Cathedral SF Southern Loop

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cathedral SF Southern Loop

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 21 Feb, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi,
I was thinking of doing the Cathedral SF Southern Loop (Sugarload-Razorback-Farmyard, then loop back) as a day hike.
Is that feasible with a couple of kids (9 and 7)? And is it wise?
How long would it take for not unfit, but not superfit?
I've read some descriptions of the walk as a bit hairy, especially by the cave route up to Sugarloaf (I think we'd take the Canyon route), and the Razorback ridge.
But I was talking to a friend who did it as a kid with Scouts or something and he didn't think it rated that much.
Given that was probably 30 years ago, he might not remember how bad it was, that past isn't what it used to be as they say....
Thoughts?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Cathedral SF Southern Loop

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 21 Feb, 2020 7:18 pm

When I did it with a mate we were followed up the most difficult scramble by a family with kids that age. Once you get up to sugarloaf it doesn't get any harder. Just need to be prepared to bail at the canyon if it doesn't happen.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 21 Feb, 2020 7:50 pm

I have not been there for a while, so the following may be dated. There are or were two routes from the Sugarloaf car park. One goes around the back, the west side, veer left near the start. I found this unpleasant as the angle of the route under rock was hard on the ankles.

The other goes up the slabs, veer right near the start, on the track that climbers use. Wells Cave is tight, awkward and tricky access route. I'd avoid this with kids or going uphill. Instead, follow the route around this and go up a series of easy steps to just north of Wells Cave. From Wells Cave you drop down one terrace, maybe 2 metres, and then traverse. Just follow the pads or tracks. Or the track may bypass Wells Cave totally, down a few terraces.

The most interesting part is next, easy but slightly exposed scrambling where falling is a bad idea. It's not technically hard but children may not have the reach to get the handholds. Consider roping up and belaying if the kids look suss. A bowline around the waist should suffice. The top here is broad, maybe 3 metres, and flat

The ridge north is narrow in places and great care is needed. It's not hard, just narrow with a plunge factor. Several people have fallen off near here. At The Farmyard, one option is to go steeply down the hill on the track to the road, and then back via the road, uphill and a slog but easier than retracing the ridge.

I'd allow most of a day for this. Returning via the road means that you get water in the middle of the walk and the road is viable in fading light.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 21 Feb, 2020 8:42 pm

I'd just add that you would want it to be dry with no rain predicted.
CraigVIC

Postby Xastorm » Sat 22 Feb, 2020 9:16 am

It’s quite scrambley, I’d take a rope to belay them up.
E80EAFEF-A35E-4E6C-A931-1035919559C4.jpeg

(That was not the cave way).
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 22 Feb, 2020 6:03 pm

CraigVic is correct - avoid the place if it's wet or looks like being wet. If anyone needs a belay getting up the section in the above pic, turn back. That's an easy section with no exposure. Is that on The Razorback going south or going up from the Sugarloaf car park? Are there orange markers on the east and west tracks from the Sugarloaf car park?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 22 Feb, 2020 7:40 pm

Thanks all.
If that photo is on the canyon route, then yikes!
I showed it the my better half and she gave a bit nup to taking our two boys up that.
They are either getting on great or fighting like cats and dogs and together don't focus on where they're going.
Things like the Pinnacle in the Grampians are cool, but something where there's signification exposure, not so much.
If I went with the 9 year old alone, it'd be maybe possible, he's tall for his age, and concentrates when he isn't bouncing off his little bro.
I wouldn't know how to belay, so a rope would give a false sense of safety.
Anyway, cheers!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xastorm » Sun 23 Feb, 2020 7:16 pm

Semi related.. I was out there today (climbing of all things :wink:, and good call Baeng..)

What are the mountains you can see on the horizon? Buller and Buffalo?
28E7E040-3B9F-4EDC-A151-7FA318EA4E1A.jpeg
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby peregrinator » Sun 23 Feb, 2020 9:01 pm

Xastorm wrote:Semi related.. I was out there today (climbing of all things :wink:, and good call Baeng..)

What are the mountains you can see on the horizon? Buller and Buffalo?
28E7E040-3B9F-4EDC-A151-7FA318EA4E1A.jpeg

Good question, Xastorm. I have not been there for decades, but how about Mt Samaria (not Mt Buller) and Mt Buffalo?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xastorm » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 7:21 am

That could make sense as Buller would be more to the east and have the Bluff, etc adjacent. I have not been to Mt Samaria.. is it worth a look?
Thanks
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 2:48 pm

Going roughly north from where the picture was taken - along the valley - Samaria and Wabonga Plateau seem to fit. Buller is a little too far to the right. Buller and Stirling would probably block the line of sight to Buffalo, as Buller is higher than Buffalo. North Jawbones has a lovely climb, Spiegals Overhang. Was the pic taken from North Jawbones?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby peregrinator » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 3:41 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Going roughly north from where the picture was taken - along the valley - Samaria and Wabonga Plateau seem to fit. Buller is a little too far to the right. Buller and Stirling would probably block the line of sight to Buffalo, as Buller is higher than Buffalo. North Jawbones has a lovely climb, Spiegals Overhang. Was the pic taken from North Jawbones?

Between us, I think we have the answer: Samaria and, almost due east, Wabonga. Looking roughly NE from Cathedral Ra.

I should have got out some maps. The range on the right appeared to more distant than the one on the left. But that may be a result of atmospheric haze. Or dodgy eyesight. Mt Samaria is 949 m and Mt View is 978 m.

I have a SR & PN Brookes Wabonga Plateau Section 1:50k that's never been used. About time it was. But first have to check fire impact on that area -- running out of places to walk.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xastorm » Wed 26 Feb, 2020 8:56 pm

Good spotting, north jawbone indeed.

Now I’ve looked at the map, I’ve realised I’ve done a bit of cycling through the Wabonga Plateau. Pretty cool to see it from afar!
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Victoria