains info on about 50 falls from the Otways.

Tue 01 Oct, 2013 8:20 am

Link for an excellent map by Spatial Vision of Lorne walking tracks, campsites etc.
https://svmaps.com.au/index.php?option= ... egory_id=6

Tue 01 Oct, 2013 8:41 am

trickos wrote:Link for an excellent map by Spatial Vision of Lorne walking tracks, campsites etc.
https://svmaps.com.au/index.php?option= ... egory_id=6

This link didn't work. Try this one (Click on 'Walk Guides' to search for Lorne map)

https://svmaps.com.au/index.php

Tue 01 Oct, 2013 12:11 pm

vorpal - PM sent

Wed 02 Oct, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks Mickey B for your help. Sounds great, we'll take your advice I think. I'll let you know how we go.

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:18 pm

Bow wrote:Hi all,
Brand new to this forum. I've been quietly reading over the last month or so and have recently done a couple of day walks in Werribee Gorge State Park and Lerderderg. This weekend we're heading off on our first overnighter into Lerderderg which is exciting. :D
The plan after that is to do an overnighter in the Otways. Can anyone recommend a good either loop or walk-in/out trip? We would like to walk 10-14km each day, so 20+km round trip over the two days.

Any suggestions?

Hi Bow
It really depends what you want / expect from the Otways.
I have walked parts of the the GOW a couple of times and my overall fave is from Elliot River to Cape Otway or even Glen Aire.
Depends on your fitness but I find I can do 2 sections a day (about 20km).
Elliot River is a delightful Forest camp around tall E. regnans forest which is a true delight.
Blanket Bay can be a bit ordinary on the weekends and Public Holidays especially. There tends to be overflow from the car camp and can be noisy.
Cape Otway is away from car camping so is usually quieter but is an iconic destination for Easy-walk-in groups (I had a scout-troop there one weekend).
Wye River is the most busy (drive in) campsite although the walk-in camp is above this, its not pretty, spacious or blessed with a view.
Johanna Beach can be nice away from busy times and has a huge expanse of beach.
Have fun
Steve

Tue 21 Mar, 2017 2:48 pm

MickyB wrote:Hi vorpal. No websites that I know of. I used Meridian Otways 4WD map. I do have coordinates of the waterfalls which I can PM you with (give me a day or so to find them). The start of the track (off Curtis Track) is a bit hard to find but once you are on it pink ribbons lead the way.

Hi,

Sorry to reopen such an old thread, I am always wandering around Victoria from my base in Ballarat and would be keen to get to these falls around the Curtis Track area. Any chance you could send me a list of coordinates as mentioned above?

Thanks

Tue 21 Mar, 2017 4:58 pm

Welcome to the forum John.

PM sent.

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 11:56 am

MickyB wrote:Welcome to the forum John.

PM sent.

MickyB. I've been looking for a track to walk this weekend while in Forrest and what you describe sounds ideal, would you mind sending me a message with the coordinates - thanks!

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 7:53 pm

If you can get a copy of '250 Victorian Waterfalls' it's got all the info needed to get going on off track Otways falls.
Post a reply