rescue costs

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

rescue costs

Postby polas » Thu 23 Jan, 2020 1:17 pm

I was always under the impression that rescue in NSW is free, however, a recent article published by Caro has shaken my beliefs:
https://lotsafreshair.com/2020/01/21/do ... australia/

does joining a bushwalking club cover hikes outside the club? I guess not. So what are our options for people without private insurance?
polas
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: rescue costs

Postby Mark F » Thu 23 Jan, 2020 1:30 pm

My understanding is that rescue is free but transport to medical facilities after the rescue drops you off at a safe location is not. Example - you set off you plb , spot etc after being injured. The helicopter picks you up and drops you at a rendezvous point where the ambulance service collects you. You are liable for only the cost of the ambulance ride to the hospital. If the helicopter transported you directly to the hospital there would be no charge.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby polas » Thu 23 Jan, 2020 1:39 pm

thank you Mark.
that makes more sense now.
polas
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GBW » Thu 23 Jan, 2020 1:40 pm

Worth having ambulance subscription.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby skibug » Fri 24 Jan, 2020 2:52 pm

I had an experience two years ago where I was rescued by helicopter from Kanagra Boyd N.P (I'm not proud of this story), and flown directly to Liverpool Hospital (about 30 minutes flight, though the chopper was in the air for probably more like 60 - 90 minutes. I subsequently received an invoice for something like $1500, which was paid for by my ambulance insurance (Medibank Ambulance cover, about $120/annum for a family of 4). So Caro is correct, at least judging by my own experience.

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wallwombat » Sat 25 Jan, 2020 9:20 am

Ambulance cover is a cheap.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rcaffin » Mon 27 Jan, 2020 5:53 pm

does joining a bushwalking club cover hikes outside the club
I think you can simply 'register' your walk with the club to which you belong.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby NormM » Tue 28 Jan, 2020 7:36 pm

skibug wrote:I had an experience two years ago where I was rescued by helicopter from Kanagra Boyd N.P (I'm not proud of this story), and flown directly to Liverpool Hospital (about 30 minutes flight, though the chopper was in the air for probably more like 60 - 90 minutes. I subsequently received an invoice for something like $1500, which was paid for by my ambulance insurance (Medibank Ambulance cover, about $120/annum for a family of 4). So Caro is correct, at least judging by my own experience.

Skibug

Damn, now I want to know the storyb :o
NormM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kjbeath » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 7:55 am

My understanding is that there are several possibilities. You are rescued by a charity, like the Westpac Rescue Helicopter, then there is no charge except if they drop you somewhere and the trip is completed by road or air ambulance. The same applies to police or defence forces. You are rescued by an air ambulance. Then there is a charge for the transport to the hospital but it is based on the straight line distance and you don't pay for the helicopter trying to find you, etc.

I just pay my ambulance, so it is one less thing to worry about.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT