Bouddi damage

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bouddi damage

Postby polas » Sat 25 Apr, 2020 11:59 am

Sometimes people make me really angry. I went yesterday to a rarely visited spot in Bouddi. It is getting more and more popular in the recent years but used to be deserted. What I would on the amazing rock formations made my blood boil. I would love to find the idiodts who ruined the rocks there and confront them. I guess I should be happy they didn't use spray paint but still the damage is permanent. There was more all over the area. Why???
Attachments
D1F6D693-0503-47B8-9B0D-C36D2BE39ADD.jpeg
E7CEFFB4-648A-49FF-9B0B-C6339834F10F.jpeg
polas
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bouddi damage

Postby fat_doggie » Sat 25 Apr, 2020 6:16 pm

can we perhaps use sand paper to get it off?
fat_doggie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Sat 25 Apr, 2020 7:49 pm

Maybe a laundry brush and water if it is charcoal?
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby polas » Sun 26 Apr, 2020 9:12 pm

The rain will wash the charcoal but the grooves will stay. Some stuff was carved with a rock... So silly and unnecessary.
polas
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ribuck » Mon 27 Apr, 2020 12:14 am

In cases like this, I scrub the marks off anyway. If the perpetrator passes by again, they won't get the positive reinforcement of seeing their creation.

Sandstone is always weathering. I think you'll be surprised how quickly these marks will disappear after being given a wet scrub.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby mandragara » Mon 27 Apr, 2020 1:47 pm

Very sad to see.

Recently, some kids made a massive set up in some sandstone overhangs in a Reserve that I used to play under as a child. Previously, they had seen no damage, all done in a one off event. Graffiti, milk crate sofa, illegal fire etc.

61569-20171014203557370.jpg

The overhangs are much nicer than this photo lets on, it was taken to show the most damage, not to highlight the rocks. Bouddi is still far, far superior of course.

I promptly removed the milk crate furnature. It must have taken half a dozen people to carry them so far into the bush. I've still been meaning to clean off the graffiti myself, even if it does damage the rock faces slightly, it'd still be an improvement to the low-effort graffiti.

I find this sort of graffiti quite cowardly. Graffiti has it's place as urban art, a way for people to criticise society by damaging societies idols (statues, advertising billboards etc.). I remember fondly the time someone graffiti'd "CONSUME" over those annoying video billboards at Chatswood station. Graffiti in a national park is the complete opposite of this, there's zero risk and your art is sending basically zero message. It's like a toddler drawing on the bedroom walls.
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT