Bungonia o'night

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bungonia o'night

Postby Sa rah » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 12:41 pm

Hey guys - I'm new to this forum. Has any one hiked the Bungonia circuit as an over night trip? It looks like a fairly short hike but I'm just keen to get a pack on my back and head out for a quick trip. Forecast is for 5mm of rain in the area - does anyone know if this is enough to make the canyon section a no go? Thanks in advance!
Sa rah
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bungonia o'night

Postby Zapruda » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 2:03 pm

Sa rah wrote:Hey guys - I'm new to this forum. Has any one hiked the Bungonia circuit as an over night trip? It looks like a fairly short hike but I'm just keen to get a pack on my back and head out for a quick trip. Forecast is for 5mm of rain in the area - does anyone know if this is enough to make the canyon section a no go? Thanks in advance!

Yeah it’s a short walk but it is strenuous and there is lots to explore. There is some nice camping down on the confluence of the Shoalhaven and Bungonia Creek. Get back to the car park via the Mt Ayre track.

The gorge won’t flood from 5mm but the boulder choke might prove slippery with rain. You wouldn’t want to fall between one of those boulders and hurt yourself.

Enjoy the walk. It’s stunning.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby clarence » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 6:53 pm

What Zapruda said is spot on. Some good camping spots downstream along the Shoalhaven a little way also.

Is Bungonia open at the moment?

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Zapruda » Thu 18 Jun, 2020 2:10 pm

clarence wrote:Is Bungonia open at the moment?

Sure is.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Sa rah » Fri 19 Jun, 2020 10:00 am

Thanks guys! I've decided to postpone and wait for some good weather as I'm taking a couple of hiking newbies with me and don't want to scare them off straight away. Really appreciate the camping advice though - cant wait to spend a night down there!
Sa rah
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Neo » Fri 19 Jun, 2020 11:25 pm

Easiest way is perhaps taking the Red track going down, then descend the gorge of boulders, it is awesome. Camp at the northern side of the junction with the Shoalhaven. Then from there climb out or go 'upstream' for another night along the western bank then walk back to the public area.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT