Desktop version
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

secluded watering hole in the blueys?

Tue 28 Jan, 2020 7:31 pm

Hi just looking for a couple of spots to hike into that have a watering hole to keep cool.

I haven’t got canyoning gear but I am an experienced hiker, so I’m happy to hike in/out anything.

Any thoughts or ideas on what’s left of the blue mountains?

Cheers!

Re: secluded watering hole in the blueys?

Tue 28 Jan, 2020 10:47 pm

Made me chuckle. A watering hole is slang for somewhere to drink. But I'm sure that's not what you're after!

The Blue Mountains have lots of great water holes. Unfortunately, most are currently off limits due to park closures, and many are in burnt areas that will remain closed for some time. If you look at topo maps, many waterholes are marked. But there's many more that aren't. I went on a quest many years ago to find the perfect waterhole. I got pretty close. But finding them is half the fun, so I won't give too much away.

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 5:06 am

Post a truly secluded spot on an open forum and I would guarantee it would not be secluded for very long. There are a number of nice places to swim with reasonable access in the Grose Valley. They are not secret spots but the adventurous can get away from the tourist. As above, access is dependent on fire closures.

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 6:06 am

Xplora wrote:Post a truly secluded spot on an open forum and I would guarantee it would not be secluded for very long.

This unfortunately. Instagram and location tagging has ruined many spots. Not just crowds but rubbish, vandalism and graffiti become an issue. Best to grap a topo and explore.

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 6:49 am

Ingar campground is officially open, but the road in is closed to cars https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/ca ... campground so I imagine there are a lot less people visiting that waterhole than usual.

Other suggestions - bedford creek from Terrace Falls (Hazelbrook), and glenbrook creek from Martins Lookout (Springwood).

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 10:17 am

Erskine Creek (Glenbrook area) has many nice waterholes. Challenging but fun walk down from Pisgah Rock. Wildwalks track notes: http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... -rock.html
Or easier (figuratively speaking) track down Jack Evans then rock hop up the creek. Wildwalks track notes: http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... creek.html

Cheers,
Michael.

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 3:31 pm

Vera and Hippocrene Falls below Wentworth Falls are good, and are open now afaict. Usually you don't get too many people down there, especially at Hippocrene Falls. There is a bit of navigation required though, as the track isn't maintained below Wentworth Pass (although the nav is pretty easy). Plenty of options for swimming holes!

Mon 03 Feb, 2020 11:07 pm

If you walk down from Falcounbridge Ridge firetrail you can get to the Grose River, where there's a big pool to swim in.

The walk down is hard enough to dissuade the inexperienced, so should still be reasonably secluded

Wed 05 Feb, 2020 12:56 pm

heidiadelee wrote:Hi just looking for a couple of spots to hike into that have a watering hole to keep cool.

I haven’t got canyoning gear but I am an experienced hiker, so I’m happy to hike in/out anything.

Any thoughts or ideas on what’s left of the blue mountains?

Cheers!

The blueys is as dry as I have seen it in 40 years. There's been some rain recently, but my guess, based purely off the water level in Wentworth Falls creek, is any water hole will be but a puddle for a long time to come

Wed 05 Feb, 2020 1:08 pm

NickH wrote:The blueys is as dry as I have seen it in 40 years. There's been some rain recently, but my guess, based purely off the water level in Wentworth Falls creek, is any water hole will be but a puddle for a long time to come

Forecast is for ~100 mm of rain by Tuesday 11th... :? I'd prefer less, but with follow up rain.. but we get what we get. Have to wait and see.

Wed 05 Feb, 2020 4:04 pm

mandragara wrote:If you walk down from Falcounbridge Ridge firetrail you can get to the Grose River, where there's a big pool to swim in.

The walk down is hard enough to dissuade the inexperienced, so should still be reasonably secluded

The fire trail may be open, but my reading of the National Parks closure is that the entire Grose Valley remains off limits.

Wed 05 Feb, 2020 4:46 pm

FatCanyoner wrote:
mandragara wrote:If you walk down from Falcounbridge Ridge firetrail you can get to the Grose River, where there's a big pool to swim in.

The fire trail may be open, but my reading of the National Parks closure is that the entire Grose Valley remains off limits.

Does that area count as the Grose Valley though? It's much further downstream and the area is entirely unburnt, it's not immediately clear to me why they would close it.

Fri 07 Feb, 2020 6:07 am

pretty much any small depression in the whole blue mts should be a swimming hole after this weekend...

Sun 09 Feb, 2020 1:05 pm

climberman wrote:pretty much any small depression in the whole blue mts should be a swimming hole after this weekend...

May need to wait for the flow to slow down :!:

Sydney dam levels usually drop 0.2% per week .. now up 2% for the last week.

Sun 09 Feb, 2020 6:15 pm

FYI Climberman there's a secluded watering hole in my backyard right at this very moment. That may not sound like much but considering that I live on the very crest of a ridge in the Lower Bluies .... the rain's coming down faster than it can run down to Glenbrook Creek. Earlier today we received 52 mm in 3 1/2 hours, hopefully its enough to extinguish any hollow logs still smouldering.

Sun 09 Feb, 2020 7:57 pm

LachlanB wrote:Vera and Hippocrene Falls below Wentworth Falls are good.

Might be worth waiting a while.
https://twitter.com/katoomba_gal/status ... 2957035522

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 3:18 pm

[/quote]
The blueys is as dry as I have seen it in 40 years. There's been some rain recently, but my guess, based purely off the water level in Wentworth Falls creek, is any water hole will be but a puddle for a long time to come[/quote]

Just having a laugh at myself here!!! It seems, within hours of typing this prophetic statement, Wentworth Falls has received OVER 500mm OF RAIN!!!

Every water hole is officially an ocean!!

I took delivery of a 1000litre tank/pump/hose ember putter outerer in teeming rain that didn't stop!!! Only a matter of less than two weeks before, the Erskine Creek fire was threatening and smoke from back burning was everywhere.

Anyhoo, I have a fire fighting unit - unused atm...

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 3:37 pm

NickH wrote:Anyhoo, I have a fire fighting unit - unused atm...

You can use it for washing the car ... hoses are still banned under level 2 water restrictions... but it your using rain water your good to go.

I thought water restrictions were lifted once the dams reached 75% of capacity .. but not this time?
Post a reply